DCS not multi-threaded?

Callsign.Vega

thanks for clearing this up. But aren't the i5 and AMD Ryzen (almost) all quad cores? That should be the starting point for development. I would be happy to pay my share for DCS development.

I believe just about every ‘gaming’ cpu since Broadwell has been quad core, so that’s over 5-years. People run all kinds of stuff though, how many times have you seen a post on Hoggit from somebody through the roof excited after saving for a Black Friday rift to fly FC3 planes on a 10 year old laptop? PC market is small already, hardcore sims with modules that take most people a year to learn (if they ever do), are a fraction of that. I certainly don’t blame devs or publishers for keeping minimum reqs as low as possible, and it keep community bigger, which is good for everyone.

I agree though. Obviously everyone would want better performance, I’m just not sure where it falls in the priority list with all the stuff they have in the pipeline. What would you choose? Feature complete hornet, viper EA? Or an improved engine?

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

if you take finance classes or run a business, you learn it doesn’t work like that.

it doesn’t matter how much the customer spends on “other” products, it only depends how much they spend on “your” product.

if they charged 10x more for DCS, they could do a lot more development and optimization.

but for $79? that only pays for about 1 hour of work.

The whole hardware is worth nothing without the software. Why are people willing to spend $150-$1500 for a virtual space ship? I'm sure many VR owners are also willing to spend a higher budget than $79 for a VR improved version. Maybe a kickstarter campaign could help too.

DCS is a software gem and needs improvement of the core system to be competitive in the future.

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

....... to be competitive in the future.

regardless of your opinion, there is no competition that I was aware of.

unless you call worldofwarplanes competition.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

regardless of your opinion, there is no competition that I was aware of.

unless you call worldofwarplanes competition.

At the moment there is no real competition, that's right. But I don't think it's a good idea to rely on that in the future. Maybe Microsoft will have the most innovative idea to develop a new Modern Combat Flight Simulator in the future with optimized VR and a dynamic campaign ;-)

I9 9900K @ 5Ghz | MSI Z390 Gaming Carbon Pro | KFA2 GTX 1080 Ti | 64 GB Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 250GB SSD | Pimax 5K+ | Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | Wheelstand Pro Flight

At the moment there is no real competition, that's right. But I don't think it's a good idea to rely on that in the future. Maybe Microsoft will have the most innovative idea to develop a new Modern Combat Flight Simulator in the future with optimized VR and a dynamic campaign ;-)

Yep, agreed. DCS is good, but competition will come, it always does. It will come with a vengeance, and we will all be there with our $79. Until then, DCS...keep the shine on.

TI-84 graphics calculator (overclocked) 24 KB RAM

Simple bottom line, if I'm invested in an AM3+ motherboard, what's the fastest/best AMD chip for playing DCS?

aka MadMonk; Windows 10, 64 bit, Radeon 6800XT gpu, Ryzen 5 5600 cpu, 32 gig ram; Samsung 2TB EVO SSD, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Saitek combat rudder pedals; Oculus Rift.

Simple bottom line, if I'm invested in an AM3+ motherboard, what's the fastest/best AMD chip for playing DCS?

Highest clock speed you can get within the rated TDP of your motherboard. FX9590 if your board can power it, FX8370 or FX8350 if it can’t. Either way, performance will be limited. Probably better off buying a cheap B450 mobo and Ryzen 2600 and overclock, for around the same price as that FX9590... and the electricity savings will pay for itself! :lol:

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

AM4?

Or wait AMD might be able to match current Intel clock speeds with Ryzen 3000 series

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I am soooo waiting... got my AM4 board and first gen Ryzen just waiting for a new 3000 series chip!

I recommended AM4 just because it’s the best bang for buck right now, if money is the issue for him.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I am soooo waiting... got my AM4 board and first gen Ryzen just waiting for a new 3000 series chip!

I recommended AM4 just because it’s the best bang for buck right now, if money is the issue for him.

Yes and if we get VR optimizations and Vulkan API, Ryzen could be a win win. :)

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

@ Rudel_chw I noticed you listed the devices you have and what used for...curious..I am inverse of you with respect to have Macs @ home and before closing my business of 21yrs had PCs at my office..in fact lot of PCs (60+) along with 5x HP Powerdedge 710R Servers..I've been desperately trying to figure out if I can use any components of the servers or the virtual workstation PCs for gaming or at the least w minimum expense relatively speaking-I was hoping a motherboard, power supply, RAM, Fans, Case, even all the HD I have could be used with need to only buy a CPU & GPU for DCS (and peripherals)..al the PCs only have i3 CPUs & serves have older intel XEONs...I have no idea if any of the MOBOs could be used..Too much & not sure what to do with it all..but anycase, I noticed ur iMac is the same model as 1 of mine yet you have a i7 CPU??? Did u upgrade from the i3? Also with the i7 CPU would u be able to (if needed) to attach an eGPU, use bootcamp or whatever and run DCS THROUGH ur Mac on the Mac monitor (which is nice monitor) I also have a 21in imac (2011), 2 Macbook-pro, 2 MB Airs (2013)..the MB Air has a i5 CPU but only 2.4ghz so I not going to try a eGPU...I want a PC to game with, edit, record..my "gaming" would be exclusively DCS (perhaps another WWII flight sim) and that's about it...was curious when I saw the i7 in the older iMac...can't wait to get set-up whenever I figure out how to rid myself of all these workstation PCs/Servers...if ED could use let me know or anyone who reading feel free to contact me...email...AUCEO@OUTLOOK.COM

Yes and if we get VR optimizations and Vulkan API, Ryzen could be a win win. :)

Looking good! Single core performance on par with the 9900K in an early sample, with much lower power consumption. Release versions could even be higher...

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7nm-cpu-radeon,38399.html

Actually as a side not and OT I checked out some parts I had packed away and found an AMD 8088 and an Intel 8088 circa 1981, both refer to copyright 1978 It made me think of the 8086K and with 40 years of competition AMD are still going strong. I might even have a couple of V30 chips kicking around somewhere. :noexpression:

Thanks for the link, very interesting times.

we could start a gofundme page to hire a VR programmer to help get DCS optimized. $250K should be enough for 10-12 months.

a bit more than the $79 we pay now but based on what i read in the forum, everyone would be happy to pay.

Hmmm, not a bad idea. Something ED could start.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Hmmm, not a bad idea. Something ED could start.

Yes, I would support this!

Hi.

I presume you ment AM4

I had the 1800x and now i have the 2700X ryzen cpu

2700x run 3700mhz on all 8 cores a minimum, and can boost up to like 4300mhz

Well at least that is the offical numbers.

BUT the 2700x is a modern smart cpu.. If you have a good cpu cooler then it will mesure performance and automatic run faster.

MY 2700x run all the time with about 4000mhz and boost up to about 4550mhz on all cores.

By the way it do reduce the speed of some cores to boost a few cores. But this is something the cpu it self mesure.. Example if a games do not use 8 cores then it register this and boost exaple 2 or 4 cores to run faster and the other slower.

I am very happy with my ryzen 2700x it a "cheap" cpu with 8 cores 16 threads and compared to the 1800 ryzen that barly could overclock highter than 3900mhz then the ryzen 2700x run much better, and all my bios settings are on auto by the way without overclocking.

( my ram run with 3200mhz )

All in all the first time i power on the cmputer with the 2700x cpu then the computer felt more smooth and faster than before.

( tip if you buy a new cpu, then always update your bios before you install the new cpu )

AND unregister your dcs modules/keys.

Hi.

I presume you ment AM4

BUT the 2700x is a modern smart cpu.. If you have a good cpu cooler then it will mesure performance and automatic run faster.

MY 2700x run all the time with about 4000mhz and boost up to about 4550mhz on all cores.

By the way it do reduce the speed of some cores to boost a few cores. But this is something the cpu it self mesure.. Example if a games do not use 8 cores then it register this and boost exaple 2 or 4 cores to run faster and the other slower.

I am very happy with my ryzen 2700x it a "cheap" cpu with 8 cores 16 threads and compared to the 1800 ryzen that barly could overclock highter than 3900mhz then the ryzen 2700x run much better, and all my bios settings are on auto by the way without overclocking.

All in all the first time i power on the cmputer with the 2700x cpu then the computer felt more smooth and faster than before.

( tip if you buy a new cpu, then always update your bios before you install the new cpu )

Im still runnin the 1800x.... not even a hiccup... and im not even OC'ing it in DCS... but i do usually keep it locked at 60fps... with the load pretty well spread among 3 or 4 cores... so none of them ever even get close to becoming saturated...

noproblemshere.thumb.JPG.7b3544b5f0c25d93e90a2d84a5ba2d24.JPG

Ryzen R7 1800x|EVGA FTW3 1080Ti|32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum@2666mhz|Samsung 750 EVO|LG 4k 50" Main Display|ASUS PB278Q Reference Display|

I noticed ur iMac is the same model as 1 of mine yet you have a i7 CPU??? Did u upgrade from the i3?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMac#Timeline_of_iMac_and_Macintosh_models

There were different versions, from Core2 up to i7.

You should just sell all the HW you have because you won't have any use of it for DCS apart of some dedicated server. Even if you could do a cluster with those machines - you can't link it in a way to use with a game that needs high fps.

Even best server rigs today are quickly overpowered by home PCs after a few years.

(tip if you buy a new cpu, then always update your bios before you install the new cpu)

Update bios only if necessary - not always mandatory.

You should deactivate only DRM managed modules in DCS before HW changes.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

About 7 years ago I had the same discussion about using all cores (multi CPU/GPU engine), but some people had the argue that it would need a complete rewrite of simulation engine and it might take several years, and by the time that it is done we would not even have PC ...!

As of today we still have PC, and with new technologies like VR there is even more demand for optimization and utilizing every single bit of hardware.

Back then ED had 55 employees, now that they have 120 it seems it is a possibility. as we need our DCS forever :)

I hope by 2020 ED finish the acquisition of UNIGINE (another Russian company) and integrate the simulation engine, the most realistic, most optimized engine ever :)

Let's fly together for the sake of peace :)

About 7 years ago I had the same discussion about using all cores (multi CPU/GPU engine), but some people had the argue that it would need a complete rewrite of simulation engine and it might take several years, and by the time that it is done we would not even have PC ...!

As of today we still have PC, and with new technologies like VR there is even more demand for optimization and utilizing every single bit of hardware.

Back then ED had 55 employees, now that they have 120 it seems it is a possibility. as we need our DCS forever :)

I hope by 2020 ED finish the acquisition of UNIGINE (another Russian company) and integrate the simulation engine, the most realistic, most optimized engine ever :)

Now my having an 8 core/16 thread CPU I would certainly like to see this.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi.

I presume you ment AM4

I've got the 1800x, cant push it past 3.975, so its good to see the 2700x perform this well! This bares well for the last generation of AM4 cpus! :thumbup: