Screen flickering since 2.5.4

ams999

"3D application"

In NVIDIA control panel the setting is: the 3D application manage options, so DCS

In DCS HIGH setting flickers came, in LOW and MEDIUM graphics preset there are no flickers in my tracks.

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

I've also been experiencing the odd black screen flicker.

GTX 980 all updated.

I'm going to try run a few sorties with the GeForce experience turned off, but I suspect i'll still see flickering.

Edited by Ammuka
more info

DCS 2.5.5.32533 Open Beta

common ED ...

flickering is back again

worked so flawless in the latest few open betas and now it is back again !!!

Edited by maquez

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

Steam Profile, Twitch, Youtube

By the black flickering, do you mean here that there are large chunks of black (I see them on water) that come and go?

Cause that's what I've got.

no the whole screen does go black for few milliseconds several times and that is very annoying

watch here:

Edited by maquez

i9 11900K, ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming, ROG STRIX RTX 3060 TI, G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz, Thrustmaster T1600 Flight Pack, TrackIR 5

Hardware Benchmark

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-14B, F-16C, F-5E, F-86F, F/A-18C, FC3, JF-17, Ka-50, M-2000C, Mi-8MTV2, Mi-24P, MiG-15bis, MiG-21bis, SA342, UH-1H, Persian Gulf, Syria, NTTR, Combined Arms

I have them *especially* when flying low: in helicopters, followed by DCS crashing. Happens after about 1 minute in every mission I fly.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

I have them *especially* when flying low: in helicopters, followed by DCS crashing. Happens after about 1 minute in every mission I fly.

same here

this time the flickering is really terrible I hope it will get fixed with next update like this DCS is unplayable

Edited by maquez

Hardware Benchmark

• 2 weeks later...

Seems this is getting worse with ever consecutive update after 2.5.5: now I have them at high altitudes as well: just did 3 IA missions in the SoH map with the F-14 and F/A-18, and all 3 of them exhibited black screen flickering followed by the unavoidable DCS TDR crash:

First crashed while I was RTB at 20k ft, 2nd one after I landed on the Stennis, and 3rd while RTB at around 15k ft.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

• 1 month later...

I'm still having this issue in 2.5.5.34864. I've tried G-sync on and off v-sync on and off, all the cockpit resolution modes. Dynamic weather on weather off, I've disabled all background apps and still no luck it appears like a black box in the background or boxes that flashes quickly through then disappears rapidly.

Will post video of it later tonight.

Need to do more testing but I believe it was the discord Overlay causing my issue. Disabled it and i think its stopped.

Nope still flashing. Boo.

Edited by Badass1982

So I tried putting the sea on low and this was my result:

I'm running the latest open beta, latest NVIDIA drivers a 2080ti an ASUS 3440 x 1440 100hz monitor 64GB RAM Core i7 5960X WD NVME SSD.

I have also tried to use rtss to limit my framerate to 3 frames below the monitors refresh I have enabled gsyn and vsync in the nvcp and disabled vsync in the game. Nothing I'm trying is fixing this issue. Glad I'm not the only one having this though. Please look into it ED.

Edited by Badass1982
Updating things I've tried.

G-Sync was the culprit for me I completely Disabled it and ran the game again. All my flickering seems to have gone whilst playing DCS , now I have to see if I can re-enable it for my other games and just disable it for DCS. Come on ED support GSync officially.

And I take all the above back. Been testing for a while now. Gsync off (WHITE light on my PG ASUS UWS MONITOR and still getting the flickering. So frustrating.

Edited by Badass1982

The plot thickens with my flickering issues. On a hunch I tried running the game in windowed mode to see if it would flicker (at this point I wasn't just getting the weird black flickering that I posted in the below ED forums post) but I could see a light bar flickering at the top of the multiplayer server selection window.

I changed my regular 3440 x 1440 resolution to 1080p and ran in windowed mode. All signs of flickering has dissapeared. Still not ideal as it hasnt fixed the issue, I though I would pass this info on to the devs though.