So which textures you like better?

some1

Both screenshots from DCS screenshots page.

Old:

Cockpit2.png_Thumbnail0.jpg

New:

Bf-109-K-4-cockpit-update-3.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=199799&stc=1&d=1544810178

Bf-109-K-4-cockpit-update-1.jpg

Personally I have to admit I prefer the old one. ED again got rid of all baked shadows like in the MiG-29 PBR update, so the new cockpit lost some of the 3D feel. The centre console and Gun cover is now uniformly lit, same with dashboard under the windshield and pedals that now stand out against the black background.

No doubt some parts will look better in the sun, that's where PBR shines (literally).

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

I like that the baked-on shadow fakery is ending to let the engine (using deferred shading & PBR) handle the effects. Way to go, ED! :thumbup:.

Edited by rrohde
Typo

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

new for me

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Not to mention those pics can't be compared, first one a render, second one in game.

The first one is not a render, it's one of the in-game screenshots taken from https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/screenshots/268/

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

To avoid confusion, I made another screenshot in the similar conditions:

attachment.php?attachmentid=199799&stc=1&d=1544810178

Bf-109-K-4-cockpit-update-1.jpg

At least the new textures don't have the blueish tint that appeared after DCS went PBR. But still prefer baked shadows to complete uniform textures. DCS doesn't have good dynamic SSAO.

Screen_181214_184722.thumb.jpg.32622822aeb850f570849504a2153f5e.jpg

Edited by some1

To avoid confusion, I made another screenshot in the similar conditions:
If you say so I'll believe you, though still not sure as they also upload renders to screenshots, but may be in-game. That blue sky seemed to me that background they use in renders.

Anyhow, I still think second one is better though I'll wait to next week so I see in person and not just a screenshot.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Does anyone have period reference photos of the 109's cockpit?

I ask because I'm curious how beat up and 'old' they looked while operational. I feel like sometimes the cockpit wear gets overdone as the artists use 70 year old museum relics as reference.

I wish there were colour period pics with quality enough to see such a detail in a cockpit. I don't know of anything, that kind of things is a really rare thing and I can tell you I've search for modelling business, even worst such a relatively rare bird as K4 is, but lets see if somebody can enlighten us with something.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

I mean, here's a sight that has a few and they look pretty prestine.
But B&W pics can be really tricky, I've seen pics of the same aircraft in B&W and colour and B&W looks good and pristine as you say whilst in colour the aircraft is really battered.

Still, control panel looks good in the sun light but pay attention to canopy laterals (weird enough as you climb and step in left side but right also shows wear and tear having the cupola there) and look at foot rest down low, also dirt and battered. If we have to pay attention to pic info it says it's a Swiss Bf109G-6, so well maintained and not long flown aircraft, nothing to do with front line examples. And that's in a B&W pic.

S!

Swiss Bf109G-6s were either interned airplanes that landed on their territory during the war (means: used) or a batch of G6's bought in the '44 and probably flown just like any other machine during the war. These were not hangar queens.

Though one has to consider that Bf-109K's when the war has ended were, at worst, in service for only 5 months.

Swiss Bf109G-6s were either interned airplanes that landed on their territory during the war (means: used) or a batch of G6's bought in the '44 and probably flown just like any other machine during the war. These were not hangar queens.

Though one has to consider that Bf-109K's when the war has ended were, at worst, in service for only 5 months.

AFAIK, nope, G-6 were a pay for an aircraft (Bf110 with radar) that Germans wanted back, so brand new ones.

Anyhow, well those tend to be hangar queens, believe me. Whenever a country only owns a handful of aircraft and furthermore they are a late model hardly earned (as a bribe, well) high performance model like those were they are hangar queens and tend to be highly cared for sure. It happened in many countries. I mean, Swiss even has early export Emils examples in pristine condition at a museum mate…

On the other hand, as has been discussed before right here, IIRC K4 entered service as soon as October '44 (before G10 actually) and although shortage in fuel and everything in the late war they were there to the end (that's more than 5 months). But, being the ultimate 109 I'm sure they tried to use them as much as possible as probably everything they had, meaning several flight hours daily till they were destroyed or grounded for whatever reason, so highly battered aircraft that anyway were probably built in low quality and short time. It's a completely different scenario.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

Anyhow, well those tend to be hangar queens, believe me. Whenever a country only owns a handful of aircraft and furthermore they are a late model hardly earned (as a bribe, well) high performance model like those were they are hangar queens and tend to be highly cared for sure. It happened in many countries. I mean, Swiss even has early export Emils examples in pristine condition at a museum mate…

I don't think so, not when there is a war raging on around. AFAIK Switzerland has ONE Emil left in the museum and it has been restored, so it's not a representation of a typical wartime use.

Back to the 109K, they could fly several sorties a day only when there were enough fuel and pilots, which was very often not the case that late in the war. Sure, five or six (if we count part of the April) months is a lot for an aircraft during total war, but remember that on average, it would be less as most aircraft were not manufactured in October and most aircraft did not survive till April.

Though it's kinda moot point given that DCS does not even try to depict a well defined point in time and the use of K4 over Normandy is anachronistic.

Whatever, but you're just trying to support or justify your claims in aesthetics of a cockpit with not so facts (c'mon mate, I'm a modeller, I know one thing or two on weathering) which is legit but on the same plane I don't think that cockpit screenshots are specially battered BTW (Spanish modelling school, sorry), so who is right without a pic or source which would be anyway a single example of a single aircraft?

Anyhow, don't worry, no matter if the new cockpit is gorgeously modelled and textured or not, somebody will dislike it and make a clean cockpit mod right away (maybe also a more weathered one) so you won't have to wait long for sure and everybody will be happy.

S!

Well, you didn't back your claims with any facts either ("hangar queens, believe me!"), so it's true that we won't be able to decide who is right this way. The problem is, I'm not the one who complains that the new cockpit is weathered too much, so you missed your point entirely. I may not like the weathering on the low resolution side panel, but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that, as a modeller with a keen eye, you've mistaken the first screenshot for a render.

Edited by some1

Well, you didn't back your claims with any facts either ("hangar queens, believe me!"), so it's true that we won't be able to decide who is right this way. The problem is, I'm not the one who complains that the new cockpit is weathered too much, so you missed your point entirely. I may not like the weathering on the low resolution side panel, but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised that, as a modeller with a keen eye, you've mistaken the first screenshot for a render.

:lol: Fine for the pic, I just saw the blue sky and rendering tool came up to my mind. So bad lighting it has compared to new engine I thought it was a render… :doh:

I may have missed the point, but weren't you complaining just a few posts ago about a "too much unrealistically weathered" cockpit and that's why you sought for cockpit pictures?

Still new textures looks better :thumbup: . But now it's only a few days until we can check by ourselves.

S!