** F-14 Development Update: December 2018 **

Cobra847

• Replies 586
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess that was the update then, kinda was looking for a new thread though rainbowdashwink.png

But it's always good to have some heads up...

cl-ts-clap.png cl-rd-clap.png fluttershy_clap.png

Opening the Tomcat up to more content creators and drawing in a few more testers has yielded some great feedback and swelled our internal issue tracker.

I didn't get an invitation... something must have gone wrong rdlaugh.png

All in all, looks like we aren't that far away anymore. My guess would be Feb 13 - Mar 20 for the time frame... dealwithit.png

Wouldn't hesitate to sign a NDA though to have some fun testing it a month in advance... fsgrin.png

I dont think you are, the hypetrain is at overspeed, the rails are melting! wink.gif

Which rails? This thing literally lifted off months ago already salute.png

Does this mean that RC1 would be public or how is that gonna work?

Nope, but I expect this to be like T - two weekstwilightsmile.png

We'll however begin to see a lot more footage from the CCs once they've gotten that one princess_celestia.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

• LANTIRN completion. Our LANTIRN integration will be very complete on day one of early access, instead of having large gaps in functionality. This system has been very complex and has taken us a lot of time to implement, but will make the F-14 a much more potent strike platform on day one.

• JESTER improvements across the board - we’ve been adding new functionality to jester, such as injury and incapacitation states, improving various callout functionality and more. If we are able, we hope to add some initial JESTER functionality for controlling LANTIRN before EA, but this may not be possible.

• Manuals, training missions, etc. It’s still unclear of how much content we will launch with; but we’re trying to squeeze in as much as possible on day 1.

These really could have waited to get us the F-14 sooner. Not trying to be an a**hole, just saying :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

These really could have waited to get us the F-14 sooner. Not trying to be an a**hole, just saying :)

My guess is different team members (with different roles as well, artists, coders, etc.) are working on the nonessentials (training missions) while they finish the RIO cockpit and whatever else they have to do before they release the f-14. So it's not like its being delayed, but because its not ready yet, they can implement other items they didn't think would be originally in the first release.

My guess is different team members (with different roles as well, artists, coders, etc.) are working on the nonessentials (training missions) while they finish the RIO cockpit and whatever else they have to do before they release the f-14. So it's not like its being delayed, but because its not ready yet, they can implement other items they didn't think would be originally in the first release.

Exactly.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

GO HEATBLUR GO

Thank you for all efforts :thumbup:

i cannot wait anymore but having full F-14 on release day is better than "WIP" just like F-18C :lol:

cheers

ISAAC

icon modules dcs small.png

My Liveries : Download Here       IIF Project : Click here       My Discord : Isaac#5625       Iranian DCS Community Discord Channel : Click Here
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
My Gear :

CPU: i5 7500 @ 3.8GHz | Mainboard: ASUS STRIX H270F Gaming | Ram: 32gig 2400 | GPU: ASUS DUAL GTX 1060 6G OC | Monitor: ASUS VG278HE 27" 144Hrz | Headtracker: Open Track + DIY Clips | HOTAS : T.16000M | Mouse & Keyboard: ROG IMPACT II & Cooler Master Devastator 3

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

WISH LIST Maps : Iraq and West of IRAN  | Vietnam 

Thank you for all efforts :thumbup:

i cannot wait anymore but having full F-14 on release day is better than "WIP" just like F-18C :lol:

cheers

ISAAC

Don‘t get why that is better. I mean it was not like Ed was asking themselves kn May: Do we release it complete or are we withholding a lot of the features.

It takes time. And if you don’t enjoy the Hornet you can put it aside, let the others enjoy it in the meanwhile, pick it up in 2020 again when it’s complete.

While I agree it’s nice to have it almost complete on day 1, I don’t get why we are still bashing on EA modules which are not complete.

I found the Hornet in a pretty nice state when it got out. What I didn’t like that much was the harrier, but instead of telling razbam to stop releasing half baked modules, I just don’t buy them anymore ok day 1, but let people enjoy them in that state if they do.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Don‘t get why that is better. I mean it was not like Ed was asking themselves kn May: Do we release it complete or are we withholding a lot of the features.

It takes time. And if you don’t enjoy the Hornet you can put it aside, let the others enjoy it in the meanwhile, pick it up in 2020 again when it’s complete.

While I agree it’s nice to have it almost complete on day 1, I don’t get why we are still bashing on EA modules which are not complete.

I found the Hornet in a pretty nice state when it got out. What I didn’t like that much was the harrier, but instead of telling razbam to stop releasing half baked modules, I just don’t buy them anymore ok day 1, but let people enjoy them in that state if they do.

I'm with you

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

I think the key thing here is the texteruing of the the RIO pit which is done by the 3D artist (I believe Cobra himself) In parallel it makes sense that coders continue to work on the systems you quoted.

Manuals, training missions, etc. It’s still unclear of how much content we will launch with; but we’re trying to squeeze in as much as possible on day 1.

Training missions apart , what is already done for single missions and campaigns?

In the Ralfidude stream I've seen many instant action missions for Caucasus , Nevada and PG , what's more beside them?

As for me I'm preparing to create a Dissimilar Aircraft Combat Training campaign based on the BFM , ACM and BVR training missions of my F18 Red Flag campaign( https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=226671 ) .

Since they are done it will be an "almost Day 1" release :thumbup:

THx for the update, plzz take your time to get things right, you are making one of flight sims most original and ground breaking products. thx again and look forward to the EA release!!

lol, that sounds like "take your time but hurry" :D:D:joystick:

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

I don't agree completely. While you have a point, and I understand it, from another perspective, you can see that the devs are more active before and during the module is in active sale and shortly after. Once the majority of people paid for it and they already took the money, it goes with less priority and we start waiting for fixes for ages. So if we, as customers, require the modules to be fully finished before we purchase, that will make them push more to fix the module and complete it so they can get the rewarding for the job.

See what happened with M2K from Razbam, there are still features missing which are in the training missions(I wont list them, check m2k forums), majority of people bough it during beta, yes enjoyed it earlier, but now how we may end up in never fully finished module even tho it is out of beta.

So my point is, if we don't get the module fully completed and bug free until the majority of people pay for it, we might never see it and the bug frustration starts and may lasts forever.

Just my 2 cents.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Any developer who values their reputation and long term surivial won't do that though. On one hand you have VEAO who couldn't deliver a single relatively simple module, ED on the other who released the Hornet last year and have added content to it consistantly ever since.

You do have a point though. Early access is a relatively new concept in the gaming world, and at this stage relies a lot on trust. Expect legislation to tighten up on this kind of thing in the years to come - it's already begun in Germany (they've banned early access with undefined completion dates).

I don't agree completely. While you have a point, and I understand it, from another perspective, you can see that the devs are more active before and during the module is in active sale and shortly after. Once the majority of people paid for it and they already took the money, it goes with less priority and we start waiting for fixes for ages. So if we, as customers, require the modules to be fully finished before we purchase, that will make them push more to fix the module and complete it so they can get the rewarding for the job.

See what happened with M2K from Razbam, there are still features missing which are in the training missions(I wont list them, check m2k forums), majority of people bough it during beta, yes enjoyed it earlier, but now how we may end up in never fully finished module even tho it is out of beta.

So my point is, if we don't get the module fully completed and bug free until the majority of people pay for it, we might never see it and the bug frustration starts and may lasts forever.

Just my 2 cents.

It's everyone decision if they want to get an module during it's Early Access. Taking to extreme your example, we would still be waiting for M2K release as some of the features are not completed yet.... Instead, thanks to EA we could enjoy the module for quite a long time already. Another perspective is that EA allows the devs to collect a valuable feedback. I guess no-one at HB nor most of of us want to wait another 2 years till the release.

Anyway, regardless of the EA concept discussed so many times already on the forum and for which everyone can take its own decision if to participate or not and wait for a release version of a module, I don't really see a point and honestly speaking I see it unfair to bringing issues from some other devs to another devs forum - in this case Heatblurs.

F/A-18, F-16, F-14, M-2000C, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37 Viggen, F-5E-3, F-86F, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, L-39 Albatros, C-101 Aviojet, P-51D, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Bf 109 4-K, UH-1H, Mi-8, Ka-50, NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf... and not enough time to fully enjoy it all

Just my 2 cents.

Personally I don't think what we see is devs not bothering to develop a module any further when it enters EA. I think what we see is that pre-EA devs can focus their development efforts so they can make a lot of progress in a short amount of time. Once a module hits EA resources are split between development and bug squashing, so it takes them longer to make the same amount of progress. I expect that's part of the reason Cobra wants to get as much completed as he can before the due date.

Any developer who values their reputation and long term surivial won't do that though. On one hand you have VEAO who couldn't deliver a single relatively simple module, ED on the other who released the Hornet last year and have added content to it consistantly ever since.

You do have a point though. Early access is a relatively new concept in the gaming world, and at this stage relies a lot on trust. Expect legislation to tighten up on this kind of thing in the years to come - it's already begun in Germany (they've banned early access with undefined completion dates).

It's everyone decision if they want to get an module during it's Early Access. Taking to extreme your example, we would still be waiting for M2K release as some of the features are not completed yet.... Instead, thanks to EA we could enjoy the module for quite a long time already. Another perspective is that EA allows the devs to collect a valuable feedback. I guess no-one at HB nor most of of us want to wait another 2 years till the release.

Anyway, regardless of the EA concept discussed so many times already on the forum and for which everyone can take its own decision if to participate or not and wait for a release version of a module, I don't really see a point and honestly speaking I see it unfair to bringing issues from some other devs to another devs forum - in this case Heatblurs.

I think part of the problem here is that 'Early Access' doesn't really mean anything. We've seen the term 'beta' used interchangeably, and I think that's supposed to be the phase where the product is feature complete or close to it, requiring only testing, bug squashing and maybe a little polish before release - which I read as being what we will get with the Cat.

As someone mentioned, ED were really specific about what people would get at EA and what would come later. In fact, I would love ED to require devs to conform to their template.

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

Early access is a business model, plain and simple… remember through all the passion and excitement of DCS the underlining business is to sell things. Although I truly believe DCS is also in the business to satisfy their customer base. The business model shows that many of us are passion driven and will purchase early access modules anyway while not demanding perfection, allowing the developer a huge test base over whatever time needed to complete, while putting up with the occasional complaints. The terms of this however can be highly subjective to many customers… understanding the complexities involved at this scale of development, missing features bugs etc. is vital… It’s your choice whether to purchase or not, you must be disciplined in the decision, not the developers.

Edited by rjetster1

"It’s your choice weather to purchase or not, you must be disciplined in the decision, not the developers."

Yup.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Early access is a business model, plain and simple… remember through all the passion and excitement of DCS the underlining business is to sell things. Although I truly believe DCS is also in the business to satisfy their customer base. The business model shows that many of us are passion driven and will purchase early access modules anyway while not demanding perfection, allowing the developer a huge test base over whatever time needed to complete, while putting up with the occasional complaints. The terms of this however can be highly subjective to many customers… understanding the complexities involved at this scale of development, missing features bugs etc. is vital… It’s your choice whether to purchase or not, you must be disciplined in the decision, not the developers.

Ok cool. Ftr I’ve bought every combat plane that’s come out since I’ve been involved in DCS during pre-sale, as I personally view it as a kickstarter-type of thing. I haven’t complained at any point and I don’t intend to start. Also, just to be clear, I was saying Heatblur and ED have done this in an exemplary way.

Still, I’d like to clarify whether I have understood you correctly, but after that I’ll let it drop regardless...

Are you agreeing that the customer doesn’t necessarily know what they will initially receive when they consider whether to buy a module in EA?

EDIT: I should have asked: Are you agreeing that the customer doesn’t necessarily know what they will initially receive beyond the short description of EA on the E-shop when they consider whether to buy a module in EA?

Edited by Horns
Amended question

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)