F-14 Release Date Discussion Thread

zhujiammy

Hey guys -

we'll do an update on this shortly to explain where we stand and what we consider critical for EA.

Any idea what Nick meant by “shortly”?

Sorry, couldn’t resist :megalol:

Modules: [A-10C] [AJS 37] [AV8B N/A] [F-5E] [F-14] [F/A-18C] [FC3] [Ka-50] [M-2000C] [Mig-21 bis] [NTTR] [PG] [SC]

Intel i7-12700F, Nvidia GTX 3080, MSI MPG Z690 Carbon WiFi, 32GB DDR4 @ 1600 MHz, SteelSeries Apex Pro, Razer Basilisk 3

VKB Gunfighter 3 w/ F-14 grip, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle, Thrustmaster MFD Cougars x2, MFG Crosswind,

DSD Flight Series button controller, XK-24, Oculus Rift (HM-A)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a mess...a real PR disaster for Heatblur. While it is dissapointing that it looks like the Tomcat will not be released this year, that isn't the disaster part. Heatblur was very clear that they were hoping for a release before Christmas but promised Winter 2019...that is fine and we are actually not even in that release window yet. I am perfectly fine with a release extending into 2019. What is most troubling is the lack of progress since the October 7th reveal and pre-sale start....no videos, system previews, progress updates, and release to certain members of the community for preview and promotion. So, here we are more than two months since Heatblur started taking money and now we are being told that there are still "critical" items to be done before release to early access. That information should have been shared October 7th and to be honest, I would have held onto my money a little longer. That lack of full disclosure is what is most disturbing and problematic, especially now that money has been exchanged.

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

What a mess...a real PR disaster for Heatblur. While it is dissapointing that it looks like the Tomcat will not be released this year, that isn't the disaster part. Heatblur was very clearers that they were hoping for a release before Christmas but promised Winter 2019...that is fine and we flare actually not even in that release window yet. I am perfectly fine with a release extending into 2019. What is most troubling is the lack of progress since the October 7th reveal tand pre-sale start....no videos, system previews, progress updates, and release to certain members of the community for preview and promotion. So, here we are more than two months since Heatblur started taking money and now we are being told that there are still "critical" items to be done inke before release to early access. That information should have been shared October 7th and to be honest, I would have held onto my money a little longer. That lack of full disclosure is what is most disturbing and problematic, especially now that money has been exchangedf I.

Yeah, it’s exciting isn’t It? I like all this not knowing. Edgy stuff.

You will miss this one day. Embrace it!!!

:thumbup:

For goodness' sake.

I have to be pretty blunt and honest here. We have promised this winter. Please set your expectations accordingly. We're all grown-ups here and If you're uncomfortable with spending the $70 on pre-ordering without knowing exactly when we launch, then please don't. We'd rather you be happy and jump in when you feel that it's the right time. There will be ample warning for you to pre-order before the discount is removed. The 21st is community speculation run wild and is not, in any way, an official stance of ours.

It's somewhat disheartening to be mocked for some sort of sudden and grave PR disaster. If we've lied or cheated you in any way, please - feel free to ream us to hell and back.

Until then, trust in that we are focusing on building the perfect F-14 simulation that is excellent on day 1, in whichever winter month that day may be. As promised.

I'm going to quote myself again, ad nauseum for everyone here, I'm sure:

We're targeting December. We're guaranteeing Winter. Set your expectations accordingly.

Stay tuned for a lengthier update tonight that delves into detail.

Edited by Cobra847

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

What a mess...a real PR disaster for Heatblur.

Is it? I mean by what metrics are we qualifying this as a "disaster?"

While it is dissapointing that it looks like the Tomcat will not be released this year, that isn't the disaster part. Heatblur was very clear that they were hoping for a release before Christmas but promised Winter 2019...that is fine and we are actually not even in that release window yet

This part reads almost like exactly what you should have mentally said to yourself before posting the message :)

I am perfectly fine with a release extending into 2019.

Hypothetically, lets say you were not fine with it, what then?

What is most troubling is the lack of progress since the October 7th reveal and pre-sale start....no videos, system previews, progress updates, and release to certain members of the community for preview and promotion.

There was a demo from the virtual airshow on 12/9, a two hour long live mission with 4xF14s a few weeks ago that showed inside the pilots view, takeoff, landing, refueling, jester AI, A/G and A/A. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure one of the folks on the livestream was a "member of the community"but it's kinda like check, check and check. You just gotta pay attention to the relevant channels (like HB facebook).

There have also been what I'd describe more than we probably deserve and close-to-dangerous anecdotes from the HB team within this forum and on a few podcasts I've seen. Those tidbits are (likely) in this thread and have been dissected and theorycrafted to death.

So, here we are more than two months since Heatblur started taking money and now we are being told that there are still "critical" items to be done before release to early access. That information should have been shared October 7th and to be honest, I would have held onto my money a little longer.

Aside from you slightly misreading what was said, You're assuming that 1) those critical items are fully within HBs control and 2) these "items" existed on October 7th and 3) these will cause a launch **WINDOW** slip.

Look at it this way, by them NOT giving a date on October 7th they essentially did tell you that there were still items remaining to be done. In saying "Winter belongs to the cat" or whatever. Not December 21st, not before XMAS not day one of winter etc. When these items are resolved and/or release is imminent that is when you will likely get a date, and after spending a few minutes looking around here - I can't say I blame em.

That lack of full disclosure is what is most disturbing and problematic, especially now that money has been exchanged.

It's hard to feel bad for you as a consumer when by your own acknowledgment above you realize they haven't even hit the start of a season-long release window and are basically writing the post you would be more justifiable in writing the first day of spring. Maybe I'm misunderstanding you here, but how much more disclosure do you feel you are entitled? Personally, I think they were more than clear, even following up (which I'm sure Cobra regrets) to say that their internal target is XMAS but they are promising winter.

I don't mean to be overly critical or aggressive towards you Brian as you are probably one of the more milder and even in some parts actually reasonable comments on this thread, you just happened to be the last when I read through it :)

As a relative newcomer to the DCS community all I see is shit show after shit show between the chastising of real-life pilots who would dare not be 100% serious while playing DCS or give validation that anyone who owns the DCS F-18 module is qualified to operate the aircraft IRL. Causing another guy to shut down his YouTube channel for fear of undue career impact all the way to developers that are understandably terrified of their own customers.

Usually, on the internet, you can write that type of behavior off to social misfits, kids, the "mom's basement" folks etc. The thing is that this isn't the Call of Duty community, you can't be a complete moron stick around to learn some of these airplanes. That tells me that the vast majority of people are reasonably intelligent adults which is the most disheartening thing. I'm getting off track now so I'll shutup - anyway hope to be flying this thing with everyone here soon.

It‘s kind of hilarious how some people are trying to act like Heatblur have screwed everything up and missed another date etc. even though they are still right on target with what they promised (winter).

Albeit I do feel a bit of second-hand embarrassment for whatever it is the vocal minority is trying to accomplish. These guys just want to deliver the best possible product, give them a break.

Heatblur is development team that has earned and still deserves a good reputation. They have produced quality work thus far, and their work on the F-14 is stellar compared to anything we have so far. Am I a tester? No. Am I speaking in blind faith as some white knight? No.

What I am speaking to is keeping a realistic expectation, and mature approach to those expectations. What I will speak to is we have read about, seen footage and progress is no doubt happening. It's not in my nature to include myself in this style of discussion, but I felt compelled to share my opinion. It ain't easy to code folks, and we should never loose our respect for each other, and that includes the devs. They like anyone isn't immune to judgement, but credit where it's due would see that Heatblur has earned trust in their products.

The F-14 module will arrive in short order. Relative short to the amount of time we will spend flying it for sure. It isn't a right, but a product. One that happens to not be ready yet. When it is we will enjoy it, that's all there is to it. I implore, for those whom find it hard to be patient, to remember that sentiment. There are devs out there that have earned the ire of the gaming community. Heatblur is not among them.

"It's amazing, even at the Formula 1 level how many drivers still think the brakes are for slowing the car down."

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group 1 | Discord

You guys are right and I apologize if my comments seem a bit toxic and/or agressive. I believe a lot of my frustration is from seeing the same thing over and over....if it wasn't for the "2017. No exceptions" and "F-14 in 2018" comments from Heatblur, things might be going a little more smoothly. From a PR standpoint, it's all a lot of misinformation from the developer themselves. Again, I apologize but this is unfortunately how I feel about all of this.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

I think Cobra and Heatblur apologized enough for a comment made a year ago, yet people keep bringing it up. If you, personally made a mistake, then legitimately and honestly apologized for it and someone kept bringing it up over, and over, and over again a year later. What would you do?

Most if not all accepted that apology last year, I did as well because it was a heartfelt and sincere apology. We'll get our Tomcat in due course. I'm excited and hyped too, but that's no excuse to foam at the mouth in the forums when delays happen. Don't make these guys regret being a part of this community and dissuade them from making further products.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Matt "IceFire" Schuette

Commander In Chief United States Atlantic Command

Virtual Carrier Air Wing Eleven

Well Wags also said that the Hornet training missions would be released in November and they dropped in December. Granted it was only a week but still. Moral of the story is that I personally dont put much stock in "set" release dates, it will drop when it drops and no amount of speculation and/or complaining on my end is going to change that.

Maybe, but people who already spent their money, will not be walking away whether they're pissed or not and if you, as a company, can get people to spend money NOW for a FUTURE product, by setting ambiguous release dates, then you can be sure that's what they'll do regardless of the big bad $10 discount...

Right! I made a positive comment about the Hawk in a Facebook group a couple of years ago and got ran out, even the admins came down on me when I defended myself.

Completely agree! It’s damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Voice any opinion that’s either left or right of the centre opinion and you’ll be either called a toxic immature child or a fan boy whom can’t see passed his bias for the developer in question.

I just think everyone of all opinions in regards to the F-14 just needs to calm down. I don’t think any of this bickering is doing both us as a community and the developers any favours. Surely by this point everyone has learned to take a grain of salt with their release dates.

I want it released, HB want it released, so I don’t see how their can be a question to their motives. I take their silence for once to be truly golden. But until someone is killed or physically harmed because HB won’t release their Tomcat then I don’t see a problem that requires anymore attention than a civil conversation.

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

Be glad I'm not a dev.

I'd have a sticked and locked thread that contains a number and a title that says "Hours of Delay Added".

That number would go up by one for every post asking or complaining about the release date/schedule.

I suspect it would reach the 10's of days quite quickly.

Edited by Buzzles

I always try to look at things from a positive side. The Tomcat is a very iconic plane, and Heatblur has a reputation of delivering on all aspects. Being eager ends up in being impatient.

If anything, Heatblur, take this as something how much people are longing for what you are about to deliver. But by all means take your time. Enjoy the holidays and take time to rest also. It's not worth busting your nuts for those few who lack some basic discipline.

Spoiler

W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15

Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI RTX 3080ti Gaming X

Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog

MFG Crosswind pedals | Valve Index

I don't really think the devs care how many people whine about delays, they know, or should know, they'll still be buying the F-14 anyway, and still play it anyway, regardless of how long it's delayed...

all the whining and complaining does is let the people, who will still buy, and still play anyway, vent.

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Be glad I'm not a dev.

I'd have a sticked and locked thread that contains a number and a title that says "Hours of Delay Added".

That number would go up by one for every post asking or complaining about the release date/schedule.

I suspect it would reach the 10's of days quite quickly.

No, you wouldn't...cause then, all of the people sitting on the sidelines would get up and leave because now they would see that there's no point in waiting...You never use "delay" threats against consumers...that's how you make a quick exit out of business

If anything, I think we can all agree on that we should be pitchforked to death at dawn if we don't deliver this winter or the F-14 just flat out sucks. Give us a chance to make do on both of those promises.

Well your dealing with the DCS community now.

The most realistic sim with the least realistic users. :thumbup:

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer: