Mouse pointer and head movement in VR

VR FlightSim

I have used VR in DCS since 2016/17 ish. HTC Vive.

I know what you mean by mouse stuck at center and follows head. But for me the cursor is free and I use the mouse in VR to click buttons. The cursor does not move with the headmovement. There is an option for this in VR settings in DCS menu.

You do however have to doubleclick the mousewheel to get the cursor up and again to hide it.
Holding in the mousewheel lets you "scoot" forward and backward in the seat to aid in placement of head.(NOT zoom).

I have no issues with this at all. Am I missing a point here?

13 hours ago, Ducksen said:

I have used VR in DCS since 2016/17 ish. HTC Vive.

I know what you mean by mouse stuck at center and follows head. But for me the cursor is free and I use the mouse in VR to click buttons. The cursor does not move with the headmovement. There is an option for this in VR settings in DCS menu.

You do however have to doubleclick the mousewheel to get the cursor up and again to hide it.
Holding in the mousewheel lets you "scoot" forward and backward in the seat to aid in placement of head.(NOT zoom).

I have no issues with this at all. Am I missing a point here?

Then u r the only person with this option. Can you share a screenshot of that option?

I believe the issue is the way mouse is implemented in DCS VR, it's basically a 2D plane which defines mouse area and that 2d plane aparently moves with your head and the mouse cursor. And this plane is very limited in size and somehow related to the monitor resolution and aspect. It not only brings the problem of mouse moving with your head but also limits the mouse usable area and making it much smaller than the actual FOV of the headset(in some cases depends on the monitor). 

@Ducksen this option did not prevent mouse from moving with your head, just makes possible to move the mouse cursor away from the center of the 2D plane defining the mouse area, but the cursor still moves when you move your head e.g. if you want to click a button you can place the cursor over it but avoid moving your head otherwise the cursor will move away from that button. It's okis if you need to click a single button but try to type coordinates or frequency for example and it get's annoying as f*ck.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I would like to see a better "no mouse" option in VR.

It is currently possible to put the mouse pointer at a specific place and then move it around by turning your head. In this way it is possible assign mouse keys to the HOTAS and click different buttons without using the mouse.

However, since the mouse stays at a fixed position, it is hard to click buttons far down or to the side. For example, to enable the ejection seat in the F-14 you would to turn the head a full 180 degrees.

A better option would be to be able to enable a "no mouse in VR" option in the settings. This would work by not have the mouse cursor in a fixed position. If you look up, the mouse cursor would also move up on the screen. If you look right, the mouse cursor moves towards the right side of the screen.

In this way, it would not be necessary to completely center the button/switch in the field of view. For example, to enable the ejection seat in the F-14 it would only be necessary to turn your head to get the switch in the corner of the eye to be able to position the mouse pointer over it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 3:31 PM, dahlgren said:

It is currently possible to put the mouse pointer at a specific place and then move it around by turning your head. In this way it is possible assign mouse keys to the HOTAS and click different buttons without using the mouse.

However, since the mouse stays at a fixed position, it is hard to click buttons far down or to the side. For example, to enable the ejection seat in the F-14 you would to turn the head a full 180 degrees.

A better option would be to be able to enable a "no mouse in VR" option in the settings. This would work by not have the mouse cursor in a fixed position. If you look up, the mouse cursor would also move up on the screen. If you look right, the mouse cursor moves towards the right side of the screen.

In this way, it would not be necessary to completely center the button/switch in the field of view. For example, to enable the ejection seat in the F-14 it would only be necessary to turn your head to get the switch in the corner of the eye to be able to position the mouse pointer over it.

That is one solution, but not optimal.

I think they would need to create a new way of projecting the mouse cursor so it "sticks" to the cockpit, and can move around.

A "floating" plane, above the buttons and switches maybe?

A lot of work, especially to implement such thing into every module, but probably very needed in the future the more advanced this platform gets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

+1

This will never not bother me.

• Like 1

Rig: i9 10900K | 64GB G.Skill Trident RGB DDR4 3600MHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition | ROG STRIX Z-490-I | 2x 1TB Samsung 980 NVMe M.2 | VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & Base w/ 200mm Curved Extension | VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle | VKB Gladiator NXT Standard Left | VPC ACE Flight Pedals | VPC Control Panel 1 & 2 | 3x BlackHog B-Explorers | DOF Reality P3 | SimShaker JetPad FSE | Varjo Aero

Hangar: F-86F | F-5E | A-4E* | AJS-37 | F-14A/B | F/A-18C | AV-8B | F-15C | P-51D | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | Fw 190 A-8 | Fw 190 D-9 | Bf 109 K-4 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | AH-64D | SA342 Gazelle | UH-1H | UH-60L* | Mi-24P | Christian Eagle II

Am 29.3.2021 um 15:31 schrieb dahlgren:

This above and maybe a shortcut to enable/disable mousecontrol in VR. So you don't have to go into vr-settings to change from headmovement cursor to mouse movement cursor. I want to change this often ingame for strong reasons.

Edited by FOXXGER

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's unbelievable that people have been asking for this feature since 2018 and ED hasn't even acknowleged the issue. 

Personaly I stopped using the mouse, and just use the "look and click" method. This would also be much better if the cursor position could be customized. If I could place it slightly lower I wouldn't need to break my neck to hit the switches that are closer to the sides of the seat. 

Using VR controls can help in some cases (for cold start procedure for example), but again not a 100% solution.

In the end, none of the cockpit interaction options for VR works as it should. Newer and cheaper games have figured this out long ago.

Edited by Princess57
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...