[A-4E Mod]-Mod: RWR

IMPORTANT:

this modification will be part of the official A-4E-C 1.03 version.
so this mod will not be developed  further or maintained.

Even if its not 100% clear if or what kind of RWR the A4 has, I made a small mod for it, adding a 'RadarLock Warning' and 'RadarMissile Warning' sounds to it.

Since there are no switches in the Cockpit, the system works as soon as the DC-Bus has power.

The sounds are also from the Original A4-Mod(obst for the Lock and RadarAltWarning for the Launch)

to install replace 2 files(devices/device_init) in the '\A-4E-C\Cockpit\Scripts\' folder and place the rwr.lua in the 'Systems' subdirectory

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1erwDOnJ1wioxlKkh8gt0S9ZQoUxvlqis

Edited by Nero.ger

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

What?! wow! thanks, I'll give it a whirl. I was just flying the scooter moments ago, and having fun with the 4x AGM-45 load out. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Excellent mod! thank you Nero!

I'm using the weapons mod to allow a 4x AGM-45 loadout. Plus, I have a standard SEAD mission to go against a SA-6.

On my first try (via your mod), that tone sure helped a lot! After hearing the tracking tone, I put the nose of the A/C right on that bad boy. Fired off the Shrike and managed a 50% damage hit.

On my second mission, I had to use 3 Shrikes before killing the SA-6.

Regardless, your Mod is a Keeper and a great addition to the A-4E-C.

I've made it into a JSGME compatible format so that future A-4E-C updates don't clobber this.

In short, this is awesome and thank you! I'm ready to SEAD!!! (but with the obvious limitations of the AGM-45).

-Jav

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

3rd mission with a 4 Shrike loadout. Heard the tone fired the first, no joy... but it came close... Used the terrain to cover my tracks, and then circled back... Got another tone I was being tracked... Put the nose of the A/C on that bad boy and fired another Shrike... Bingo! Though I did not get a kill (per the log book), I did render the AAA combat ineffective...

awesome dude! thank you for the Mod, and thank you for the Dev's to allow the Mod's....

Now, I'll go back to my traps via the Bug.... :-)

This is a fantastic addition. I hope that the main Community A-4E team includes it as well as the flashing light. Just ran a little SEAD mission of my own with 2 shrikes, 4x Zuni Pods and a gunpod, and the aural warning really helps give that extra heads up that you really need.

Nice work and great mode for multiplayer

Is this function is from the real A-4’s ?

I mean , did the A-4 have RWR ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

depends on the Version, some have a display, some only a Tone.

We will see when/If the A4 team implements an Rwr

THX

If in the real A-4E have any kind of RWR this mode is great for me :megalol:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

THX

If in the real A-4E have any kind of RWR this mode is great for me :megalol:

From the other thread:

https://books.google.com/books?id=ubDgAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA267&lpg=PA267&dq=a-4e+radar+warning+receiver&source=bl&ots=zC3IASwt1f&sig=8Iby7H27qr6c2B8SAjwHemY2S3w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL0oLyxPLeAhUnrYMKHdeLDG0Q6AEwCXoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=a-4e%20radar%20warning%20receiver&f=false

"The A-4E had a little more room and was better able to accommodate the ALQ-51 as well as a rudimentary missile warning system. This gave an aural tone ('oodle, oodle, oodle') and a visual warning of a SAM launch in the form of a flashing red light marked 'SAM'.

So aside from the SAM light the mod is pretty accurate. Haven't tested it against gun radars yet though, which it should also be able to detect.

So aside from the SAM light the mod is pretty accurate. Haven't tested it against gun radars yet though, which it should also be able to detect.

cool! thanks for the reference note as well.

my mod goes by Lock and Launch events, no matter the source, i guess in RL it should only work on SA2s

Nope

This was just about adequate in the days when there was only one type of SAM, the SA-2 'Guideline'. The nature of the particular threat - including gun-laying radars and later SAMs as they came along -- could be determined with a practiced ear depending on the sounds, particularly the raw pulse-repetition frequency (PRF) warble in the earphones.

The book explicitly states that it could handle later SAMs and gun laying radars, just that aside from the PRF there wasn't much information provided. It didn't tell you explicitly what was being fired at you, from what direction and how dangerous that threat was to you, ala modern RWR displays. Your mod is accurate in terms of anyone aiming at you setting it off.

This is becoming the first open source DCS mod/module :P

Wonder what does the main team think about the idea of integrating well made and realistic developments by members of community into their updates.

Again, thanks to A-4 Community Mod Team for the lovely little bird!

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Even if its not 100% clear if or what kind of RWR the A4 has, I made a small mod for it, adding a 'RadarLock Warning' and 'RadarMissile Warning' sounds to it.

Since there are no switches in the Cockpit, the system works as soon as the DC-Bus has power.

The sounds are also from the Original A4-Mod(obst for the Lock and RadarAltWarning for the Launch)

to install replace 2 files(devices/device_init) in the '\A-4E-C\Cockpit\Scripts\' folder and place the rwr.lua in the 'Systems' subdirectory

Download Link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1erwDOnJ1wioxlKkh8gt0S9ZQoUxvlqis

Initialy A4E had the simple "SAM" red light warning indicator and "oodle oodle" noise , However A4E from the community mod is late model A4E. Given the "humpback" retrofitted into its airframe to fit ECM and additional avionics like the factory produced A4F did in its Humpback.

when dediciated RWR displays came ( starting around 1968) it would have been the An/APR 25 RWR along with a display Scope like the A4F used in Vietnam

http://www.joebaugher.com/usattack/newa4_6.html

"During service, the aircraft was retrofitted with the humpbacked avionics compartment immediately behind the cockpit that had been introduced on the A-4F"

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ubDgAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=a4+skyhawk++an/apr+25+radar+warning&source=bl&ots=zC3IFWwtWf&sig=6lolBVi10Wtnk9loobXiHIPyXrY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj66oKloILfAhVPbKwKHTjQD0wQ6AEwAnoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=a4%20skyhawk%20%20an%2Fapr%2025%20radar%20warning&f=false

AN/APR25 radar scope, and symbol graphic

AD+APR-25(N).JPG

Video : albeit concering F4, the RWR used here is AN/APR 25 as you will see. Symbology for the RWR scope display is applicable

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

yea i save the videos, very interresting compared to our modern RwRs.

But its out since we are missing the EW-panel to switch the different options on and off. Not to mention the Display :) so "DedoooDedoooo" it is :)

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

yea i save the videos, very interresting compared to our modern RwRs.

But its out since we are missing the EW-panel to switch the different options on and off. Not to mention the Display :) so "DedoooDedoooo" it is :)

IT was simplified EW panel in the skyhawk. its a much smaller cramped cockpit after all than the F4.

Some A4F's did in fact have the AN/APR25 scopes fitted specifically due to the SAM threat encounterd in North Vietnam . and many A4E's ( like one represented here) humpback modification to fit the ECM, CM and additional avionics suites that the A4F's had . So it would have been a viable retrofit to the A4E's and maybe a few were applied to some A4E's.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=ubDgAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA97&lpg=PA97&dq=a4+skyhawk++an/apr+25+radar+warning&source=bl&ots=zC3IFWwtWf&sig=6lolBVi10Wtnk9loobXiHIPyXrY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj66oKloILfAhVPbKwKHTjQD0wQ6AEwAnoECAAQAQ#v=onepage&q=a4%20skyhawk%20%20an%2Fapr%2025%20radar%20warning&f=false

It also contains a pilot recount on how AN/APR25 display saved his life in his A4F.

A-4_Skyhawk_cockpit_0531-L.jpg

2295217.jpg?v=v40

eEWajrJ.png

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I think RWR was retrofitted on the A-4E at some point (I know the IAF had RWR on the A-4Hs).

I think it was mounted on the right side of the glare-shield, like the F-4Es.

I'll try and check with some old timers, but they will probably have hard time remembering small details like that from a plane variant they flew 40+ years ago.

I'm tryiyng some usefull calls and it's works..

rwr =     {}
for i = 1,maxcontacts do
   rwr[i] =
       {
           power_h        = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_POWER"),
           signal_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_SIGNAL"),
           elevation_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_ELEVATION"),
           azimuth_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_AZIMUTH"),
           unit_type_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_UNIT_TYPE"),
           gen_type_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_GENERAL_TYPE"),
           priority_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_PRIORITY"),
       }
end

So the question is only in the implementation of the sensor model...

su-24.gif

correct, for completion, there is also

time_h = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_TIME"),
source_h = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_SOURCE"),

I'm tryiyng some usefull calls and it's works..

rwr =     {}
for i = 1,maxcontacts do
   rwr[i] =
       {
           power_h        = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_POWER"),
           signal_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_SIGNAL"),
           elevation_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_ELEVATION"),
           azimuth_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_AZIMUTH"),
           unit_type_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_UNIT_TYPE"),
           gen_type_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_GENERAL_TYPE"),
           priority_h    = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_PRIORITY"),
       }
end

correct, for completion, there is also

time_h = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_TIME"),
source_h = get_param_handle("RWR_CONTACT_0" .. i .. "_SOURCE"),

My apologies in advance, but I'm clearly not as expert as you indeed are... in case I would be interested to test your modifications, should I add those lines in that 'rwr.lua' file? Or elsewhere?

Thanks a lot, with best regards.