[NO BUG] Weird Auto Pilot and Trim Behavior

aw33com

I have random Auto Pilot and Trim problems. The Auto Pilot will swing right to left in Level Flight Control, or it will dive down in Level Flight Control. When I disengage the Auto Pilot, it's almost impossible to trim and fly.

This happens differently depending on the mission. In some missions it happens at the end, and in some right away. I can't fly it anymore in multi player. I'm wondering if it's me over flying the plane and something breaks, or it's bugs. When I land and try to repair the plane, there are no repairs, but the plane position indicator is tilted to one side when standing straight on the runway, so I know something is off. Is it my joystick that gets broken after flying? I doubt it as it works for a while and then it goes back to swinging the airplane right and left.

I noticed this behavior first when in Auto Pilot (Level Flight Control mode and forcing the joystick without noticing I am in Auto Pilot mode). It feels as if my Joystick was in a different position than the plane.

Please help me. This is the only plane I love. It is so frustrating as I really became very good in this plane. The bugs are so heart breaking.

Joystick: Logitech Extreme 3D Pro

Edited by aw33com

AP will use wild trim swings in doing what it is trying to do. This becomes a problem when you disengage AP in the middle of a task and the trim is some extreme value. I have found no trouble when taking over from AP after everything is steady. But if I take control in the middle of something the trim is insane.

The AP has multiple modes. We need to know what you are doing. Are you just hitting the A key? If so you are in full route follow mode. The AP will try to put you on course at the correct altitude and on the path line. This often results in a wild ride unless you are already on it.

The available ACS operating modes include:

 Route-following and Landing;

 Combat steering;

 Attitude hold mode (retains current pitch and bank);

 Barometric altitude hold;

 Barometric altitude and bank angle hold;

 Emergency leveling mode;

 Radar altitude hold with automatic terrain avoidance;

 Momentary override (programming) mode.

LAlt + 3 is your friend. It will use the AP to trim the plane level.

It's worth looking at the manual.

I figured out what I'm doing wrong that causes it, but I have not figured out why there is a difference between Multiplayer/Campain/Multiplayer Airport.

This is what I was doing wrong: While in Attitude hold mode I would forget I'm in it, and I would move the joystick. Then I would disengage the Autopilot and the plane would not be possible to trim anymore, I would have to somehow move the in game joystick to align it with my real joystick. I know there are keys mapped for that and I can do it, but it's hard to get it right in the flight.

When I take off from Multiplayer Tibilis Airport (I know that airport has bugs) the Attitude hold mode does not work. When I put the airplane in Attitude hold mode, the airplane dives down crazy.

Now I know to MAKE sure I let go off my stick when I set the Autopilot and disengage the Autopilot before applying any pressure on the stick. But still after like 45 minutes of attacks my in game joystick is a bit off comparing to my real joystick. Not bad, but not perfect. I wish there was a way to go sync up the joysticks with a click of a key.

Edited by aw33com

This bug is really bad and more complex. It does not just happen when I make the mistake, but it happens on it's own. Even when the 2 joysticks are synced, the Auto Pilot will start swinging. I wish someone knew how to fix this. I will post a video of this soon.

It happens all the time now when the aircraft is loaded with weapons. The entire Auto Pilot does not work for me after a while, and I cant rely on it.

Here is what I think is happening. When the in game joystick gets out of sync with the real joystick, it is impossible to align them back again because of the trim. Even if you align the in game joystick straight, you get it wrong 99% of the time because you had some kind of a trim on the airplane.

In case both joysticks can get out of sync, this plane needs Trim Reset. No other way.

• 4 months later...

I find the AP strange as well.

i press transition to level flight and she nose dives.

i select attitude hold which engages altitude hold and she starts to roll.

Radar altitude works to a degree but will still put her nose down.

i find the AP "tricky" in the 25, i cant use it most of the time as i fly knapp and there isnt enough time to recover.

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic, 

I find the AP strange as well.

i press transition to level flight and she nose dives.

i select attitude hold which engages altitude hold and she starts to roll.

Radar altitude works to a degree but will still put her nose down.

i find the AP "tricky" in the 25, i cant use it most of the time as i fly knapp and there isnt enough time to recover.

That is all very strange. She's well behaved on my end without the behavior you describe. Could you by any chance post a short track? I'd like to see what's happening.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

• 1 year later...

I get exactly the same, i trimmed the AC to level flight all good. hit level flight and she noses down, get into a turn, hit level flight and she levels wings and nose dives.

same in a climb.

when i fly the single player missions or training maps its all fine. but on multiplayer it always dives.

Win10 64, GeForce GTX1080 Ti, Rift touch, i5- 2.90GHz(o/c), 16gb Corsair Vengance RAM, X-56

KA-50-3, AH-64D, A10c II, AV-8B, MI-8, Spitfire, Viggen, FC3, F-14, F-15c,FA-18,  S/Carrier, CA, Nevada, Normandy 44, Channel,  Persian gulf, Marianas, Syria, Sth Atlantic,