NOW AVAILABLE: Community A-4E-C Mod

It can be set to either. It’s as designed in the aircraft.

The trigger in the A-4 is labelled as the GUNS/ROCKET TRIGGER.

If you set it to ROCKETS then you’ll using the TRIGGER to fire. This is the normal procedure.

The alternative is the set it to GM UNARM and press the BOMB RELEASE button.

I’m not sure why there is the alternate procedure but my guess is the alternate procedure keeps the trigger available for guns.

Yes, from what I've read (can't remember which source, now) I believe it was Navy evaluation pilots that complained about the rockets being fired by using the trigger that the guns use. I think it might be that they have different aim points--different ballistics. Also, the pilots might want to fire guns at one spot on the ground and the rockets to another spot on the same run. No time to configure switches in the middle of a run. So that's not desirable. So a NATOPS manual 'change' describes the alternative...as described by heclak, above. That way the guns are on the trigger and the rockets on the bomb release button. Or you can still use the trigger for rockets (with the guns set to SAFE) by selecting ROCKETS and the Station.

Not sure if the AWE-1 Weapon Release System Panel needs setting

...or else you'll have a dry run. :) I have to do more testing/playing. I always had it set to STEP or RIPPLE. It confuses me, though.

GUN-ROCKET TRIGGER described in photo of NATOPS manual for A-4E/F.

2nd picture of NATOPS Rocket firing procedure and NOTE about alternate procedure. The A-4E-C in DCS seems to hold true to what NATOPS says!

1752581672_GUN-ROCKETTRIGGER.PNG.ec837f6edf94412d2d2e1a96daaba1bb.PNG

664411142_RocketsProcedure.PNG.62d3ffcfecd5c17ed43a409e3fc28a23.PNG

Also, the pilots might want to fire guns at one spot on the ground and the rockets to another spot on the same run. No time to configure switches in the middle of a run.

That would indeed make a LOT of sense. Thanks for the explanation guys! Always nice to understand why things were designed in a certain way!

So happy that Version 1.03 is out !! Carrier Ops !!

unfortunately I scanned the huge MP server list but it seems no server is featuring the much loved community A4 yet ??

Well where's the TOP GUN fan guys featuring a server with community A4 (+ F5) VERSUS the new F14B on Persian or Nevada Map ?? Would be so cool ..

I know the mod has to be installed on every Client joining that server , but seems to be no big deal ey ?

If I cant find one, I ll look into the dedicated server seems more into to start an own one ; )

Cheers

Edited by JABO2009

Intel I7 - 10700 K @ 3,80GHz / 64 GB DDR3 / RTX 3090 / Win 10 Home 64 bit / Logitech X56 HOTAS / HP Reverb G2  

Running DCS on latest OB version 

The issue with Skyhawks in multiplayer is that anyone who does not have the A-4E-C will be unable to join the server. Most servers would prefer not to place a barrier to entry for new pilots to join and fly with them.

Yes, from what I've read (can't remember which source, now) I believe it was Navy evaluation pilots that complained about the rockets being fired by using the trigger that the guns use. I think it might be that they have different aim points--different ballistics. Also, the pilots might want to fire guns at one spot on the ground and the rockets to another spot on the same run. No time to configure switches in the middle of a run. So that's not desirable. So a NATOPS manual 'change' describes the alternative...as described by heclak, above. That way the guns are on the trigger and the rockets on the bomb release button. Or you can still use the trigger for rockets (with the guns set to SAFE) by selecting ROCKETS and the Station.

Not sure if the AWE-1 Weapon Release System Panel needs setting

...or else you'll have a dry run. :) I have to do more testing/playing. I always had it set to STEP or RIPPLE. It confuses me, though.

GUN-ROCKET TRIGGER described in photo of NATOPS manual for A-4E/F.

2nd picture of NATOPS Rocket firing procedure and NOTE about alternate procedure. The A-4E-C in DCS seems to hold true to what NATOPS says!

I've tried to code the weapon systems to follow all the procedures and quirks based on the NATOPS and information that I have (except for one tiny quirk, I'll be very surprised if someone finds it). To my knowledge, the AWRS should always be used. The AWRS should be kept on all the time as turning it off will wipe the internal memory.

If you're confused by STEP vs RIPPLE as you've tried v1.2, you'll need to relearn v1.3 as v1.2 had the procedures incorrect. v1.3 is the correct operation of the AWRS and weapons (including CBU).

So happy that Version 1.03 is out !! Carrier Ops !!

unfortunately I scanned the huge MP server list but it seems no server is featuring the much loved community A4 yet ??

Well where's the TOP GUN fan guys featuring a server with community A4 (+ F5) VERSUS the new F14B on Persian or Nevada Map ?? Would be so cool ..

I know the mod has to be installed on every Client joining that server , but seems to be no big deal ey ?

If I cant find one, I ll look into the dedicated server seems more into to start an own one ; )

Cheers

It would be great if some people could start some MP servers.

The issue with Skyhawks in multiplayer is that anyone who does not have the A-4E-C will be unable to join the server. Most servers would prefer not to place a barrier to entry for new pilots to join and fly with them.

Honestly, I don't think to install a free mod is as big a barrier as having to buy a map.

Honestly, I don't think to install a free mod is as big a barrier as having to buy a map.

Most folks are plug and play players. So the map is part of the already set up infrastructure of just plug and play for them. For the Skyhawk they've got to go to be aware enough of the community to know it exists, go to a separate download, then place it properly, and then go to play on servers without an integrity check.

While that's really not as much effort as it sounds, and it doesn't even sound like a lot of effort, it's a process unfamiliar to folks who don't play lots of mods. I think we sometimes forget that modded playthroughs aren't actually the norm. While much more common on PC because of the history of modding, an entire generation of PC gamers comes from a console childhood and so the idea that you can alter your game to suit whatever you desire is foreign to them.

A couple of months ago I had a conversation with someone who could not possibly understand modding as anything other than cheating, it was bizzare to say the least.

With that said, and at the risk of starting to talk about things I don't really know about, there's also the IC problem, since you can't run a server with a Skyhawk, as far as I know, that opens you up to cheating of all kinds, and most server admins would rather not bother with that headache at all. It would be nice if ED set up a system wherein files could be added to the IC, so servers could run a 'server sanctioned' Skyhawk, that would take pressure off them from that front at least.

I sent a bug report on weapons load-outs but is anyone else having trouble using missiles and shrikes? In mission editor all i see are mk1's mk5,mk4, mk81,mk82 rockets and fuel pods. yet when i load a map and ask ground crew for rearm, i then see the Aim9's and 21's as well as other weapons, but they will not load to the pylons:huh:..Love this plane and guys are doing an awesome job with it so far:thumbup:

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼

I sent a bug report on weapons load-outs but is anyone else having trouble using missiles and shrikes? In mission editor all i see are mk1's mk5,mk4, mk81,mk82 rockets and fuel pods. yet when i load a map and ask ground crew for rearm, i then see the Aim9's and 21's as well as other weapons, but they will not load to the pylons:huh:..Love this plane and guys are doing an awesome job with it so far:thumbup:

To partially answer your question, you will not always see all the weapons in the mission editor loadout. It depends of the TASK you give to your aircraft (the property in the AIRPLANE GROUP).

By example, if you set the "SEAD" task, then you will get the SEAD missile AGM-45. I used those a lot recently. They are a blast to use and fun ...since they can be tease and hit few meters from the target. They are not instant kill, which is cool and realistic from what I read.

Hi! awesome work again guys!

The catapult launch is amazing and the wheel chokes are very usefull. Thanks for your effords, this aircraft it is better and better every release.

But I think something is broken now with the carrier landings.

At least for me the frontal wheel sinks into the deck as soon as it makes contact. I have reported the bug in the link indicated in the 1st page.

Edited by daemon1808

But I think something is broken now with the carrier landings.

At least for me the frontal wheel sinks into the deck as soon as it makes contact. I have reported the bug in the link indicated in the 1st page.

did you use "Airstart" or did you takeoff from a runway or carrier?

also, are you using DCS stable or OpenBeta?

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

To partially answer your question, you will not always see all the weapons in the mission editor loadout. It depends of the TASK you give to your aircraft (the property in the AIRPLANE GROUP).

By example, if you set the "SEAD" task, then you will get the SEAD missile AGM-45. I used those a lot recently. They are a blast to use and fun ...since they can be tease and hit few meters from the target. They are not instant kill, which is cool and realistic from what I read.

Ahhhhh that explains it.....Thanx for clearing that up Frag:thumbup:

⁼ЅϮгаίϱϦϮеϗ цр, ϜІу ГϊϱϦϮ⁼

I start the mission in the air , just some miles behind the carrier, and use the OpenBeta version on Steam

Yea. We've noticed there is a bug in ED's physics system for SFM aircraft where the nose gear physics would sink through the ground if you do an air start. If you do not do an air start then the physics engine works fine.

Yea. We've noticed there is a bug in ED's physics system for SFM aircraft where the nose gear physics would sink through the ground if you do an air start. If you do not do an air start then the physics engine works fine.

Thank you! You're the very best, guys!

Had a search through but couldn't find out how to activate the chocks. I'm using Stable version.

Any help would be great

I assume that you are using version 1.3. Just go into the communications menu and ask the ground crew (F8 button) to place the wheel chocks.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

@ heclak: Thank you for updating your guide! It is very clear, useful and has helped me a lot in learning to handle the A-4E. :thumbup:

Will the manual cover the area of the ECM panel as well? The AN/APR 25 Radar Homing System is pretty intuitive to use, but with the AN/APR 27 Radar Warning Receiver I still have some ambiguity. What does REC and RPT stand for? Should we always use RPT during gorund attack, like in Merker's video? When do we need REC and what's that good for? :huh:

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

I've got some problems with the A-4's lighting. I can see the reflections of the anti-collision light on the gun pod, but the lamp housing isn't lit. Same problem under the left wing and on the hump. The red and green lights in the wingtips are very pale. The probe light is never lit at all, no matter what I chose on the lighting panel.

Do you guys have this (small) problem too, or am I doing something wrong?

Screen_190316_232022.thumb.png.54a5372f30e1de33c3fdc3efc13bf05c.png

Screen_190316_232039.thumb.png.858311acb0af1ce39a25746340efaccb.png

Edited by norbot

First of all great work on the model. Its really great that you take the time to make such a great model. Then a small request. On your next update could you add some skins to USAF Aggressors side. You already have aggressor skin in you pack but they are only on USA side.

VFA-126

VFA-127

VC-8

Naval fighter weapon school

topgun mig-17

Those skins really should be on usaf agressor side instead.

And maybe with the release of the f-14 add a "jester" and "viper" skin to the naval fighter weapon school with matching helmets :P

Also if you have the time and idea could be to add a Top Aces and Draken private company skin

https://topaces.com/our-fleet/douglas-a-4-skyhawk/

http://www.drakenintl.com/catalog/aircraft-inventory/douglas-a-4-skyhawk-highly-capable-aircraft

Anyways again great work and keep doing what you are doing :)

@ heclak: Thank you for updating your guide! It is very clear, useful and has helped me a lot in learning to handle the A-4E. :thumbup:

Will the manual cover the area of the ECM panel as well? The AN/APR 25 Radar Homing System is pretty intuitive to use, but with the AN/APR 27 Radar Warning Receiver I still have some ambiguity. What does REC and RPT stand for? Should we always use RPT during gorund attack, like in Merker's video? When do we need REC and what's that good for? :huh:

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to write about the ECM panel. However, my information on the panel isn't complete in terms of operations. I'll see what I can dig up. But I'll write about what has been implemented.

I've got some problems with the A-4's lighting. I can see the reflections of the anti-collision light on the gun pod, but the lamp housing isn't lit. Same problem under the left wing and on the hump. The red and green lights in the wingtips are very pale. The probe light is never lit at all, no matter what I chose on the lighting panel.

Do you guys have this (small) problem too, or am I doing something wrong?

Yes. It appears to be a bug. Probably a mix up in the material settings when exporting as it wasn't an issue before. I'll forward this to Merker to update. Thanks for the report.

First of all great work on the model. Its really great that you take the time to make such a great model. Then a small request. On your next update could you add some skins to USAF Aggressors side. You already have aggressor skin in you pack but they are only on USA side.

VFA-126

VFA-127

VC-8

Naval fighter weapon school

topgun mig-17

Those skins really should be on usaf agressor side instead.

And maybe with the release of the f-14 add a "jester" and "viper" skin to the naval fighter weapon school with matching helmets :P

Also if you have the time and idea could be to add a Top Aces and Draken private company skin

https://topaces.com/our-fleet/douglas-a-4-skyhawk/

http://www.drakenintl.com/catalog/aircraft-inventory/douglas-a-4-skyhawk-highly-capable-aircraft

Anyways again great work and keep doing what you are doing :)

I'm not sure about the new liveries. @plusnine would be the best person to answer that question. But I recall some talks about limiting liveries to not bloat the install size.