NOW AVAILABLE: Community A-4E-C Mod

The A-4 Skyhawks never had launch bars. They used a launch cable called the "bridle". Each end of the cable was looped and connected to hooks inside the main wheel bays. The middle of bridle was hooked by the catapult shuttle. At the end of the launch stroke, the cable was discarded and attempted to be caught in a net off the edge of the deck. The F-4 Phantom II and F-8 Crusader also used the bridle system...and all prior Navy carrier aircraft going back at least to WWII. The A-6 and A-7 were the first to use the Launch bar, I believe. Even the big A-3 Skywarrior and A-5 Vigilante used the bridle system.

Interesting! Never heared about the bridle. Then we probably won't get a launch bar in version 1.03. Is that correct, Nero.ger?

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Interesting! Never heared about the bridle. Then we probably won't get a launch bar in version 1.03. Is that correct, Nero.ger?

that is indeed correct,

and befor you ask , its still not decided if a bridle is possible in a visual pleasing way :)

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

that is indeed correct,

and befor you ask , its still not decided if a bridle is possible in a visual pleasing way :)

Well, if that bridle is visible or not - I don't really care. It's much more important that the carrier start is improved.

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

and that is defently happening:thumbup:

Couldn't the launch bridle be displayed as a type of external store object or such that is simply automatically jettisoned at the end of the catapult thrust force?

I love this A-4E-C mod, though. :) Lots of great things...many external stores to choose from! I can see some nose and windscreen/canopy shaping that seems a little off. But, for the price, I can't complain...just like to make it the best it can be. :) It should be an official mod (I think).

Couldn't the launch bridle be displayed as a type of external store object or such that is simply automatically jettisoned at the end of the catapult thrust force?

I love this A-4E-C mod, though. :) Lots of great things...many external stores to choose from! I can see some nose and windscreen/canopy shaping that seems a little off. But, for the price, I can't complain...just like to make it the best it can be. :) It should be an official mod (I think).

Theoretically I suppose it could, however I think the better way of doing it (should we pursue to model it) would be to make it part of the aircraft model instead. Would be a bit of a challenge though getting it to look good though. For reference, the Huffer is similar in that it is on a visibility animation while being part of the aircraft model.

Former A-4E-C 3D Artist

Logo Credit to Plusnine

Theoretically I suppose it could, however I think the better way of doing it (should we pursue to model it) would be to make it part of the aircraft model instead. Would be a bit of a challenge though getting it to look good though. For reference, the Huffer is similar in that it is on a visibility animation while being part of the aircraft model.

Merker, I've been a fan and observer of A-4 Skyhawks for decades...just for my own fun. I'm just giddy excited about discovering this mod!! It's fantastic! It blew up twice at ramp start-up (I start in flight now until that's fixed), something to do with Master Arm switch changing state at startup, maybe? But I can't help but see some things that look just a little bit off. If I may point them out...I don't want to be too critical. I say again, it's a great mod. [it should be an official mod. It's far better than a certain BAE trainer that didn't pan out.]

Nose shape: It seems a bit too wide. The side profile seems right on, but from the top view it seems a bit too wide, or maybe "over inflated". A clue might be the black nose. When looking at it dead on from the front, it looks a bit square-ish and wider than tall. I think it should be circular. I'm trying to find photos of real A-4's to back up my claim.

Canopy/windshield bow: It looks a little too peaked at the top. I think the real ones on the A-4's are more rounded. Somewhere, I have photos I took of the forward view while sitting in the ejection seat of an A-4F at the Flying Leathernecks Museum at MCAS Miramar. I'll have to find them.

Barricade catchers on the wing leading edge: Look too thick.

Slats: They seem to stick out too far at the outer portions of the wing and seem to stand a bit too high above the wing, in general.

Intakes should be white inside and exhaust tail-pipe should be pretty dark black inside, from what I've seen of the real planes. You don't ever really get a view of the aft end of the engine up there unless you take a flash picture into the pipe or shine a bright flood light in there.

Main gear struts look too dirty. But I suppose their detail level will get improved eventually. I hope you all will continue to perfect this mod.

Main gear wheels would look better with visible bolts, I think. And they might be just a bit too wide in diameter. The tires are probably the correct diameter but the wheels look a bit too large. More rubber, less wheel. Or, it might be an optical illusion because looking at most real A-4's, they seem to have a visible rim or flange with the lug nuts visible inside the diameter of that rim.

It looks pretty darn good in flight, though. :)

720596203_A-4mainwheel2.PNG.b24e69fd5d3dbd91a0d9c7cf163b42d4.PNG

647406717_A-4canopy.PNG.db4a6844578b73bcc62e9a11f4cc184c.PNG

1223594400_A-4simmainwheel.PNG.1ad7f8cb3f8f2fa16ed5508c1ffec978.PNG

2128968517_A-4Simintake.thumb.PNG.43e139c751069737fcc6bd3229539b8a.PNG

698254619_A-4E-CSimpic.PNG.23a3af7df3a436681fa88bca59914b32.PNG

230221153_A-4simslats.PNG.07090b59ce2e2cb86213dbe84b027a7b.PNG

185781899_A-4simnose.PNG.88d274785e5cfd5f58b04d6043ce3c48.PNG

There is a temporary solution. Set the MOD to AI in the ME. Then press Alt+L to take control in the mission.

Isn't that usually RAlt+J ?

klem

56 RAF 'Firebirds'

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F mobo, i7 8086A @ 5.0 GHz with Corsair H115i watercooling, Gigabyte 2080Ti GAMING OC 11Gb GPU , 32Gb DDR4 RAM, 500Gb and 256Gb SSD SATA III 6Gb/s + 2TB , Pimax 8k Plus VR, TM Warthog Throttle, TM F18 Grip on Virpil WarBRD base, Windows 10 Home 64bit

The A-4 Skyhawks never had launch bars. They used a launch cable called the "bridle". Each end of the cable was looped and connected to hooks inside the main wheel bays. The middle of bridle was hooked by the catapult shuttle. At the end of the launch stroke, the cable was discarded and attempted to be caught in a net off the edge of the deck. The F-4 Phantom II and F-8 Crusader also used the bridle system...and all prior Navy carrier aircraft going back at least to WWII. The A-6 and A-7 were the first to use the Launch bar, I believe. Even the big A-3 Skywarrior and A-5 Vigilante used the bridle system.

Thanks for that Andrew!

6700K@4.6 48Gb - 1080Ti Hybrid - Warthog - RIFT

You can set your own pictures. In the Cockpit\Textures folder there's a PNG file called lookatthisphotograph.png. Just replace that with a different picture using the same name and you can set whatever you want.

Is there also an option to discard this ?......should we require our cockpit to be photo free ?

Chillblast Fusion Cirrus 2 FS Pc/Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake CPU/Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1070 G1 8GB/Seagate 2TB FireCuda SSHD/16GB DDR4 2133MHz Memory/Asus STRIX Z270F Gaming Motherboard/Corsair Hydro Series H80i GT Liquid Cooler/TM Warthog with MFG 10cm Extension/WINWING Orion Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition)/TrackiR5/Windows 11 Home

Replace the picture with a blank sheet or text? Never!!! ;)

Don't you know the legendary A-4 intro in "The sum of all fears"?

That place in the cockpit belongs to my girl's picture! :D

Edited by norbot

U can use my mod Replace the lady pic with a Sticky note with the right Magnetic Variation for the INS.

file-1.jpeg

DCS%202018-12-06%2017-42-52.jpg

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302788/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

assafm25...

Yes, this is what clued me in that the picture could be changed. And yours is a good idea.

However, are those magnetic variations the values actually in the DCS simulation? Because, when I look on skyvector.com, I see...

CA (Caucasus) is about 6 E

PG (Persian Gulf) is about 2 E, or maybe as you say, 1.6 E

NT (Nevada) area is generally about 12 E,

NO (Normandy) is about 1 W --WEST--not East and not 8 E.

Per map of historical Magnetic Declination (variation) on the US NOAA website, in 1944, Normandy would have been 10 W. In 2019 it is about 1 W. In 2020 it should be about 0 (or aligned with true North). Back in 1620 it would have been about 8 E. Around 1830 it was as far as 24 W!

https://maps.ngdc.noaa.gov/viewers/historical_declination/

But what matters in this sim is what DCS considers the Mag Var for each map to be.

Edited by Andrew8604
Replace broken formatting of quote

are those magnetic variations the values actually in the DCS simulation?

Yes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------