Open Beta vs Release Branch

goon3r

Hi All, looking for a little help with release versions. I would like to stay on the release branch. Following the instructions here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=114030

I ran this command and downgraded back to release branch:

DCS_updater.exe update @release

However, having done this I still get regular prompts for the beta. Is this expected ?

My assumption here was that this was a permanent switching of my install to release branch and I would only get release updates.

Can someone please clarify ?

I'm about to use inexact language but hopefully it's clear.

DCS can occur in multiple installations

Each installation has a flavor

Regardless of flavor, an installation can be forced to any available version

Everything is straightforward if you have a release installation and an open beta installation and you only update each installation according to their original flavor.

Things get more confusing if you start "flavor changing" your installations. I personally recommend starting with the main flavor and if you're feeling adventurous adding a second testing installation in addition. Then use simple the 'DCS_updater.exe update' commands on each installation. This will advance to the newest version of that flavor. In fact using only the "update" command will help you realize what flavor your installation is by the resulting version numbers.

To have a chance of figuring this out it helps to know the history of what you installed and did you ever flavor change.

Thanks for insight Frederf. Unfortunately, I've been using the same install for a few years and honestly can't remember the history of my installs. My DCS install folder has mushroomed to 150gb which is almost half of my ssd. I cant imagine having 2 installs!

I wish the instructions to do this worked as described in the thread i linked to. In theory, this should work fine. I will need to be mindful of updates I guess. I've had 2-3 cases recently where the a few bugs in the beta build broke the game for me. I was hoping for a quick opt out of beta.

You might try using Skatezilla's Gui utility . I use it for all things regarding DCS maintenance . It is free , and can be found in the mods>DCS mods section .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2