Arma 1.08 is out

Well that patch made my ArmA install even worse. What a PoS... the texture handling is pathetic. They even needed to include a command to reset VRAM memory cache or something. What other game needs such a bandaid?

And what gives with the motorbike (I think its a 650cc) slowing down when you go on a bit of grass?? Should be able to roost up hills.

I give ArmA 3/10 so far.

• ED Team

dodger, check this forum section on simhq:

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=100&page=1

Guys with 8800`s reported a fps boost in game with the new patch, maybe u have some driver issues ?

And multiplayer is big fun. This saturday there will be a HUGE event with ~ 90 players where OPFOR tries to seize a defenden village.

America's Army is still king of fps for me. Might be a "simple shooter", but in this catagory it's more realistic. Also, it's just a shooter for now. Vehicles and advanced weapons systems like the Jav are slowly being added.

Not to mention it's much prettier. :)

ArmA is in no means perfect and it can ask a lot from some if you're experiencing bugs. However it doesn't really sell itself as being a vehicle sim and it doesn't even pretend to be a flightsim. If you purchased it for any of those two reasons then you will be completely disappointed especially on the flgihtsim front.

In comparison to Americas Army I would say that AA has better missions for player v player than ArmA but that is where AA superiority ends. ArmA is miles ahead of the Quake type game play of AA where you see bunny hopping, defence honor whoring and RPK whoring. In ArmA if an RPK goes up against an M4 in a CQB situation then the M4 will win hands down.

IMO the whole style of ArmA is more realistic than AA from the bullet physics to the way you manipulate the player and that sense of a huge war going on cant really be experienced with any other FPS. That's not saying that AA is a crap FPS because it really has some cool and immersive game play features but ArmA is better in a lot of ways.

@ dodger42: when you get over your graphics problems then checkout a server called "KellysHeros" they have the best coops and Admins around. Nicely presented briefs and a strict rule on no N00b pilots, so you wont get a guy in a Little Bird flying you into a Shilka while trying for an Urban insertion.. well it does happen from time to time but they just kick the crap pilots. It may sound harsh but they say "Practice off line or when server is empty".

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

I wrote this whole argument out about realism, then i deleted it. Why? We've never fired the weapons so theres nothing to argue about. ( I'm assuming of cource, if you have been in the armed forces and fired these weapons i appologize. )

I've never driven a hummer, uparmored or otherwise. So i dont know anything about that either. lol

All i do know is the army is developing AA and they probably know a little something about the weapons. :) And they just feel and sound alot better to me atleast.

As far as quake style, i have to say i completly disagree. For one theres a time limit, no respawns. The sniper doesnt die because the repawned guy knows where he is 20 seconds later when he comes back to life. Second, You should be able to jump. Really. Being able to hurdle a guard rail or anything reasonable with gear on is a stupid thing to leave out. You can TRY to use jump in a gun fight in AA, but you will just get shot down. They have modeled it in such a way so its usefull, but will get you shot if you try jumping around.

The RPK thing i dunno about. I've never fired one, but I'm guessing it would depend on the people with the weapons. Who see's who first ect..

But i could be way off base and the US Army just craped out and didnt make thier game anything like the real thing.

On another note, the TrackIR was awesome, along with the large scale eviroment. I will be buying it when i get the money. Like i said before i played the demo alot, mabey it's just not doing it justice?

Well we could disscuss this all day but I guess this isnt the right forum for it ;) .

I will say this though; that I luv Americas Army and have played it for years, I remember when there wasn't even a Weapons Cahe SE LOL just vanilla WC heh. And I will say that for adversarial play AA beats ArmA because the Missions in AA are just plain better but coop missions in ArmA are the best FPS experience I have had and with missions lasting between 1 and 3 hours it would be impossible to play them with out respawns. But because you have to wait for pickup you move out as a second wave of reinforcements so its not the same as respawning in a 10 minute match.

Lastly remember that Americas Army isn't a simulator and doesn't aim to be one either. It's main goal is a recruiting tool and part of the hearts and minds advertising for the US Army .. and everything else, including simulating real combat, is way down on the priority list of things to model accurately. This is why a lot of gaming magazines and tv shows flat out refuse to review AA. However that doesn't mean AA isn't a great sim or FPS but it is the reason why IMO it will always feel a little arcady, because its not really trying to be a complete simulator.

If you do decide to get it then give it time because coming from AA I thought I had waisted my money on ArmA but after I got the controls to match AA which you can do and I found the right servers, seeing as I never play FPS offline, then it all came together.

Cozmo.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Minimum effort, maximum satisfaction.

CDDS Tutorial Version 3. | Main Screen Mods.

Ya i will probably be buying it. I know a bunch of you guys that are playing from Lock-On. I dunno if i will be into co-op though. I like PvP better.

When i was playing the demo, i liked capture the island. I think that would be really fun if it was organized.

oK... so more ArmA patch problems. As per Groove's advice I updated my drivers to the latest revision.

Same problem now. Sometimes ArmA freezes after the texture problem appears. So ctrl-alt-del kill process is required.

Then I go to the forum Groove mentioned link and I hear about people havnig problems with which patches they have used. Seems there are not only US and International Patches, but some specific versions floating around for other parts of Europe.

I love to support game developers but come on... so many different patch paths, so many bugs. If you have to run so many different product rev's, then include an auto-updater so the confusion can be avoided.

I'm uninstalling... and taking this one back for a refund.

Hey guys our DFA Squadron is really big into Armed Assault right now... but the coop side of it... Evolution is what we love. we have a dedicated server up but its passworded to protect it from evil noobs who make themselves admin and give themselves super weps... (happend already :( ) LOL we would love to have people who play Arma come on with us and play sometime,

http://www.dfa-squadron.co.uk

just PM me for the ventrilo Information. we are usually on a lot.

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

The 169th has a dedicated server too. We run Evo maps only at the moment. Ive had a go at editing it so there are more flyables of course ;-)

As well as a squad of playable OPFOR to keep the yankees honest. Lots of fun.

Its a mod. You have to gain rank to use better vehicles and weapons. Its pretty good, keeps the newbs from the helo, which is a must have after the first town is taken, cause everything else is too long of a walk.

it's a mission, not a mod.. other than that, Evolution is one hell of a map and just thinking about all the scripting behind its making gives me headache.

ArmA/OFP is well, almost unrivaled when it comes to how much you can customize it and mod it

The community newbie

http://winsbydefault.com/pics/dctf1ibxh7.gif

Replace this image! It's too big! © Administration

(max size: 150pix height, 50kb)

Xealot is right about it being a mission..... but its got some crazy 50 plus scripts in there to make the AI patrol towns. to make things respawn, to make the ranking system thats all scripting.... too bad the mission editor wasnt beter so you didnt have to do tons of scripting to even get them to do what you want them to do :P other than.... "walk here......" "Defend" LOL

4w24cLi.png?4

Voice of Jester AI

Death From Above =DFA= Squadron Discord - https://discord.gg/deathfromabove

http://www.twitch.tv/graywo1f

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lonewo1fg

Too late, i already bought the download. Got it all patched up, trying to learn everything. But it keeps blue screening and rebooting my machine. Will look into it tomorrow.

So whats up with the ranking system? Active of some servers, not active on others? The few i joined i couldnt fly anything.

Its a mod. You have to gain rank to use better vehicles and weapons. Its pretty good, keeps the newbs from the helo, which is a must have after the first town is taken, cause everything else is too long of a walk.

oh coiol ive payed it allot i like it alt haha btw im watsed

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]