Which plane for the beginner.

Examos

Hi,

I'm totally new to DCS and I want to ask you some question about what plane would be the best.

So,

1. I'd like to buy a plane that will last for a long time. After watching some videos I noticed that some planes have clickable cocpits and some haven't. So I'd like the plane with clickable cocpit. I know that A - 10C, AV-8B and F/A - 18C have them and I'm mostly interested in these plane. Which one would be the best for beginner? Which is has best value for money.

2.I can't afford spending 80 dollars now. Are there big sales for planes? About how much discount it will be. And can I expect sales for Christmas?

3. I was looking on offical DCS world website for missions for planes. For example A - 10C. I put in fliters A - 10C, single mission and DCS 2.5 and there are only 7. That's not too much for how much money I will spend for plane. Although when I don't put in any game version there are even 128 missions. So can I use mission which is for DCS: World 1.5 in DCS 2.5? If not can you tell me where I can find missions for DCS 2.5.

4. I don't know yet if I would be able to use payment methods on official DCS website. Can I purchase plane on Steam and then activate it in DCS 2.5? I ask beacsaue on DCS website there is inscription "STEAM Incompatible".

PS. I know that I should firstly try playing on free Su-25t.

Thanks for all help!

clickable cockpits are mostly one plane, one purchase.

I would recommend flaming cliffs 3....just learning the proper way to fly, land, navigate, etc is a learning curve. multiple planes, different flying styles, and each plane has a campaign at least. great thing to start with.

Ive put in 75-100 hours on FC3, and have nevada test range and persian gulf maps as well. Unfortunately, i still consider myself a beginner, and dog fighting in the red flag campaigns is a problem for me right now:smartass:

its a journey but baby steps advised. when you have the fully integrated cockpit, you gotta know what does what exactly. good joystick and throttle will make it so much better as well, but can cost money

walk before you run! good luck

After the free stuff your first clickable cockpit plane should be the F-5. I know you didn't mention that one but:

• It's fantastically modelled and has a clickable cockpit but is not too complicated.
  • You can pretend to be training up to be a real pilot (especially if you buy the NTTR map).
  • TOP GUN! You can pretend to fly the fabled Mig-28 - and there's the black skin for it too - and fight the F-14 when it comes out.
  • You can pretend to be a front line fighter pilot (because some airforces use them as frontline planes)
  • You can learn to drop bombs without fancy gadgets which is proper old school.

There's a lots more reasons but those are some good ones.

Edited by bell_rj

PC specs:

Hi,

I'm totally new to DCS and I want to ask you some question about what plane would be the best.

So,

1. I'd like to buy a plane that will last for a long time. After watching some videos I noticed that some planes have clickable cocpits and some haven't. So I'd like the plane with clickable cocpit. I know that A - 10C, AV-8B and F/A - 18C have them and I'm mostly interested in these plane. Which one would be the best for beginner? Which is has best value for money.

2.I can't afford spending 80 dollars now. Are there big sales for planes? About how much discount it will be. And can I expect sales for Christmas?

3. I was looking on offical DCS world website for missions for planes. For example A - 10C. I put in fliters A - 10C, single mission and DCS 2.5 and there are only 7. That's not too much for how much money I will spend for plane. Although when I don't put in any game version there are even 128 missions. So can I use mission which is for DCS: World 1.5 in DCS 2.5? If not can you tell me where I can find missions for DCS 2.5.

4. I don't know yet if I would be able to use payment methods on official DCS website. Can I purchase plane on Steam and then activate it in DCS 2.5? I ask beacsaue on DCS website there is inscription "STEAM Incompatible".

Thanks for all help!

Of the three aircraft you listed , i would reccomend the Hornet . It is very easy to start , takeoff , fly and land . Being FBW , it is also a very effective weapons-delivery and gunnery platform , as it is very stable . Finally , it is the only true multirole aircraft in DCS .

Should you as a new pilot consider a stick-and-rudder trainer , I highly recommend the L-39 . Simple and delightful to fly-and it doesn't cost $80 !

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

FC3 planes are fun. I like the most F-15C. Awesome air superiority, 8 AMRAAMs shoot at once toward 4 different targets is awesome. Also the speed if you like going really fast, a lot of fuel if you want to stay for long time in air (but still need to manage the throttle). Second awesome plane(s) is Su-27/33. Russian counterpart of Eagle, long range thermic missiled, even some AG and of course data link. You won't regret buying FC3 if you don't mind planes that you control over shortcuts instead clicking. Good starting full fidelity plane will be Mirage. Great fly-by-wire, great maneuverability and very nice navigation (autolanding with ILS is awesome).

If you want more sophisticated plane but still easy to fly, go for Vigge but it has completely different radar and you won't do much AA.

Though I don't recommend Hornet as in this points it is missing to much useful things like TWS, ILS, better IFF and it is only good for navigation (very pleasant flight model and autopilot but unfinished). Hornet win over every other plane for carrier ops so if you want to fly Navy style you can considered this plane but I'll rather wait for Tomcat for that.

The best bang for the buck as it is now is the A-10C. It's the oldest one, so it's slightly cheaper and there's highest chance it will go on sale before the end of the year. There's also plenty of content for it, campaigns and missions, which is not always the case with newer modules. Also full set of training missions and complete manuals.

FC3 pack is also an option if you're satisfied with the lack of clickable cockpits and simplified systems. Check out the free Su-25T that comes with the base game, other aircraft are similar.

Hornet is shaping up to be great fun and very versatile platform with plenty of things to do (A2A, A2G, carrier ops), but at the current pace the completion is still year(s) away and what we have now is very basic. Especially for 80$.

Harrier is also far away from completion, plenty of annoying bugs, limited docs and no training missions. Terrible choice for beginner.

Other aircraft are either very specific in their role (M-2000, Viggen), or rather basic with limited set of systems and sensors. The opposite of the three that you mentioned in the original post.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Since I am in the same boat and have not purchased anything yet....Freedom from what...??

not all modules on sale from DCS are on steam. they only have the full on versions, and it seems like some products dont ever make it over there.

DLC missions, Maps, etc all come out prior to steam.

Now if you buy something from steam thats a DCS module(plane), you can use the serial key and input it in the DCS program.

not all modules on sale from DCS are on steam. they only have the full on versions, and it seems like some products dont ever make it over there.

DLC missions, Maps, etc all come out prior to steam.

Now if you buy something from steam thats a DCS module(plane), you can use the serial key and input it in the DCS program.

Ahhh..ok...

Im not sure if its me or not but I have been agonizing over this silly decision for days...When I use the P51 on Steam it seems to load faster and has no jitters...The DCS (Open Beta) takes a tad bit longer to load and jitters a bit time to time....I think Im goig with the A10C as it has a tons of tutorials to help...and If I read it right the bonus bucks (DCS) can be used on another purchase (Hornet) down the road, unless there's a sale..BUT im a NAVY guy..!!!!!!:doh:

A10c is a great module. It was my first in DCS and I am really enjoying learning it. But I am a flight simmer from way back and like the details. If you are new to the sim game you may want to start with something with a shorter learning curve and then go to the AC10c and F18c. As a Navy guy, you will love the carrier landings with the F18.

I come from FSX:SE, Xplane 11.26 and P3D4..I love the PMDG 737, and 747 (Lady of the Skies) and the Xplane P51 (Skunkcraft)..but found DCS World..Probably never goin back...

Welcome to the DCS Community.

What I´d care about first is proper Hardware. So what type of Joystrick do you have? If you´ve just a Basic Joystick e.g., so no Top noch Module what make any sense, as you would´nt be able to fully operate it (without fiddeling around with hundrets of Key Combinations). The Saitek X-52 (Pro), X-55(56) would at least be required to fully enjoy the fun of flying a DCS Module. The Best Choice of course would be The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. Next Thing to care about is TrackIR. It´s highly recommended if you dont want to use your Trim Head or the Keyboard to look around.

1.) Proper HOTAS Flight Deck

2.) TrackIR (or VR)

Can you cover these both Options already?

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

For the distant future the hornet might be the best option of the three since it's the newest and it's being developed by ED as their flagship, and also it's strongly multirole. The L-39 Albatross could have the most value in the long term. Apparently tons of fun and easy to learn for a beginner, it seems to have a role in mainstream multiplayer too.

Pretty much all replies above have good points you should research. Giving a meaningful answer depends a lot on your personal parameters. What I found important is being able to figure out where the fun is in DCS for you (it's very different from the usual game and much slower to get into).

You will probably end up owning multiple modules. You need to take the first steps or you won't have a long term. Joining a good group can make a world of difference. Keep it simple and keep it fun.

About sales, there are often several throughout the year though ED has stated there will be none before the end of 2018. The Hornet was already in the excellent Persian Gulf bundle. I would expect something in January. In the meanwhile you can utilize the bonus system to make slight savings if you go shopping.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Welcome to the DCS Community.

What I´d care about first is proper Hardware. So what type of Joystrick do you have? If you´ve just a Basic Joystick e.g., so no Top noch Module what make any sense, as you would´nt be able to fully operate it (without fiddeling around with hundrets of Key Combinations). The Saitek X-52 (Pro), X-55(56) would at least be required to fully enjoy the fun of flying a DCS Module. The Best Choice of course would be The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. Next Thing to care about is TrackIR. It´s highly recommended if you dont want to use your Trim Head or the Keyboard to look around.

1.) Proper HOTAS Flight Deck

2.) TrackIR (or VR)

Can you cover these both Options already?

Thanks for the insight...I have the Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswing pedals...Also have CG Fighter Stick and Throttle..(in the closet) !!!...Im biting at the bit...:pilotfly:

Just throwing my 2 cents. You should buy the plane you are most passionate about. If you're a navy guy, go with the F18. Wait for a possible sale if you have to, and practice with the Su-25T in the meantime.

There are a few beginner friendly, fully clickable modules in DCS; namely the trainers, and the F5. It does sound like you're more interested in the newer aircraft though.

The F18 is by far the best bang for your money... EVENTUALLY. It will provide you with the most versatile gameplay over any other module at the moment. It's also incredibly easy to fly, even a newborn baby still covered in placenta can fly the F18. It's extremely forgiving and the systems are intuitive. The A10C, less so, and the Harrier is probably the worst option for any beginner.

In the end, my recommendation comes down to where your passion is at.

This question can be kind of complicated to answer. The short answer is that the F/A-18C does the most and is the most forgiving.

The long answer depends on you. Have you played flight sims before? Do you have interest in air to air, air to ground, or both? All three planes can perform ground attack, but the A-10 is somewhat sluggish. If you're not used to flying aircraft, it will be the hardest to fly (but not very hard) and maneuver for combat. The Harrier is in the middle, it has more power and this can make up for mistake while flying. The F-18 is very easy to fly.

There are sales, they can range from small discounts to fairly large. Older modules have more and bigger sales, so F-18 sale is less likely. A-10 sale is most likely.

1.5 missions may work in 2.5, but it is not something you can be sure about. Some modules come with missions and campaigns, but DCS also have a mission editor where you can make missions.

I don't use any of the module's mission content, nor do I buy any ED made missions or campaigns. I make all of my own content in the Mission Editor. This will take you time to learn, maybe a long time, but it provides infinite content.

Steam and ED versions are separate and can't mix. I only use the ED version, I don't know much about steam.

Very much yes. Also try making missions for it to learn the Mission Editor.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

As a beginner what are you looking for? Learning to fly? A2A? A2G?

To learn to fly I'd stick with the TF-51. Use P-51 manual and videos for reference. Costs you nothing.

A2G? Can't go wrong with the Su-25T. Also costs you nothing.

A2A? Get FC3. It's not clickable but assuming you're into modern air combat this would be the one.

If you're looking to spend money, I would go for one of the WWII birds. The flight models have their own quirks that force you to learn how to manage them correctly. The jets are much easier to fly. You can learn A2A (and A2G in some cases) and how to do it manually. Fully clickable cockpit allows you to explore procedures and nuances of the aircraft. All the modern planes are neutered in one way or another.

The definition of "best plane for a beginner" is difficult because it depends on the person. Because this is only a simulator and you can't get hurt or killed, I would choose whatever aircraft you like the most. If you really like an aircraft, you will enjoy the struggle of learning to master it. Whereas if you buy one that is "great for beginners" but have no interest in the aircraft, you may not be as interested in learning to fly it.

But some people will get frustrated and quit flying if the aircraft is too difficult. So if you pick an aircraft like the Ka-50 or A-10C that has tons of buttons and procedures to learn, you may give up before you even get past the startup procedure.

Buying Flaming Cliffs 3 on sale is a win-win. Lots of great aircraft with a consistent control setup for a nice price. But you lose out on what DCS brings to the table: an aircraft modeled so well that you can learn to fly it from the flight manual for the real aircraft.

So, if you have already tried the free aircraft and are looking to buy your first addon aircraft, what are you looking for? Ultra-realistic with complex procedures and/or a challenging flight model that could take a long time to master or something that has minimal controls and a forgiving flight model?

I don't really recommend trainers unless they happen to be a favorite aircraft because the real world aircraft they are modeled on were optimized to do one thing: provide a cost-effective platform to develop pilots' flying skills enough to move on to flying dedicated combat aircraft. Crashing a simulate aircraft has absolutely no real cost other than a little bit of frustration, so why not learn on something you actually want to fly.

Another factor is your hardware. Some aircraft have extensive controls and/or MFDs that are easier to use if you have better controls devices available than a keyboard and a joystick. If you are going to fly an F/A-18 or A-10C, the Thrustmaster MFDs are so much better than just using the mouse or a keyboard. The Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS set is overwhelmingly the most popular stick/throttle set used with DCS World per the poll in these forums because they are extremely useful for most aircraft beyond the A-10C they were designed to support.

Some aircraft are more demanding of the cpu/gpu than others. Third party aircraft in particular sometimes focus on the appearance and aren't optimized very well for the game engine. So they look great, but can really bring frame rates down when you fly them. So if you don't have a top end system, you might want to study the forums to make sure you choose an aircraft that will run well on your machine.

Likewise, many aircraft aren't quite in a finished state regardless of their official release status. You may prefer an aircraft that has fewer bugs over one that doesn't quite behave the way it should.

I own all of the modules and having read the above posted suggestions, I agree with two approaches:

1. Consider Flaming Cliffs 3 for the most cost effective way to get a nice selection of exceptionally fun aircraft to fly.

2. If you have cash to burn, get the F-5E, the Nellis terrain, and the F-5E campaigns for a really good showcase of what DCS World has to offer.

Otherwise, just find the aircraft that interests you the most and start the party.

If money is of any concern, I would wait until the Christmas sale. Then you can either save money or get more than one thing for the same money.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can I purchase plane on Steam and then activate it in DCS 2.5?

Yes, if it's an older module.

Older DLC's/modules bought via Steam (i.e. A-10C) with a Steam description that includes "Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Starforce ProActive" have a 'key' that can be registered to your DCS profile/account and activated in the 'standalone', as well as on Steam.

I ask because on DCS website there is inscription "STEAM Incompatible".

There was a change in Steam policy and DCS copy protection a while ago (May 2017) that mean newer modules (i.e. Hornet) bought on Steam can't be activated in the standalone version and E-shop keys can't be imported to Steam (hence "STEAM Incompatible").

DCS Steam and DCS standalone are usually on the same version number, so the multiplayer community isn't split but once you have bought a couple of the 'newer' modules, you are effectively 'locked' into buying from only one 'store' and using one version.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Thanks for the insight...I have the Thrustmaster Warthog, TrackIR 5, MFG Crosswing pedals...Also have CG Fighter Stick and Throttle..(in the closet) !!!...Im biting at the bit...:pilotfly:

Thats nice to read and I wish you all the most fun with it...but you´re not the one I asked as you´re not the OP, so why did you answered anyways?

By the way, I wonder why the OP hasn´t answered yet at all?

Edited by MemphisBelle

DCS-Tutorial-Collection       

BlackSharkDen - Helicopter only

Specs:: ASrock Z790 Pro RS; Intel i5-13600K @5,1Ghz; 64GB DDR5 RAM; RTX 3080 @10GB; Corsair RMX Serie 750; 2x SSD 850 EVO 1x860 EVO 500GB 1x nvme M.2 970 EVO 1TB; 1x nvme M.2 980 Pro 2TB+ 3 TB HDD

Hardware: Oculus Rift S; HOTAS Warthog; Saitek Rudder Pedals, K-51 Collective

Thats nice to read and I wish you all the most fun with it...but you´re not the one I asked as you´re not the OP, so why did you answered anyways?

By the way, I wonder why the OP hasn´t answered yet at all?

Probably because you responded without quoting..Directly beneath a post I had made...Sorry for your confusion....No harm done...

I think I bought Black Shark 2 before DCS/Steam went live even. Gave up after a bit of frustration due to the complexity of the avionics/weapon systems and survival challenges on missions etc.

Six years later came back and bought more modules on Steam. Installed the Steam version, the old DCS:BS2 key activated on Steam with no issues.

Decided I want to go eventually to the ED standalone version. Bought the Hornet+PG bundle for that and installed the standalone. Activated my old BS2, the keys I bought on steam etc. again very hassle free.

I did my research. Would not have been possible for all modules out there.

There was a change in Steam policy and DCS copy protection a while ago (May 2017) that mean newer modules (i.e. Hornet) bought on Steam can't be activated in the standalone version and E-shop keys can't be imported to Steam (hence "STEAM Incompatible").

To be more precies: no items bought in the ED store seem to be viable for Steam any more (hope/think it's only for items you'd purchase in present day and not ones you might have purchased in the store before).

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS