What do you do first when the tomcat is available?

Mking

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me - as with any new DCS module, I just like to do some touch-n-goes, usually at Nellis (or wherever the mission designer puts the standard "take off" or "landing" mission). That allows me to assign my axes and buttons, and also get a feel for the aircraft.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Probably just follow the standard conversion course progression when learning a new aircraft.

Learn the tech and systems/ground school and map my controls, then start with basic TO/LDG/handling and circuits, then navigation/A-A refuel etc, then boat qual, then BCM/ACM and weapons deployment.

All of that after I just load it up and sit in that amazing cockpit in VR and take it all in, then firewall the throttles and just blast around at Mach 2 buzzing every tower I can see..

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

Learn the start up procedure, and basic flight. I will start doing case 1 approaches at airfields and once I have that down, move on to the ship. From there, weapons training.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Learn the start up procedure, and basic flight. I will start doing case 1 approaches at airfields and once I have that down, move on to the ship. From there, weapons training.

+1

TBH While Im doing all of the above I probably won't be able to resist jumping into an instant action mission or three just to mess around with Jester and try some AA combat on the fly. Judging from Ralfi's video alone it looks fairly fun and simple compared to, well even the FC3 jets to be honest. :thumbup:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

Hot start, fly around, pattern work, and the infamous "Syrian TARPS Run", ie "Prove that the Tomcat's the fastest sea-level jet anyone had ever seen." - Chuck "Mumbles" Scott from Grumman F-14 Tomcat compiled by Dave Parsons, George Hall, Bob Lawson c 2006 MBI Publishing Company. Drool.

Drink copious amounts of champagne.

You guys deserve it! ;):thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Take on a MiG-29 in a gun fight, what else is there?! ;)

Just kidding, if the F-14A came around first, then yes, the above would be the first item on the menu. As we are getting the B......eh....probably a familiarization free flight at first?

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Fly inverted on top of a MiG-28 and buzz the tower... ;)

Shagrat

- Flying Sims since 1984 -:pilotfly:

Win 10 | i5 10600K@4.1GHz | 64GB | GeForce RTX 3090 - Asus VG34VQL1B  | TrackIR5 | Simshaker & Jetseat | VIRPIL CM 50 Stick & Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Plus/Apache64 Grip | MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals | WW Top Gun MIP | a hand made AHCP | 2x Elgato StreamDeck (Buttons galore)

as always with a new module :

carrefully check cockpit parts on ground,

i'll do an attempt to cold start only by logic without manuals.

i'll then check flaps and essential things like airbrake gear etc...

i'll then Take off from a standard caucasus RWY and will make a simple pattern test flight

try to land without damaging anything ( test before, in flight minimal speed at high altitude )

then i'll read carefully the manual (if available) if not, i'll read original NATOP manual and takes some notes for my own kneeboard.

done like that with the latest AV8 and F18. that was so much rewarding and fun. :pilotfly:

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

After the inevitable D/L and patching:

Queue up the Harold Faltermeyer intro to Top Gun on a loop...NOT the "Anthem"...it's important!

Read as little as possible from the docs with the Cat sitting at one end of the runway at Nellis...burning 1000 lbs. of JP-4 until things are mapped and confidence is high...

Then...hopefully the first of the airshow maneuvers; max climb back around into the Flat 8!

Control-R to reset the mission...lol.

After the inevitable D/L and patching:

Queue up the Harold Faltermeyer intro to Top Gun on a loop...NOT the "Anthem"...it's important!

Read as little as possible from the docs with the Cat sitting at one end of the runway at Nellis...burning 1000 lbs. of JP-4 until things are mapped and confidence is high...

Then...hopefully the first of the airshow maneuvers; max climb back around into the Flat 8!

Control-R to reset the mission...lol.

Same here man. I have the demo memorized and ready to try it in the kitty.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

Close but no cigar, for me its... somehow get the bird in the air and let this baby roll...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwBbrngafl0

:D

Techlabs Chameleon Watercooled Gaming PC - Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.7GHz : Samsung 950 Pro 256GB SSD, Samsung 500 gig SSD, Seagate 1TB 7200RPM Drive : MSI GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" 8192MB : 800W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply : 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C16 3200MHz : Occulus Rift S : TM Warthog : MFG Crosswind V2 : Win 10 64. PointCTRL.