Will server hosts be able to "ban" JESTER in MP?

QuiGon

Yeah, I don't really understand where that comes from. I had no balancing issues on my mind when I started this thread. :dunno:

I understand where you're coming from, but I'm going to be worried that there's going to be a lot of server admins who ban the Tomcat out of hand.

Well, kind of worried, because the ones who don't (and PvE) will get the Tomcat aviators.

Wow. It's a simple request. It's a logical request: Can we have the option for human only RIO's on multiplayer servers?

I don't understand the hostility toward this request. I'm looking at you, umkhunto. Calling it the single dumbest request is extremely rude.

He/she is just asking for the option to run or not to run "Jester" on their server and that's fair enough. Only problem i can see is if you have six F-14 slots and the pilot role is taken, then they will have to wait for a RIO to join them to use it. The ones with friends that are joining will wait and the others that are randoms will get bored and leave if no RIO's or flood chat with "please join me as a RIO" messages.

But that aside it's his/her server and if he/she wish's to have a "no jester" server function i don't see the problem.

After all if you don't like it don't join it.

The more control we give to server admins the better. Same applies to mission designers. If we can make it possible, yes, please.

the discussion could end right there.

Your server your rules,

your mission your rules,

Dont like a servers rules? Dont play on that server, simple

'controlling' the Ka50 feels like a discussion with the Autopilot and trim system about the flight direction.

Or you know... just switch into the RIO seat yourself and double the work load.

If I recall the feature list correctly, that is planned to not be possible in multiplayer - only in single player.

Multiplayer is planned to be only either Jester or client RIO, but no seat switching for the pilot client and no basic AI "Autopilot" while in the rear cockpit.

I don't get the reason for this exclusion, IMHO it should remain selectable (here: by server admin) for all game modes, equal to the Jester switching option discussed here.

Sorry for OT.

If I recall the feature list correctly, that is planned to not be possible in multiplayer - only in single player.

Multiplayer is planned to be only either Jester or client RIO, but no seat switching for the pilot client and no basic AI "Autopilot" while in the rear cockpit.

I don't get the reason for this exclusion, IMHO it should remain selectable (here: by server admin) for all game modes, equal to the Jester switching option discussed here.

Sorry for OT.

I'm only theorizing, but MP seat switching (not being possible) might be a DCS limitation rather than something HB chose to disable.

Not an issue in the gazelle.

The Gazelle effectively is one cockpit and you just switch views, you can control all the controls the co-pilot uses from the pilot seat if you want to. Not so easy in a front-backseat configuration is it? Hence the reason the L-39, C-101 and Hawk do not have it.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

The Gazelle effectively is one cockpit and you just switch views, you can control all the controls the co-pilot uses from the pilot seat if you want to. Not so easy in a front-backseat configuration is it? Hence the reason the L-39, C-101 and Hawk do not have it.

Agreed, and I'm sure there are multiple reasons for doing so, bit I think a dev could make all controls available like in the gazelle if they chose to do so. Not sold on it being a DCS engine limitation vs a conscious dev decision to not build their module that way to prevent crosstalk between the seat controls.

There shouldn't be a way to turn off Jester. One, you can't fight the plane period without a RIO so it would be needed. Two, they've already stated that a Human RIO will most certainly be more competent than Jester so it isn't an advantage at all to have Jester assisting the pilot.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

There shouldn't be a way to turn off Jester. One, you can't fight the plane period without a RIO so it would be needed. Two, they've already stated that a Human RIO will most certainly be more competent than Jester so it isn't an advantage at all to have Jester assisting the pilot.

As I said before: It's not about balancing. For me it is about creating human only events, where artifical assistants are not allowed, no matter if they are better or worse than human pilots/RIOs.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

If I remember correctly it was mentioned by Heatblur that the pilot can't jump in the back seat in multiplayer. If that's true and jester AI is banned you won't be able to even start the aircraft.

It seems some of you guys are still not understanding what the OP intended in the first place.

He wants to make a server, where you have to bring your own human RIO if you want to fly the Tomcat. Dont have a human RIO? Fly another plane.

If it fits in his general mission concept or not, is not ours to decide.

At least for me it seems to be a valid question, although I am really looking forward seeing Jester in action and I am sure I will rely on him very often.

If a human RIO is more competent than JESTER why do you have a problem with servers being able to block JESTER and force humans?

It seems some of you guys are still not understanding what the OP intended in the first place.

He wants to make a server, where you have to bring your own human RIO if you want to fly the Tomcat. Dont have a human RIO? Fly another plane.

If it fits in his general mission concept or not, is not ours to decide.

At least for me it seems to be a valid question, although I am really looking forward seeing Jester in action and I am sure I will rely on him very often.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. thumbup.gif

And I'm also looking forward to see JESTER in action and I'm sure he will be a great lad and will make the sim even more immersive, but there are some scenarios in multiplayer where I don't want AIs in the equation and prefer to have humans only.

If a human RIO is more competent than JESTER why do you have a problem with servers being able to block JESTER and force humans?

Because sometimes I want to fight with or against humans and their human skills only, without an AI between them. That's the point of multiplayer for me. When I want to play with AI, I play singleplayer.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I’ve been going back and forth about this in my head for the last couple of days and I think part of the big reaction to this is the word “ban” in the title. I think maybe suggesting it as a “server option to disable Jester AI” would be a been better. Anyway I think ultimately it’s probably a good idea to allow servers to dictate Jester use. I’d hope that most servers would allow it but then it would allow servers to police it if people feel Jester is OP. Also it would be cool to know that if you see an F-14 it’s two people flying it.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.