Stop cursor moving with head?

imacken

you all know if you go to the VR menu in settings and click "use mouse" it unlocks it from your headset tracking and u can move it freely with the actual mouse right ? or have i missed the point of this thread ? its been this way since dcs world implemented VR in 1.5.

however i personally find it more unnatural to have to look in the general direction of a switch then reach blindly for a mouse and then gain orientaion of the mouse to the screen and guide it to said switch when i can simply glance down "even in the m2000 to the far back panels" press a button on my throttle assigned to mouse click then look back up within a matter of seconds. if i was in a formation i couldnt use the mouse to control things or id hit my wingman lol

you all know if you go to the VR menu in settings and click "use mouse" it unlocks it from your headset tracking and u can move it freely with the actual mouse right ? or have i missed the point of this thread ? its been this way since dcs world implemented VR in 1.5.

however i personally find it more unnatural to have to look in the general direction of a switch then reach blindly for a mouse and then gain orientaion of the mouse to the screen and guide it to said switch when i can simply glance down "even in the m2000 to the far back panels" press a button on my throttle assigned to mouse click then look back up within a matter of seconds. if i was in a formation i couldnt use the mouse to control things or id hit my wingman lol

Latest DCS version here, doesn't work that way at my end. Yes, you missed the point we're trying to convey.

Mouse option not selected in Vr settings, your head moves the mouse cursor, and your hand on the physical mouse has no affect on the cursor. Bad, because I have to stare directly at what I want to adjust, no peripheral view adjustments.

Mouse option selected in Vr settings, yes, your hand can move the mouse cursor, great, but so does your head movement, still. Again, bad because of reason given above. It forces you to stare at what you want to adjust, or at minimum, don't move your head a millimeter because it will "pull" the cursor away from what you want to adjust. So, yes, in this mode there is "some peripheral" adjustment allowed, but only if you keep your head completely still, not real world at all.

We don't want the mouse moving at all with head tracking / movement. I'll decide where the mouse cursor goes with my hand controlling the physical mouse, not my eyes in any way, shape, or form. It's not natural in it's current offerings. With the option on, yes I can move the cursor to a switch with my hand, but my head is still "tied/coupled" to that mouse, and any slight movement of my head, and the cursor is off what I want to adjust.

Hence, why, "the mouse", needs to be uncoupled from "your eyes", at all times.

If they can make that an option for users that like, and, or dislike that feature, then great. But currently, "both options" move the mouse cursor with head movement, bad. So in reality, there needs to be 3 options I guess.

1. Eyes/head movement moves the mouse cursor, no mouse hand control at all, other than manipulation of switches/dials. Current option not selected.

2. Eyes/head movement, and hand, moves the mouse cursor together, or independently. Current option when selected.

3. Eyes/head movement have no control of the mouse ever, only your hand movements control the mouse. What we're looking for I believe (?, I don't speak for the others here), at least I am. This option is currently not available.

Edited by Muskoka

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Latest DCS version here, doesn't work that way at my end. Yes, you missed the point we're trying to convey.

Mouse option not selected in Vr settings, your head moves the mouse cursor, and your hand on the physical mouse has no affect on the cursor. Bad, because I have to stare directly at what I want to adjust, no peripheral view adjustments.

Mouse option selected in Vr settings, yes, your hand can move the mouse cursor, great, but so does your head movement, still. Again, bad because of reason given above. It forces you to stare at what you want to adjust, or at minimum, don't move your head a millimeter because it will "pull" the cursor away from what you want to adjust. So, yes, in this mode there is "some peripheral" adjustment allowed, but only if you keep your head completely still, not real world at all.

We don't want the mouse moving at all with head tracking / movement. I'll decide where the mouse cursor goes with my hand controlling the physical mouse, not my eyes in any way, shape, or form. It's not natural in it's current offerings. With the option on, yes I can move the cursor to a switch with my hand, but my head is still "tied/coupled" to that mouse, and any slight movement of my head, and the cursor is off what I want to adjust.

Hence, why, "the mouse", needs to be uncoupled from "your eyes", at all times.

If they can make that an option for users that like, and, or dislike that feature, then great. But currently, "both options" move the mouse cursor with head movement, bad. So in reality, there needs to be 3 options I guess.

1. Eyes/head movement move the mouse cursor, no mouse hand control at all, other than manipulation of switches/dials. Current option not selected.

2. Eyes/head movement, and hand, move the mouse cursor together, or independently. Current option when selected.

3. Eyes/head movement have no control of the mouse ever, only your hand movement controls the mouse. What we're looking for I believe (?, I don't speak for the others here), at least I am. Not currently available.

Sums it up perfectly!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

ok i got you now. u want the mouse in its own dimension. i honestly dont have issues on eiher, i have gyro tracking though not ir like most headsets

Yes, if it's even possible? Give everyone the option(s) that best suits their own needs, styles of game play.

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

I like the cursor moving with my head because I use a seperate/HOTAS key to press my mouse buttons in VR, but I also still use the mouse and mouse wheel for other things.

So I need the mouse enabled, and have to move the cursor to the centre of my screen when I start a mission.

In VR this is a great way to play, as I can use head tracking and HOTAS input for my left mouse buttons (much quicker and less fumbling than just using mouse) but still use the mouse wheel for other systems that really need it. I never found a better alternative than this and would NOT want to lose it.

Trust me in VR this is the best way to play, as there is no need to use the mouse and head tracking is much quicker!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I like the cursor moving with my head because I use a seperate/HOTAS key to press my mouse buttons in VR, but I also still use the mouse and mouse wheel for other things.

So I need the mouse enabled, and have to move the cursor to the centre of my screen when I start a mission.

In VR this is a great way to play, as I can use head tracking and HOTAS input for my left mouse buttons (much quicker and less fumbling than just using mouse) but still use the mouse wheel for other systems that really need it. I never found a better alternative than this and would NOT want to lose it.

Trust me in VR this is the best way to play, as there is no need to use the mouse and head tracking is much quicker!

In your opinion, it’s the best way to play in VR, but I couldn’t disagree more.

There is no ‘fumbling’ for the mouse, it’s there sitting next to the throttle in my case. Holding the mouse or the throttle is the same to me, and head tracking is not quicker at all. If this was logical, why do you think that this system is not implemented in 2D? Same principle applies. Fortunately, in 2D, your head moves independently of your hands (mouse) like in real life.

In real life, a pilot would make adjustments with his hand in peripheral vision. He would not be taking his eyes off the front action to turn his head and look down at instruments and hold it there while the adjustments were being made! That’s a fact.

Basically, we need the option to have this turned on or off to keep everyone happy!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

"Trust me"...

No thanks, that's why we're here looking for a better way, for us, which we have suggested. Better yet, as we've suggested, give multiple options. Doesn't that make more sense than, "my daddy is bigger than your daddy, so I'm right", just saying, and I'm sure you know what I mean. The reasons we've given why the current options are poor at best, are just as valid as anyone else's argument. There is a way to make all users happy. Make the change, give us multiple options, we're happy, your happy, everyone gets to play the way they want, and move on. :thumbup:

I have zero desire to manipulate the cockpit the way you do, and vice versa, so give users the options, simple. Nobody is asking for "your style" of play to be removed.

Edited by Muskoka

"Trust me"...

Doesn't that make more sense than, "my daddy is bigger than your daddy, so I'm right",

Yeah cause that’s what I said! I find it very efficent (HOTAS and mouse combined) and prefer it to using just the mouse on its own, that is all I said or meant to express, but would of course welcome any improvements.

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

In your opinion, it’s the best way to play in VR, but I couldn’t disagree more.

There is no ‘fumbling’ for the mouse, it’s there sitting next to the throttle in my case. Holding the mouse or the throttle is the same to me, and head tracking is not quicker at all. If this was logical, why do you think that this system is not implemented in 2D? Same principle applies. Fortunately, in 2D, your head moves independently of your hands (mouse) like in real life.

In real life, a pilot would make adjustments with his hand in peripheral vision. He would not be taking his eyes off the front action to turn his head and look down at instruments and hold it there while the adjustments were being made! That’s a fact.

Basically, we need the option to have this turned on or off to keep everyone happy!

Yeah but remember I too do use the mouse. I use the mouse combined with head tracking depending upon which is more efficient in any given situation. If I am in battle or a situation in which I need to act rapidly I use the head tracking/HOTAS button on my throttle for LMB, but when setting things up, or I have time, I will use the mouse if needed. For this to work correctly the mouse cursor needs to be moved to the centre of my screen, when making other preperations, so it is in the most effective position when I start clicking LMB with my HOTAS button.

Its not perfect but in my opinion it's the best way to play at the present time. And I certainly didn't mean it's my way or the highway although in your case I know you were not suggesting this. Before I used to find it terrible too, but then I realized you could set up the mouse, to be used with the HOTAS. Certainly isnt perfect, but the best method I have personally found for VR in DCS. I really do like it to be honest!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

Yeah but remember I too do use the mouse. I use the mouse combined with head tracking depending upon which is more efficient in any given situation. If I am in battle or a situation in which I need to act rapidly I use the head tracking/HOTAS button on my throttle for LMB, but when setting things up, or I have time, I will use the mouse if needed. For this to work correctly the mouse cursor needs to be moved to the centre of my screen, when making other preperations, so it is in the most effective position when I start clicking LMB with my HOTAS button.

Its not perfect but in my opinion it's the best way to play at the present time. And I certainly didn't mean it's my way or the highway although in your case I know you were not suggesting this. Before I used to find it terrible too, but then I realized you could set up the mouse, to be used with the HOTAS. Certainly isnt perfect, but the best method I have personally found for VR in DCS. I really do like it to be honest!

I respect the fact that you like it, however, it is just wrong in every sense in my opinion.

1) this is a simulator, and the way this is set up is not realistic nor simulates anything. Our hands can move/operate independently of our head!

2) the cursor doesn't work this way in 2D, so why should we have it in VR?

3) people here who like the cursor moving with head movement surely can achieve this by just unchecking the mouse option. Then, they can use their head and a HOTAS button for the click.

4) if real pilots had this restrictions, I think there would be a lot more fatalities in aviation!

Honestly, while adjusting an instrument, having a slightest head movement stop that, is simply crazy!

3) people here who like the cursor moving with head movement surely can achieve this by just unchecking the mouse option. Then, they can use their head and a HOTAS button for the click.

No unchecking mouse will mean you can no longer use the mouse which means you can't use any of the systems that require dial inputs etc. Other buttons just can't compensate for the mouse wheel which was a big problem! If the developers could fix this then it might work!

I know in terms of realism it might not be ideal but its personal preference. Personally I find it to be the best solution (though I also like using voice attack and role playing that my co pilot is following my orders) until we get VR gloves with haptic feedback.

------------

• 2 years later...