Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

...I am also still trying to learn how to properly set a CSEL line that will put me on the right heading far out before I can even see the deck and centerline. I always seem to end up way left. I find that the hornet for me tends to be more effected by ground effect than the F14 coming aboard. The DLC's really help a lot for that.

I think your problem is that when you fly the ICLS approach the boat is constantly moving to the right relative to the plane. So if you are flying towards the boat for the whole 8-10 miles out you end up perfectly in line w/ the boat but the deck is angled to the left. You are using the ICLS system right? Assuming you are, doing a straight in approach, I fly to the right until the VV is just to the right of the vertical ICLS localizer line. I keep it there by keeping it just to the right of the boat. At about 1-1.2 miles out (you are setting up tacan on the hud also right?) I move the VV over to the flight deck. Keep the VV centered on the deck and that last 1-1.2 miles of boat movement will land you nearly perfectly in line w/ the deck rather than in line w/ the boat's course. BTW, the ICLS vertical localizer line will show up as soon as you get the system fired up as long as you are < 10 miles out ( I am not sure what the max actually is but the included carrier missions all start you at 8-10 miles out). but you won't get the glide slope horizontal line til about 6 miles out.

Woohoo! I just beat my own personal record with a 65/75 score!

Thanks again for this mission Bankler :thumbup:

It's a great way to get prepared for the SC!

Screen_200409_215234.png.5b4195970887aae3051f228d2537fba7.png

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

wow, thanks Bankler! I've always avoided your everywhere mentioned Case I Recovery Trainer bc I didn't felt ready for it yet. And I could not believe a recovery training mission can be set up that accurate either. Today was the day!

have to say: best training mission ever!

never felt more fun and challenge in DCS training.

thanks man, outstanding job!

now I just have to get my numbers better and better.... ;)

This is really great! I’ve been “intimidated” (stupid I know... it’s a sim) and avoided even trying case 1 after multiple bad failures early on. This is really very helpful and easy to start over and repeat! Just downloaded this last night and slowly improving. I didn’t go through the 40+ pages of comments, but is there one of these missions for the F-14 too? Or is it difficult to change in the mission editor? Thanks again!

Any chance of adding a 'touch and go' option? Something similar to the 'pattern' option we have now, but where you can leave the hook up and go back around. Have the grading tallied up for everything but the wire catch. That way you can just work on smoothing out the pattern without having to get off the wire, hook up to the cat, and take off each time.

You can already do it.

The summary reports a bolter and you would need to reduce the max score to 70, but everything else gets scored.

It doesn't try to estimate the wire that you would have caught however, so if you want that, then a change would be needed.

Edited by Greyman

have to say: best training mission ever! never felt more fun and challenge in DCS training. thanks man, outstanding job!

Thanks a lot for the warm words. It means a lot to me!

...but is there one of these missions for the F-14 too? Or is it difficult to change in the mission editor? Thanks again!

As Zyll mentioned, there are F-14 slots in the mission. The script accounts for the Tomcats ideal AOA and such. Sometimes the wire estimation can get a little off, especially if you are heavy (lots of fuel) but for the most part it works okay.

Any chance of adding a 'touch and go' option?

Just like Greyman suggested, you can sort of use pattern mode to do this. It won't estimate the wire though (the current technique I'm using to estimate the wire requires a full stop). It will say 58/63 for a perfect pass (since the bolter will give you 0/5 points for that part).

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying this, thank you for making! how do you save the briefing / results? I pressed save briefing at the end, however that just generates an in game notepad file that does not show the player stats for each session....

thanks

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

Thanks, Bankler, for this mission, and its continued support! I launched DCS for the first time after a long hiatus, and I was dismayed when this mission didn't work anymore. But then I found out it was updated! It's almost all I'm doing at the moment, grinding landings in this mission. So enjoyable, and I really appreciate that it's so difficult to get a perfect score, that is egging me on to continually improve. My new personal best is 67/75, was quite happy with that landing!

2021334939_Oklanding3cropped.jpg.4015965dbe0f8b24c56f712917db3738.jpg

Thanks, Bankler, for this mission, and its continued support! I launched DCS for the first time after a long hiatus, and I was dismayed when this mission didn't work anymore. But then I found out it was updated! It's almost all I'm doing at the moment, grinding landings in this mission. So enjoyable, and I really appreciate that it's so difficult to get a perfect score, that is egging me on to continually improve. My new personal best is 67/75, was quite happy with that landing!

67?? I can get 67 too .... (if land twice) :smilewink:

well done!

Mine is a 63 so far....averaging mid forties to mid fifties, but I struggle with the turn from downwind and rolling out in the right position.......I can regularly fly a perfect break until the abeam turn, that is where it will usually go tits up.......

Any tips / hints for hitting that perfect groove entry anyone?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

You don't specifically say what you're finding tricky, but at a guess you're not holding your bank angle accurately. Aim for ~28 degrees and keep it there. This will help in 2 ways:

1. it'll make your turn radius more consistent
  2. it'll make controlling you altitude easier (because any change in bank effects your descent rate)

excellent video, thanks for the link !

BTW - when practising this, I am finding it difficult to keep my bank angle at 28 ...it wants to roll further slowly, is this expected and should I be constantly adjusting the stick to maintain the correct 30 degrees or so? Lex made it look like he just rolled it there and it stuck.....!

Edited by markturner1960

Mine is a 63 so far....averaging mid forties to mid fifties, but I struggle with the turn from downwind and rolling out in the right position.......I can regularly fly a perfect break until the abeam turn, that is where it will usually go tits up.......

Any tips / hints for hitting that perfect groove entry anyone?

Not that I can do this well yet but, in addition to a constant bank angle a couple other things I think enter into it. (BTW the FA-18 does go to a steeper bank angle on it's own. I am constantly giving small right shoves to the stick.) Getting a turn exit that has you positioned right starts w/ how far you are from the boat as you go abeam on the downwind. Should be 1.2 miles so if you are further or closer you will need to adjust your bank angle ( and hence your turn radius) to compensate. Also think of this. Say the boat's course is 360 and your downwind is 180. But the deck is angled at 9 deg. So the further you go on your downwind the wider the gap between you and that 9 deg line. Bankler doesn't like a too long downwind so, watch the tacan screen to see where you are compared to the boat. As the boat symbol moves down the left side of the HSI tacan circle abeam is 270 degrees. I try to be sure I start my turn before the next large demarcation, 240 degrees. This barely keeps Bankler happy but starting the turn at exactly the same place helps being consistent.

thx fellas, will keep on practicing!

BTW, I notice if I sometimes trap at the wrong angle, the jet will tip back on the wire...often, it then gives you a bolter, even though you didn't.....can this be tweaked at all?

I know, I know, hit the groove right all the way in and it wont happen..:thumbup:

Edited by markturner1960

The on-speed angle of attack is set so that its relationship of the hook to the main wheels is just right to catch a wire. Anything away from that AoA is likely to either cause a bolter, due to the hook bouncing over the wire, or worse, catching a wire when your main wheels are still in the air.

I'm not sure the latter has been modelled, possibly because my flying isn't accurate enough to do it, but I suspect it would just result in a bolter, as it currently stands in DCS.