Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

On 5/27/2021 at 2:51 AM, CBStu said:

Now I have a problem. Still on 2.56 but thought I'd download the latest version like I have been doing. It loads the mission to about 3/4 and then pops up a window about it being newer than the editor version, proceed at your own risk. Hit the OK button and it completely locks up DCS and I have to go to the Task Manager to shut down DCS. I wasn't sure this was a problem specific to this mission so posted in the general FA-18 section. The thinking there is I can't run a mission created in 2.7 using 2.56. One poster said try opening it in the Mission Editor in 2.56 and then saving it. Same thing exactly. Same popup and need Task Manager.  Unfortunately, I deleted my previous version before finding this problem. If the above seems like a good explanation to you, could you provide the older version that will work in 2.56 please? I am not sure how long it will be before 2.7 becomes the stable version. I'd prefer the supercarrier version but I always do an air start so that isn't real important to me. Thank you.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear you're having problem. Unfortunately I don't have the stable DCS version installed, so I can't try it out.

I'm attaching the previous version here, so you can try that one.

Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer_v06-10_LegacyCarrier.miz Bankler's Case 1 Recovery Trainer_v06-10_Supercarrier.miz

• Like 1

On 5/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, Razor18 said:

Hay Bankler,

great tool, great update !

Is there any documentation about the options in the menus, what does what? Sorry, if missed it...

Thanks

No docs really. But from the top of my head.

Disable in-flight feedback:

You will no longer see the score as you're flying, but instead only see the summary. This is useful if you don't want the help of receiving the abeam message telling you exactly when to turn final, for instance.

Enable public feedback:

This makes the continuous feedback normally only displayed to you be shown for everyone. Useful if you're coaching someone and want to see their scores as they're flying. Will become super spammy if you're several people in the pattern.

Disable LSO:

Disables the LSO voice.

Enable pattern mode:

Goes into "pattern mode" instead of the default "break mode". In pattern mode you don't perform the full break. Instead, just like in IRL carrier quals, you take off, leave gear out, drop flaps and hook, climb to 600 ft and turn directly into the pattern. Max score is changed to 63 as you are no longer graded in the break. Useful for quick repetitions if you struggle with the final turn for instance, or just want to make touch and goes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, let me say I LOVE this mission. Huge help for Tomcat drivers like me. Thank you for creating it.

Secondly, it sadly now causes my DCS to crash 100% of the time whenever I choose another slot for the Tomcat to respawn in the air. It's done it 5 times in a row now. Note that I have been away from DCS for a few months, so am running a clean install, latest beta, with Voice Attack, SimShaker and DCS UFC script plug ins.  I've never had this problem before, and have logged many, many hours using this mission. I haven't tried any multiplayer yet, but other DCS missions seem to run fine - but they don't require me to change slot. It's only when I use the slot-change feature that it's causing my DCS to just hang. So badly in fact, that I have to hard reboot my PC.

DCS doesn't seem to be generating a new crash log when this happens either - the date on it is several days ago.

Any ideas, as I really need this baby to get me back into shape so I can fly with my squadron - right now my landings are a red-hot wave-off mess!

• Like 1

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your work I always enjoy these kind of missions. But...

I use this mission to train the Case 1 with the Tomcat and I find it a bit irritating that you don't start 10 nm behind the boat but 8.1 nm according to TACAN. Also unfortunatley ATC frequency and TACAN are not set. So i have to tell Jester to set it all up or either doing that myself, keeping the jet in the air and after that setting the wings to 68° and trimming. These are a lot of things to do within 8.1 nm 🙂 At the moment I use active pause to set everything up.

Maybe editing the given planes with the correct frquency and TACAN would be a great help.

Had my first spin around Marianas tonight... now THAT'S a naval air map!  The deep blue, wide-open water with just a few islands in the distance... it strikes me that this would be a beautiful place to do some CQ 😉.

@Bankler , any chance of you knocking together a version of the case 1 recovery trainer on Marianas?  Or, can anyone comment on if there's a straightforward way to move all the pertinent chunks of a mission onto a new map? I'm pretty confident I'd break the scripting if I tried, and of course that's the important part...

Sorry to be greedy.  I don't know how high the workload would be for something like this if it had to be built from scratch, and I completely understand not wanting to undertake that.  Creating this mission in the first place was already quite generous.  I just think it would suit the new map really well, and I suspect I'm not the only one...

Either way, thanks again. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Had my first spin around Marianas tonight... now THAT'S a naval air map!  The deep blue, wide-open water with just a few islands in the distance... it strikes me that this would be a beautiful place to do some CQ 😉.

@Bankler , any chance of you knocking together a version of the case 1 recovery trainer on Marianas?  Or, can anyone comment on if there's a straightforward way to move all the pertinent chunks of a mission onto a new map? I'm pretty confident I'd break the scripting if I tried, and of course that's the important part...

Sorry to be greedy.  I don't know how high the workload would be for something like this if it had to be built from scratch, and I completely understand not wanting to undertake that.  Creating this mission in the first place was already quite generous.  I just think it would suit the new map really well, and I suspect I'm not the only one...

Either way, thanks again. 

Hi! No, I won't do versions for other maps. You can try an open the miz with a zip program and edit the mission-file in a text editor. 

Replace:

["theatre"] = "Caucasus",

with:

["theatre"] = "MarianaIslands",

...and see what happens. In theory it should work. But depending on the two maps' respective coordinate systems, the units might be put in weird places, and you might have to get your hands dirty to fix that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 8:03 AM, Bankler said:

Hi! No, I won't do versions for other maps. You can try an open the miz with a zip program and edit the mission-file in a text editor. 

Replace:

["theatre"] = "Caucasus",

with:

["theatre"] = "MarianaIslands",

...and see what happens. In theory it should work. But depending on the two maps' respective coordinate systems, the units might be put in weird places, and you might have to get your hands dirty to fix that.

In addition to the above, what I did was:

In the DCS ME, move one of the Bullseye markers close to where I wanted to put the carrier.

Open up the mission file in the miz (I "open archive" and extract "mission") and look for the x/y coordinates of the Bullseye marker I  moved, and copy them.

Replace the x/y coordinates of each "unit" (and triggers) with the copied coordinates 

Replace all "Start from Runway" and "Start from Ramp", etc. at each WP1 with "Turning Point"

save the mission file and move back into the .miz file

In the DCS ME, you should have a HUGE stack of units all on the same coordinate.  Move the airborne units to where you want to start from (you'll probably have to delete and redo WP2+ for all units), and change each Cold Start and Catapult start to "take off from Ramp" and "take off from Runway".  Look at an original mission and note how the Trigger zones are placed, and move them in your Marianas mission to match.  Once you get all of the units that successfully transferred, look at the ME unit list and note which units did NOT work (in my case, ALL of the Batumi launched and almost all of the airborne start aircraft, as well as OVERLORD and TEXACO; delete them (I could never get them to work, even after multiple tries).  Setup your own AWACs and Tanker and you should have lots of cold and catapult start and one or two airborne start aircraft.

It took a *long* time to do and doesn't have the number of aircraft of the original mission, but it works great otherwise.

Edited by grcooper
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, grcooper said:

In addition to the above, what I did was:

In the DCS ME, move one of the Bullseye markers close to where I wanted to put the carrier.

Open up the mission file in the miz (I "open archive" and extract "mission") and look for the x/y coordinates of the Bullseye marker I  moved, and copy them.

Replace the x/y coordinates of each "unit" with the copied coordinates

Replace all "Start from Runway" and "Start from Ramp", etc. at each WP1 with "Turning Point"

save the mission file and move back into the .miz file

In the DCS ME, you should have a HUGE stack of units all on the same coordinate.  Move the airborne units to where you want to start from (you'll probably have to delete and redo WP2+ for all units), and change each Cold Start and Catapult start to "take off from Ramp" and "take off from Runway".  Look at an original mission and note how the Trigger zones are placed, and move them in your Marianas mission to match.  Once you get all of the units that successfully transferred, look at the ME unit list and note which units did NOT work (in my case, ALL of the Batumi launched and almost all of the airborne start aircraft, as well as OVERLORD and TEXACO; delete them (I could never get them to work, even after multiple tries).  Setup your own AWACs and Tanker and you should have lots of cold and catapult start and one or two airborne start aircraft.

It took a *long* time to do and doesn't have the number of aircraft of the original mission, but it works great otherwise.

Would you be happy to share the resultant miz file?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

59 minutes ago, zildac said:

Would you be happy to share the resultant miz file?

That would be up to Bankler.  I could understand why he wouldn't want "adulterated" versions of his files circulating (I would change the mission description to note that it wasn't the original, and that it was "as is" - ie., don't ask for support 😉 ).  Also, I have modded it further to add training missions (intercept, SEAD, CAS, etc.) to most of the aircraft, so it's probably no longer suitable for MP play, but the enemy units and triggers could be easily deleted.

Edited by grcooper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, grcooper said:

That would be up to Bankler.  I could understand why he wouldn't want "adulterated" versions of his files circulating (I would change the mission description to note that it wasn't the original, and that it was "as is" - ie., don't ask for support 😉 ).  Also, I have modded it further to add training missions (intercept, SEAD, CAS, etc.) to most of the aircraft, so it's probably no longer suitable for MP play, but the enemy units and triggers could be easily deleted.

That's a very good point and one that I hadn't considered 👍 @Bankler

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 7/15/2021 at 3:42 PM, grcooper said:

On 7/15/2021 at 7:25 PM, zildac said:

That's a very good point and one that I hadn't considered 👍 @Bankler

Thanks for asking. It's completely fine though. You can just post it here.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

this may seem silly but where is the readme that indicates where to put the zip contents. aircraft  have a place in the mod folder  under sers and saved games, but they also sort of exist as their own folder and here its several folders within the zip  file and not just .miz stand alone file, 

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, grcooper said:

Ack!  Sorry guys, I haven't checked in for a while!  Note that there are some flights that have missions setup as well - Intercept, SEAD and CAS.

Bankler's Marianas Training_v07-00_SC_T-45.miz 1.34 MB · 2 downloads

No worries, many thanks!! 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/26/2021 at 1:51 PM, veenee said:

Are there any plans for Forrestal version? 😉

Seconded! 

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

• 1 month later...

Hay Bankler,

I love your mission. However, maybe due to the last update (?), when selecting any slot in the air, autoconfig starts setting things up, then gets stuck with the UFC button "2" remaining pressed in, and never finish (auto)configuration. Any chance you can look at it maybe?

Thanks