Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Been doing this for a while now, and feel like I'm getting better.

However, for some reason, even if I turn what feels like early (like abeam the island almost) and keep around 27-30 degrees angle of bank, I still manage to get a "too long groove" score. Not sure what I can do to fix it at this point

Thank you for this outstanding mission set. It is surprising how much enjoyment/frustration/reward can be gleaned from DCS without even loading a weapon thanks to exercises such as this. The breakdowns of the Case I procedure are perfect for making practice productive and repetition rewarding.

After a dozen cycles in the F-14 (after a dozen before that in the stock training mission)--best score is 46. I see many hours of fun practice ahead.

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

My first attempt I got -3 points :D

I tried it a dozen or so times and the improvement was obvious. Even managed to actually land once!

One thing I constantly get docked for is being too close to the carrier after the break. I'm not even turning at 1% of airspeed anymore, I basically pull a steady 2-2.5G all the way through the break. So I'm not sure why I'm always ending up < 1 nm from the carrier on the downwind. Any suggestions?

I am pretty terrible in the final turn and approach, and not so great at flying on speed and altitude on the downwind..... so like 3/4 of the procedure I'm not any good at. But, despite that, there is evidence that I can at least get on deck after really only a short amount of practice with this mission. It's way better than anything the game provides for training.

This is one of the most useful tools i've ever seen for dcs! Thank you VERY VERY much for this help.. Now I know in real time what I'm doing wrong and what is ok.. Sorry for discovering it after 2 years

Downloaded and used this for the first time last night. Well Done Bankler! This mission is the best way to learn and practice case 1 landings. I don't anticipate I will ever get even close to a perfect score but the mission allows me to conduct many approaches in a short time. AND it helps isolate the points in the circuit where you are missing the mark. After one sitting I have already refined my Pitch/Break turn to to achieve a much more consistent downwind leg.

Thanks!

Love these mission. These exercises are obsession-inducing and great fun.

I have done dozens of patterns, traps, and crashes in the F-14 and Stennis. Then today switched to the Supercarrier. Got my best score ever (62)---then in studying the score, I discovered that the scoring seems to be missing the "time in groove" five point line item that is in the non-Supercarrier mission, as all the possible points that show in the score screen add up to just 70.

Here is a screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16lIenSYBeoCKOwGD7QbysyYzjVsC_VXl/view?usp=sharing

If the score is 62 out of 70---I'm thrilled.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the scores on the previous attempts in the same session--the had the "Groove time" score on the first two of my five attempts. Attempts 3, 4, 5 did not. Weird.

Edited by manashttu
new information

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

Love these mission. These exercises are obsession-inducing and great fun.

I have done dozens of patterns, traps, and crashes in the F-14 and Stennis. Then today switched to the Supercarrier. Got my best score ever (62)---then in studying the score, I discovered that the scoring seems to be missing the "time in groove" five point line item that is in the non-Supercarrier mission, as all the possible points that show in the score screen add up to just 70.

Here is a screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16lIenSYBeoCKOwGD7QbysyYzjVsC_VXl/view?usp=sharing

If the score is 62 out of 70---I'm thrilled.

EDIT: I went back and looked at the scores on the previous attempts in the same session--the had the "Groove time" score on the first two of my five attempts. Attempts 3, 4, 5 did not. Weird.

Thanks! I can confirm that you currently do not get groovetime score with the Tomcat in the SC version. It has been fixed locally. So in the next version, it will be alright. Feel free to contact me on Discord if you need a fixed preview version of the mission.

Since the last DCS Openbeta update (52196), my displays are out at the beginning of the mission...

Hi,

Just checked here and all seems normal. Am running V6 SC of the mission. Are you sure you don't have any cockpit texture or MFD mods installed? Many of these are broken since the lastest OB and can result in "blank" MFD displays. If you have the same issue in an instant action flight that would be an easy way to check.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

You are right : my mod has to be updated (higher display readibility at high resolution).

Thanks very much

Makes sense, I also use that MOD and yes it causes the blank MFD issue in it's current guise.

You're welcome :thumbup:

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

• 1 month later...

VERSION 6.1.0

AUTUMN UPDATE!! :clap:

Polish and F-14 groove time score fix

attachment.php?attachmentid=247458&stc=1&d=1600112750

You can now download version 6.1.0 in the Original Post!

Finally F-14 pilots can get full score in the Supercarrier version (thanks to fixing the bug where F-14s didn't get groove time score). I guess that's a good thing, considering my average score when trying to land the Turkey! :helpsmilie:

An AWACS has been added, so that you can make use of your datalink when doing MP carrier practice. There are also a couple of other tweaks, fixes and improvements based on user feedback. Thanks a lot!

Cheers,

Bankler

CHANGE LOG

* Added AWACS aircraft.

* Changed the wording for ideal altitude at the ninety from "450" to "450-500" (you have always gotten full score for anything between 450 and 500, but the wording was confusing).

* Added "Settled" and "Extended Downwind" to the summary shown to all players.

* Fixed bug where Tomcat pilots didn't get any groove time score.

* Changed sidenumbers on all aircraft.

* Changed callsign format from "Chevy 1-1" to "Chevy11".

Enjoy!

Bankler_Case1_Splash_SeptemberUpdate.thumb.PNG.1cde6eeb6d7d98c080f68beedc84e88c.PNG

How come I can't get a paddles call in my A-10C?

Ha! Got a giggle out of someone, probably.

The real reason I post this is to thank you, Bankler, sincerely for your work on these carrier ops missions. (Why doesn't ED hire you for your skills?)

Thanks, man.

Mac, RTB.

The Hornet is best at killing things on the ground. Now, if we could just get a GAU-8 in the nose next to the AN/APG-65, a titanium tub around the pilot, and a couple of J-58 engines in the tail...

• 4 weeks later...

Just want to say what an amazing tool this is. As far as I can tell it's working flawlessly - I'm doing the F-14B hot start.

I'm a little confused about the difference between the pattern and break options though? Also, is there any chance you can include a PDF of the circuit diagram with your download, so we can print it or kneeboard it?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

Just want to say what an amazing tool this is. As far as I can tell it's working flawlessly - I'm doing the F-14B hot start.

I'm a little confused about the difference between the pattern and break options though? Also, is there any chance you can include a PDF of the circuit diagram with your download, so we can print it or kneeboard it?

Break mode: Approach from behind (initial), perform the break after the bow and go into the pattern. Good for practicing the whole thing, as it would look like when you recover after a mission.

Pattern mode: Take off from the ship, go on-speed, hook down, climb to 600' and turn left to downwind straight into the pattern. Good for getting lots of practice on the final parts of the landing (you can run it with hook up and go lap after lap after lap, if you can accept with the fact that you won't get any wire score, since you will always bolter, that is).

I attached a PNG with the pattern plus the break. Should work pretty well for kneeboard purposes I think.

Case1_Final.thumb.png.c8f4ba7625f2e463df00cfec7e0954c8.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thank you for your work and this mission.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been playing 6.0 primarily with F-14B the whole time and still running into a couple bugs... mostly inconsistent comms.  I'm doing alot better than I used to.  That initial turn to the downwind was beating me up but much much better.  Serves me right for not checking for a new version.

Touch and go grading sounds cool, too.  

Edited by Uxi

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

Hi guys.  Been using the new super carrier version 6.1 but I longer see the messages and grades/air speeds/ altitudes and get comments as I fly the pattern. I also don’t get a score once down on the deck and stationary.  Though there is an LSO grade during the debrief.  Are there settings I need to change in the F10 map?  Thanks

Win 10 Pro, Intel i9 9900k overclocked to 5.1 (water cooled), 64 gb Corsair Dominator platinum RAM (3444 MHz)

Titan RTX overclocked and water cooled

1.1 TB SSD 2 TB M.2 SSD

TM Warthog Stick and throttle

MFG Crosswinds

Reverb VR

Buttkicker LFE, SimShaker, Jetseat.

All DCS modules