Bankler's CASE 1 Recovery Trainer

Bankler

Hi, Bankler, any chance could you make this mission for the PG map as well? I've tried saving it as a static template but it doesn't seem to do it across different maps.

It's possible, but maintaining two versions isn't ideal as it tends to make things more bug prone during updates. What would be the purpose of having a PG version btw?

I understand, that's cool.

And nothing more than different scenarios for in the Persian Gulf.

Cheers

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

I read somewhere there are certain occasions when the ship can´t steer for a proper wind, such as entering one country´s waters, risking a collision with other ships and such.

Yep, also the wind is never perfect, hence the 20 knot offset to start with.

Wind IMO in dcs is a bit wonky but one can get used to it :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

After around 40 traps without this training mission, I thought I was getting in the groove.

God I'm crap at it! And the numbers are good for this training mission. Ive just listened to a recording on Fighter Pilot Podcast by "Jello" and "Fava" about CAT I landings and they match.

(Everyone needs to sign up to Fighter Pilot Podcast..... It's free and produced by Fighter Pilots. Jello, Ex F/A-18 & F-16)

I've done 40 traps that were done wrong... Now I need to unlearn bad habits.

Excellent training tool Bankler

After around 40 traps without this training mission, I thought I was getting in the groove.

God I'm crap at it! And the numbers are good for this training mission. Ive just listened to a recording on Fighter Pilot Podcast by "Jello" and "Fava" about CAT I landings and they match.

(Everyone needs to sign up to Fighter Pilot Podcast..... It's free and produced by Fighter Pilots. Jello, Ex F/A-18 & F-16)

I've done 40 traps that were done wrong... Now I need to unlearn bad habits.

Excellent training tool Bankler

Just to quickly add that the podcast mentioned here really is superb. If you haven't listened to it yet you really are missing out on a bit of a gem.

Sry, back on topic.

I did the same. I honestly thought I had it nailed. It's not as frustrating as it used to be and I am making progress.

Practice, practice.......etc

Hey Bankler

I do not know if it has been suggested before or even possible.

Can each final result on landing on the carrier be save to a file? I would like to go through the results closely. A hard copy I can review and compare with other of my results.

Thanks once again.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Anyway to adapt this for a straight in approach? I'm just beginning and would like to practice just landing instead of doing a full pattern to start with.
I think this mission is tailored for case 1 carrier landing.

You can still straight landing but you will not get those scores and ratings.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Can each final result on landing on the carrier be save to a file? I would like to go through the results closely. A hard copy I can review and compare with other of my results.

It's technically possible, but it'd require the user to edit some files to enable Lua scripts permission to write to the harddrive. In general, people are careful with those kinds of hacks (for good reasons), so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the effort.

Though I agree that it'd be pretty neat, I think for now we'll have to just screenshot the result page.

Firefox reset and works fine now

Glad to hear! Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Will the grading triggers work with the Tomcat? (provided we edit the mission to have Tomcat slots)

I’m working on getting the Tomcat support in there and hopefully an updated version will be out in a not-too-far future.

Will post here as soon as it’s done. I don’t recommend changing the mission on your own. It could possibly work, but it won’t give you a correct score since the target aoa is different and a number of other reasons. Also the trap recognition won’t really work since the wire pullback is different and aircraft altitude on deck is different. In other words it requires quite a bit of scripting to support both Hornets and Cats. Hoped to get preview access to prepare all this stuff before the release but unfortunately Heatblur never replied to any emails.

Writing results to the HDD could be interesting if looking to do an online leaderboard style thing for squadrons - write out results, have something dump them to a database, do data magic stuff and present on a website. Would you be ok with me having a poke about in the mission file and seeing if I could get something like that going for my group?

Writing results to the HDD could be interesting if looking to do an online leaderboard style thing for squadrons - write out results, have something dump them to a database, do data magic stuff and present on a website. Would you be ok with me having a poke about in the mission file and seeing if I could get something like that going for my group?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just came here to say thank you, purchased the Hornet few days ago, did a lot of carrier landing, but not CASE 1. More like CASE WHAAW. Exploded just a few times.

Now i can train with your mission. thank you.

SFMBE

VERSION 4.0.0

F-14B TOMCAT UPDATE!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=207860&stc=1&d=1554240113

You can now download version 4.0.0 in the Original Post!

Sorry for the lack of updates lately. I was busy getting a kid, yup, right during the F-14 launch! Finally I've come around to implementing F-14 support. It was a little challenge, since the scoring has to respect the different AOA required to be on-speed for the two different aircraft as well as some other differances, and I was determined to support both types in the same mission file, so that you can fly together with friends using a mix of Hornets and Tomcats.

I also added groove time measurements and you can now get up to 5 extra points if you hit the recommended groove time of 15-18 seconds. Be advised that it's really hard for an algorithm to determine when exactly to start the timer. IRL it depends on the approach, like if the aircraft comes straight into the centerline lined up, or if it's angling (and probably a handful of other factors). According to my Navy contact, it's quite subjective. In this version, the timer starts ticking when you get inside of a 3-4 degree offset from the centerline. I don't claim that my current implementation does a perfect job, but at least it should encourage you to make a little tighter turn and not be that long in the groove.

Hope you'll enjoy it! I can guarantee that getting a perfect score in the Tomcat is quite a bit tougher than in the Hornet (I have never achieved close to 75 / 75 myself yet!). Don't be shy to post screenshots of your scores or videos! It's always very inspiring to see people using the mission!

CHANGE LOG

* Added Tomcat support (airborne, on catapult, cold start)

* Identifying if you're flying Hornet or Tomcat and adjusting required AOA and such to match the current aircraft.

* Added groove time measuring.

* Increased max score from 70 to 75 (because of groove time score).

* Adjusted overhead tanker pattern to make it fly smoother tracks.

* Changed Stennis TCN to 74X.

* Changed overhead KC-130 TCN to 37X.

* Fixed bug that caused some problems when restarting the mission.

Enjoy!

BanklersCase1RecoveryTrainer_F-14B_1024.thumb.png.d88a5a32bc7d27c82f7a160ee7d65062.png