Helios 1.4 - Taking to the Skys Once Again

Gentlefolk,

I wanted to bring to everyone's attention that there is a beta version of Helios now available. As far as I am aware, this is the first public distribution of Gadroc's fantastic virtual cockpit simulator which he donated to the community.

The learning curve has been steep, but the release that we are calling 1.4 Beta 3 contains:

• An Interface for Razbam's AV-8B Harrier
  • A partial interface and gauges for the MiG-21Bis
  • Various bug fixes

The near-future roadmap contains

1. F/A-18C Hornet Interface and gauges
  2. A generic interface to enable the "Top-Tier" profile creators such as Capt Zeen to have a slightly easier life

Creating aircraft specific interfaces is extremely time consuming, so there should be no expectation that Helios 1.4 will eventually contain an interface for every aircraft type (unless others wish to contribute them).

It there are closet Helios developers who have written their own interfaces and wish for them to be included in Helios then please PM me.

Collaborators on this development project were Bloop, AG-51_Animal & Capt Zeen.

Let us know what you think, and feel free to give the download file some stars if you feel inclined.

All the best, BlueFinBima

BlueFinBima

Latest Helios Virtual Cockpit Team version of Helios can be found on Github

BlueFinBima Helios YouTube

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing good job!

From here i ask everyone uses my profiles, to test it in this new version.

Soon wi'll be another version and we need as much feedback as posible, before release it.

Right now i am working on a new complete Mi-8 2.0 profile, using the new features and the new General interface we included in the next Helios beta4 release.

With this new multipurpose interface we are able to create profiles for airplanes that already do not have a specific interface in Helios.

My plan is convert the UH1H profile to this new system aswell, as soon as possible, and at last forget about the keyboard files and problems!

Thanks to BlueFinBima and all the collaborators!

Edited by Capt Zeen

Thank you for this, I look forward to giving it a test drive.

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming / AMD 7800X3D / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 64GB DDR5 6000 Ram / SSD M.2 SK hynix Platinum P41 2TB / MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 SUPRIM Liquid X 24G / SteelSeries Arctis 7 Headset /LG-Ultragear 38" IPS LED Ultrawide HD Monitor (3840 x 1600) / Track IR4 / Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals / Virpil HOTAS VPC Constellation ALPHA-R & VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle

I would love to see the addition for the F15 RWR and optionally the Multi Purpose Color Display (MPCD). Also the gauge data so there is no need to jump through hoops with Capt Zeen's awesome work. I am sure there are still a lot of us that fly the F15.

Thanks for your efforts

So far it seems to work fine with CZ's F18 profile.

Edited by sobe

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Hi Ray,

I've been running this Helios with a variant of Loz's A-10C profile for a long time and I have not found any incompatibility. If you do encounter any incompatibilities, let us know and we'll try to fix it.

Anyone can write a profile with Helios, and if there is something you feel can be improved in Loz's A-10C, you have the option to make the change and contribute the profile back for others to benefit from the improvement.

It would be great to hear how you get on.

Cheers, BFB

compatible like the A-10C Loz SM v2.1 profile or you plan to do a new one?

BlueFinBima

Hi Ray,

I've been running this Helios with a variant of Loz's A-10C profile for a long time and I have not found any incompatibility. If you do encounter any incompatibilities, let us know and we'll try to fix it.

Anyone can write a profile with Helios, and if there is something you feel can be improved in Loz's A-10C, you have the option to make the change and contribute the profile back for others to benefit from the improvement.

It would be great to hear how you get on.

Cheers, BFB

good. I "discover helios 1.4 very late yesterday night. I will do a bit of RTFM, install, play with it then be back to gice you my first impression and if I found any issues.

My main concern:

- Will it be compatible with old LoZ profile(i do not feel to reinvente the wheel)

- Will it make DCS crach or freese

Look great so far !!

Hi;)

Very very good news ,thank’s for your job in FRANCE I more pilots are happy !;)

But at final What aircraft work’s with this new hélios ???

Av8B

And other ??

A-10?

F-18?

F-15 ?

Thank’s:)

Greats for all

Lolof1/C6-checksix/ FrenchWebsite

Aplushhhsssss

Core I7 4770k/5930k/6700k. All OC 4,5Ghz-Watercooling Corsair H100i/H110i V2/GYGABYTE SNIPER 5/ASUS ROG RAMPAGE EXTRÊME VI/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS FORMULA VIII/32-64 RAM DDR3-4/Alim Enermax Platimax 1200-1500 Watt/GTX 1080TI FE OC +20%/ SLI TITAN X PASCAL OC+20% /Corsair 800D/900D /VIRPIL T50-57 MONGOOST/ Hotas/Cougar/Warthog / MFG rudder pedals / Oculus CV1 ./WHEEL BASE THRUSTMASTER TS-PC RACER-WHEEL ROSOF1 Ferrari modder SIMDISPLAY SIMR-F1/WHEEL MERCEDES F1-HAMILTON 2016 SIMULAJE « AKIRA »....

testing 1.4 beta3 with LOZ2.1 and Capt Zeen export.lua

so far so good.

all swithes work.

DCS : no crach, no freeze

If someone whit better knoledge the me could had the new airfields from the new maps, that would be perfect

BTW: I am from Québec, Canada

Raab

Edited by raymondabel

you know something that would make me very happy?

if you could change the main interface to put the "reset" botton" top right like that.

So I could drag the interface lower left corner and simply hit reset whaen needed

Ray

Hi Ray, I am probably missing something here. Why would you want to access the reset button on the control center panel when you have a profile running? Why would you not just assign a button in the profile to be reset? Apologies if I'm being ignorant about what you're asking. Learning how others use Helios is an evolving story.

Cheers, BFB

BlueFinBima

Hi;)

Very very good news ,thank’s for your job in FRANCE I more pilots are happy !;)

But at final What aircraft work’s with this new hélios ???

Av8B

And other ??

A-10?

F-18?

F-15 ?

Thank’s:)

Greats for all

Lolof1/C6-checksix/ FrenchWebsite

Aplushhhsssss

Core I7 4770k/5930k/6700k. All OC 4,5Ghz-Watercooling Corsair H100i/H110i V2/GYGABYTE SNIPER 5/ASUS ROG RAMPAGE EXTRÊME VI/ASUS ROG MAXIMUS FORMULA VIII/32-64 RAM DDR3-4/Alim Enermax Platimax 1200-1500 Watt/GTX 1080TI FE OC +20%/ SLI TITAN X PASCAL OC+20% /Corsair 800D/900D /VIRPIL T50-57 MONGOOST/ Hotas/Cougar/Warthog / MFG rudder pedals / Oculus CV1 ./WHEEL BASE THRUSTMASTER TS-PC RACER-WHEEL ROSOF1 Ferrari modder SIMDISPLAY SIMR-F1/WHEEL MERCEDES F1-HAMILTON 2016 SIMULAJE « AKIRA »....

The AV-8B interface is the significant piece of new function in the Beta, and we included Cylution's MiG-21Bis gauges as well.

With Beta 3, we just wanted to get some code out to allow folk like yourself to tell us whether there are any major problems with 1.4+ code base (which was a re-write of a number of areas by Gadroc and then some work by amateurs ;-) ).

We have some more function in the wings for the next release. There is a generic interface to help Capt Zeen's profiles and, yes, there is an F/A-18C interface (but I have not yet decided whether it is good enough to release),

After that, our road map is less certain. the one certainty is that we will not be providing an interface for every single aircraft in DCS. I estimate that the Av-8B interface took me around 400 hours to get to the stage where it is at now. If others have written an interface for a particular aircraft, then I'm happy for them to contact me to see if inclusion in Helios is feasible.

At some point I need to get some time flying mt Harrier and Hornet as opposed to focusing on delivering the next part of the Helios story. I'm really concerned that the sea air is causing corrosion while my planes are sitting on the deck :cry:.

Keep the feedback coming. It really does help to give us insights into what is important.

All the best BFB

BlueFinBima

Maybe I miss something but:

I did completly un install 1.3.90

then Helios Installer

Mydocuments/helios was created

but no profiles and no export.lua file avalable.

I had to put back my old a-10c profile and export file from Cpt Zeen

Hi Ray,

To get DCS to talk to a Helios Interface, you need to install the interface for the aircraft in the Profile Editor. I don't believe anything has changed for the A-10C so the existing exports should work, however I don't think that any of the multi-aircraft exports files available today will accommodate the AV-8B interface in Helios (as an example).

I am aware that the management of exports.lua is one significant area that has moved forwards while Helios stagnated. The consequence is that the way that Helios manages exports.lua on an aircraft by aircraft basis does not really fit with how the Helios community has evolved. I am aware of the issue, but I am not clear how to reconcile Helios with the reality of what is being used today.

BlueFinBima

You just need a (hidden) busston to let the Helios-Interface pop up. Position will be saved automatically.

Most profiles already have such a (hidden) button.

RightStuff, I agree, assigning an in-profile button to do the reset is the way to go.

BlueFinBima

Hi Ray, I am probably missing something here. Why would you want to access the reset button on the control center panel when you have a profile running? Why would you not just assign a button in the profile to be reset?

Because I have no clue how to do it

:)

Edited by raymondabel

Can someone point me in the right direction to learn how to create a custom profile? I don't need monitor output just the switch mapping. I don't have any coding experience but I'm willing to learn. My current situation is I'm using Helios profile for my A-10C cockpit and VR. All I'm using is the button mapping and several Bodnar boards. Helios is fantastic for me as I don't have to do any coding to make the toggle switch off positions send a signal to DCS to switch off in the cockpit. That's the main reason I'm asking...no complex .LUA files to edit.