Sukhoi Su-17

Alpenwolf

In terms of avionics and weapon options, the Su-17M3 and MiG-27D/M are almost the same. The Su-17M4 adds a cockpit TV display to fire Kh-29T.

The MiG-27K is on another level with a forward looking optical sight similar to the Su-25T's Shkval, with the addition of a laser that can designate down- and backwards to guide LGBs.

The MiG-27 family has an internal SPS-141 jammer which reportetly was very effective against the Hawk SAM. The Su-17 carried SPS-141 as an external pod only.

Interesting! Thanks.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Bumping this thread just so the Sukhoi doesn't get forgotten. REDFOR needs its strike aircraft and the Fitter would be... a perfect fit (pun very much intended).

• Like 3

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

• 2 months later...

I still dont understand a lot about the Russian government laws if the americans share info on the F18 or the f-16 systems i dont undersand why not share the info on the MIG 27 and also i would love to see SU-17 or 22 who knows its a clasical beautiful aircraft i wish all take care and stay safe.

Now we can safely forget about Russian modules, but not about Soviet ones. Su-17 is a plane from 1970s, if ED or some 3rd party would be interested it should be possible.

ED is making MiG-29 9.12 from 1980s and this is probably some red line of the most recent we can get.

Edited by bies
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, bies said:

Now we can safely forget about Russian modules, but not about Soviet ones...

I'm afraid that's not correct. I believe there was an interview with Kate where she said we wont be getting any Soviet WWll planes any time soon or maybe ever! If that's not happening then surely later planes are tougher to get. But then there's the MiG-29A. How did that happen?! Who knows... Very mysterious.

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

I'm afraid that's not correct. I believe there was an interview with Kate where she said we wont be getting any Soviet WWll planes any time soon or maybe ever! If that's not happening then surely later planes are tougher to get. But then there's the MiG-29A. How did that happen?! Who knows... Very mysterious.

I imagine that's probably interest, I doubt anything about WWII warbirds that this year are ~70 years out of service with the USSR have anything classified. Considering we got the MiG-15bis, Mil Mi-24P (and an early 90s version at that) and an early 80s 9.12 MiG-29.

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

2 hours ago, Alpenwolf said:

That's because ED has no plans doing Soviet WWII planes, not because of laws. Octogus G did I-16 and if rumours are correct they are now doing La-7.

ED don't develop Soviet WWII birds because they don't fit in the current theater of war ED is developing based around second front. This is what one of the devs said IIRC.

• Like 1

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ!

Gib full-fi Su-27 or MiG-29 plz!

AMD R7 3700X|32GB DDR4 RAM|Gigabyte RTX2070S Gaming OC|2TB NVMe SDD + 1TB SSD + 2TBB + 1TB HDD|Dell P3421W|Windows 10 Pro x64

TM Warthog|MFG Crosswind|Samsung Odyssey+|TrackIR 5

Modules: Mirage F1|Mi-24P|JF-17|F/A-18C|F-14A/B|F-5E|M-2000C|MiG-21bis|L-39|Yak-52|FC3|Supercarrier || Terrains: Persian Gulf|NTTR|Normandy|Syria

I could be wrong about this but I think Magnitude teased a Su-17 module just before Christmas. Well it's just an outline of a model under a tarp but it looks very much like an Su-17 outline. Take that with a few grains of salt, since splitting from Heatblur, Magnitude has yet to release a module. (I don't really count the Christen Eagle)

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I could be wrong about this but I think Magnitude teased a Su-17 module just before Christmas. Well it's just an outline of a model under a tarp but it looks very much like an Su-17 outline. Take that with a few grains of salt, since splitting from Heatblur, Magnitude has yet to release a module. (I don't really count the Christen Eagle)

Can you please share the teaser and make me a happy man?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Just now, Alpenwolf said:

Can you please share the teaser and make me a happy man?

Sure, it's right here on the forums:

There is some discussion of what the aircraft is under the tarp, but IMO it fits Su-17/20 most closely

• Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

Sure, it's right here on the forums:

There is some discussion of what the aircraft is under the tarp, but IMO it fits Su-17/20 most closely

Made my day! It does look like a Fitter!

Cheers!

• Like 1

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

5 hours ago, Nipil said:

It would sure be the most exciting news if it was Su-17/20/22 in that teaser. But many in the aforementioned thread argue that it isn't. So "don't put your hopes up too high"©. Let's wait and see.

That's the problem with those teasers. Just imagine it turns out to be something else! Some will be happy and others might rage and start posting their disappointment. Pretty much like what happened with RAZBAM with all the threads and posts some months ago.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

What could it be, though? Su-9/11? I'm pretty sure nobody wants that (it being a crappy interceptor with no gun and just two missiles). Su-7? Maybe, but it's also a Fitter, so it fits. 🙂 (sorry)

Just about the only good match for that kind of shape is the Su-17, with the only other possible options being either very old and niche (above) or already made (MiG-21 and Lightning). The shock cone intake on the nose is a relatively rare feature, and the shape of the tarp pretty clearly indicates the aircraft has one.

4 minutes ago, Bravelink03 said:

could possibly be another Mig variant (f, PF or PFM) . Tho I hope its a Su7,or 17 .

Meh, I'd take any of those, only nothing for them to fight. The F-5E-3 is perfect for the MiG-21bis (both introduced in the same year AFAIK), but the older -21s are a bit older.

I'm hoping for a Fitter, preferably an Su-17/20/22M4

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

For instance, I hope that we get a F-5E-1 (4 Missiles, some had Mavericks), F-105 Thunderchief , F-100 Super Sabre for the Blue side. And for the Red Side, F-5 could be available as a VPAF (least preferred) Mig-23 (early and Late) Su-15, Su-17, Su-24 ,etc and etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bravelink03 said:

For instance, I hope that we get a F-5E-1 (4 Missiles, some had Mavericks), F-105 Thunderchief , F-100 Super Sabre for the Blue side. And for the Red Side, F-5 could be available as a VPAF (least preferred) Mig-23 (early and Late) Su-15, Su-17, Su-24 ,etc and etc.

Yeah, I'd go for them all. Unfortunately ED seems pretty adverse to doing older aircraft; they've stated that they have no interest in the century series and now have basically abandoned the Phantom.

System:

Well, we're getting the A-7 and F-8, that's got to count for something. Going from "tarp" to "full fidelity module" is unlikely to be a fast process, and we're likely to get them before that. 🙂 Also, Mirage F1. The Su-17 would be best, given that it's still in use, but and early MiG-21 or Su-7 would be nice, too. I couldn't care less for the Fishpot, it was a crappy interceptor with four mostly useless missiles and no gun. Good against bombers (two per sortie, if you're good at hitting with the beamriders) and nothing else. Even with upgrades to both the plane and the missiles, it never amounted to much.

10 hours ago, Northstar98 said:

Yeah, I'd go for them all. Unfortunately ED seems pretty adverse to doing older aircraft; they've stated that they have no interest in the century series and now have basically abandoned the Phantom.

Well, ED has almost fully run out of MODERN DOABLE aircrafts. So, it could either be their bigger focus is on WW2 series, western theater or they would be mostly expanding on just the DCS sim engine itself, adding features etc than new modules. Personally, not into DCS WW2 planes (I use the IL-2 series for that)  and I do not own any of those WW2 planes in DCS, except the freebee TF-51. I do, however, I do own all of the jet series minus the A-10. Also non on helos, need to learn to fly those.

ED still has to UPDATE a lot of the OLDER AI 3D models that look odd from the old LOMAC series assets.

Century series aircrafts are aplenty and most of them has seen very good amount of combat (M.E nations). Su-17 series or the 7 would be a good addition, at least its got SECONDARY air to air ability (Not the Su-7), having cannons and self defence short range missiles and that is plus.

They've also stated Mig 27 is NOT planned.

They also did state they've got no plans for a Vietnam map in the roadmap. So, pretty much, the Phantom is chucked from their plans and free for 3rd party to take.

Edited by jojyrocks
  • Like 1

According to Simon Pearson (I quote him quite often. He might start hating me by now 😉) he loves the F-4 and can't wait to fly in DCS but unfortunately work on it has been postponed a number of time. That doesn't sound like it has been cancelled. Don't break my heart now, gents. The Cold War server is not enough without the Phantom 🥺

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

26 minutes ago, Alpenwolf said:

According to Simon Pearson (I quote him quite often. He might start hating me by now 😉) he loves the F-4 and can't wait to fly in DCS but unfortunately work on it has been postponed a number of time. That doesn't sound like it has been cancelled. Don't break my heart now, gents. The Cold War server is not enough without the Phantom 🥺

According to a much more recent quote from Kate Perederko, it appears to be as good as cancelled unfortunately.

Simon Pearson, as far as I recall in the same interview you have quoted, said that century series are not in consideration at all too. It is clear ED has switched direction a few years ago to do all the most modern "crowd pleaser" that average customer will buy, and will sell more, unfortunately. Well at least we are finally getting the Hind sometime soonish...

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script