Sukhoi Su-17

Alpenwolf

Upgrading the software should never be a problem (up to a certain degree of course). It doesn't surprise that strong countries like China and Indea still operate old hardware. And they're strong because of the upgraded software that has been introduced to whatever is available. Very thoughtful from an economic point of view. The USA for example rather write off a whole generation of a specific fighter than upgrading the equipment. I mean Indea for instance used a bloody MiG-21 recently to shoot down a Pakistani F-16! Developing/buying new stuff doesn't guarantee success. Upgrading what is at hand and quite experienced is probably more effective and economical than investing in new projects.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Cold War 1947 - 1991                                       Discord
Helicopters Tournaments
Combined Arms Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
... still hopin, prayin and wishin :music_whistling:

Since Soviet jets are already a rare thing to be cleared for development you are going to have to make due with the MiG-23MLA Flogger G in the mean time because that is the only other soviet jet that has been confirmed for development by Razbam so far.

1144809.jpg?v=v40

Edited by Evoman

Since Soviet jets are already a rare thing to be cleared for development you are going to have to make due with the MiG-23MLA Flogger G in the mean time because that is the only other soviet jet that has been confirmed for development by Razbam so far.

Which is why I'm hopin, prayin and wishin. Need all the powers to make this happen :smilewink:

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

You can help me with keeping up the server via PayPal donations: hokumyounis@yahoo.com

Which is why I'm hopin, prayin and wishin. Need all the powers to make this happen :smilewink:

Well by what I know I know that this is out of the hands of Eagle Dynamics. As they are not allowed to do Soviet aircraft because ED is a Russian company. However it is possible for a 3rd party based out of Russia to do it. But then comes the issue of getting all the required documentation, data and finally licensing which the Russian government controls.

The one good thing that would make the Su-17 a little for feasible is that it is an older jet that has pretty much been retired.

https://alert5podcast.podbean.com/e/scramble-04-matt-wags-wagner/

Edited by Evoman

Mi-24

Does the Mi-24 have sensitive materials in the same way a MiG-29 does? No, it doesn't. At least, in the eyes of the Russian MoD and since ED still has offices in Russia, it's in their interest to listen.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Su-17/22

As one the few mid-coldwar tactical bomber, Su-17 is a must have.

This would be super cool!

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Getting the license for eastern planes has always been an issue. Even though it's an old bird. But I'm still hoping!

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 4 weeks later...

Interesting plane, I suggested the Su-22 in another thread.

FC3, Ka-50, A-10C, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, F-14A/B, F/A-18C, F-16C, NTTR, Persian Gulf, Super Carrier, TacView Advanced

Next in line: F-5 II , MiG-19 , MiG-23 MLA

Wishlist: PA-100 Tornado, F-104 Starfighter, MiG-25 Foxbat, A-6 Intruder

Well, whichever is possible or whichever version saw the most action.

Pretty sure its doable. Its old and retired and there isn't any extremely secret stuff...

Pretty sure its doable. Its old and retired and there isn't any extremely secret stuff...

You'd be surprised by how secretive they seem to be according to some posts in other threads in that regard.

It's always been an issue with Russian planes and ED and/or third parties. Policies.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

• 1 month later...

Isn't the Su-22 an export version of the -17 and one -22 version even has two seats for training purposes?

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

Yea, you right, I should add info about engines, so:

Su-17/Su17K - AL-7F

Su-17M/Su-20/Su-17M2/Su-17M3/Su-17M4/Su-22M4/ Su-17UM,/Su-17UM3/Su-22UM3K - AL-21F3

Su-22/Su-22U/Su-22M/Su-22M3/Su-22UM3 - R-29B-300.

You always nail it with good information :thumbup:

Separate issue:

Any data on whether the Su-17 is better than the MiG-27 in AG tasking? I looked up some stuff and they both had their AG experience. They both seem to have the same setup of weapons (more or less). They both can fire anti-radiation missiles. TV/Laser guided missiles/rockets. Bombs, rockets... The Su-17 can even carry the R-73 (according to Wikipedia) while the MiG-27 R-60M's only, etc.

After comparing the two, I would say the Su-17 is your better choice. And maybe the fact that more countries used it or still do speaks for it.

cold war 1947 - 1991.jpg

Helicopters Tournaments

In terms of avionics and weapon options, the Su-17M3 and MiG-27D/M are almost the same. The Su-17M4 adds a cockpit TV display to fire Kh-29T.

The MiG-27K is on another level with a forward looking optical sight similar to the Su-25T's Shkval, with the addition of a laser that can designate down- and backwards to guide LGBs.

The MiG-27 family has an internal SPS-141 jammer which reportetly was very effective against the Hawk SAM. The Su-17 carried SPS-141 as an external pod only.