Let's Talked about the FLIR

Shadow_1stVFW

I've been thinking about the FLIR and how it works inside of DCS. My thought is at least for the HUD FLIR is to go back to the black and white overlay. I understand it's less realistic. But what is the point of realism if it is unusable in the SIM. I flew a pretty involved night mission in Normandy near the coast yesterday and while the FLIR is usable, it would be much better for the time being in black and white. (See Below)

61f493267ce2d2b1183799fbf3500f5b.png

Reason being is with the core FLIR system being less than optimal, and the trees and water maxing out temp wise, your HUD elements get washed out, constantly. Over water, you really have a hard time using the FLIR at all.

It is my understanding ED is or has plans to work on the FLIR and in the future maybe the green overlay will work. But for now, I wish upon a star to get the Black and white overlay back for the HUD.

${1}

Thought on this?

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Your video did not embed.

From a youtube link just take the last part and use that.

so for this link

You just need to put this

OCFMX5z-ed4

in between the forum youtube tags.

On the subject of FLIR though, I thought ED was revamping the way the FLIR works in DCS along with the radar and other systems. Pretty sure that was in the latest mini update.

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

I've been thinking about the FLIR and how it works inside of DCS. My thought is at least for the HUD FLIR is to go back to the black and white overlay. I understand it's less realistic. But what is the point of realism if it is unusable in the SIM. I flew a pretty involved night mission in Normandy near the coast yesterday and while the FLIR is usable, it would be much better for the time being in black and white. (See Below)

61f493267ce2d2b1183799fbf3500f5b.png

Reason being is with the core FLIR system being less than optimal, and the trees and water maxing out temp wise, your HUD elements get washed out, constantly. Over water, you really have a hard time using the FLIR at all.

It is my understanding ED is or has plans to work on the FLIR and in the future maybe the green overlay will work. But for now, I wish upon a star to get the Black and white overlay back for the HUD.

Thought on this?

Here it is with video

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

I've flown a number of night missions in the Harrier recently and never had any issues with the current implementation of the FLIR. I see no advantage of black/white over what we have now.
Take it out over the water. Like I said. It's useable. But fact is there exist a possibility for the FLIR and the HUD symbology to display the same color, thereby washing the information out. Less of an issue away from water, but trees have the same effect.

My point is, something isn't right, avionics designers wouldn't set it up to wash out information important enough to have .add it in the HUD.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

Water is borked because of current FLIR modeling in DCS. Not Harrier-specific.
That is my point, because of this modeling if the FLIR being what it is, is be more useful to have the black and white projecting so the HUD elements are always visable. Despite the FLIR not working as intended.

That way his elements are never hidden by the FLIR because it will not and cannot display the same color for HUD elements and floor elements.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Yeah I have agree to this...when the Harrier first arrived the NavFLIR and FLIR worked beautifully! I almost always made missions at night.

But since 2.5, night ops in general for all plans has been something to avoid. But that hits the AV-8B N/A harder than others as it's a Night Attack module. And it's something that really grinds my gears, but it's a DCS issue. I reported this issue to ED at what seems like a LONG time ago, and they said they were working towards a fix.

But now seeing Wags post that it is high priority, it gives me that warm fuzzy feeling inside again.

Once the HMD for the Hornet is complete, I hope they tackle this right after.