OV-10 Bronco in latest Razbam video?

yngvef

I just want to say that the OV-10 Bronco is armed with 4 M-60 Machine guns.

These guns are basically worthless against any ground vehicle in DCS. I am sure that they are also ineffective against the Russian flying tanks: Mi-8 and Mi-24

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

These guns are basically worthless against any ground vehicle in DCS. I am sure that they are also ineffective against the Russian flying tanks: Mi-8 and Mi-24

I wouldn't call them worthless. They can kill infantry and trucks quite handily. Think about it, the M-60C firing the 7.62mm/51 round has a rate of fire (according to my quick search) of 500-650 rounds per minute. The Bronco was equipped with four which would put the rate of fire between 2000-2600 rounds per minute. A comparable weapon would be the M-134 Minigun. It fires the same 7.62/51 round at about twice (or three times) the rate of fire. You are not going to kill a T-80U or any other heavily armored beast but I'm willing to bet it would take down an Mi-8. It could also mount a SUU-11 Minigun pod as well to add to the 7.62/51 weight of fire. That is all in game though. For any larger, more heavily protected targets, the OV-10 has the capability to mount a Mark 4 20mm gun pod, Zuni Rockets, 2.75 in rockets and various iron bombs and CBU's.

The OV-10 was originally built to be a light attack/Counter Insurgency aircraft... which oddly enough, the Navy was the only branch of the US armed forces to use it as such with the Air Farce and Marines instead using them primarily for FAC and ANGLICO support in Vietnam.

Recommended reading for Bronco fans-

https://www.amazon.com/Flying-Black-Ponies-Support-Squadron/dp/159114468X

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

You also get rockets, bombs, missiles and gunpods, so that's not a major problem. Or you could do a D bronco and we can swap the MGs for a 20mm cannon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I'm not going to get hyped though, a leaked model in the background of a video only says someone whipped up and 3d model and probably stuck a generic flight model to it. If you think this means a bronco is confirmed you're setting yourself up for disappointment...

Nice try, i wont bite...

Haha, honestly I wasn't trying to bait you. A Bronco would be cool but you guys already have a full plate and I'm incredibly hyped for everything but the F-15 (no offense just not as interested in it). Looking forward to it all.

Edit: I just don't want to see the pitchforks sharpened if you guys shelve it.

You're right Vitor.

Hellfire wasn't even around when the original OV-10As were flying, but the Marine Corps OV-10As modified under the NOGS night observation gunship program into YOV-10Ds appeared to have been modified to carry both a 20mm XM197 turret cannon pulled off a Cobra and conducted captive-carry testing of Hellfires.

Unfortunately, the NOS OV-10Ds that resulted from the modifications may not have retained all the capabilities of the NOGS YOV-10Ds. I don't think the turreted 20mm cannon or Hellfire ever saw operational service due to funding limitations, although they could still carry 20mm gunpods.

I'm also not sure if the OV-10D+s flown in Desert Storm ever received the capability to fire Hellfires, but I've read reports that the OV-10G+s modified from the OV-10D+s can (as well as APKWS).

Nice one of my Favourite Aircraft please do it....cry.gif

Looking forward to that day I Hunt Victor Charlie over the Ho Chi Minh Trail and Mark Targets for Phantoms...

Once you have tasted Flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your Eyes turned Skyward.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9./JG27

• 2 weeks later...

If memory serves me correctly, Tim Taylor of Metal2Mesh modeled the Aerosoft Bronco for them. Tim is a good friend and partner with Ron and Larry, so it makes sense that they have a version of this flying in their personal copy of DCS. What I would give to spend one day on Ron or Larry’s computer flying DCS! T-2’s, A-7’s, OV-10’s, Scooters, and many more I’m sure!