Is TGP broken?

tom_vn

Suddenly I cannot track a target anymore with my TGP , I switched between point and area mode, zoom in and out but no hope. Could someone tell me what was wrong? I have tried to repair my installation (steam integrity check) and for a very brief moment, I can track that APC and never again.

${1}

Hi Tom,

There are much more qualified people here on the A10C than me, but a couple quick questions...

-Super obvious, but you are using a TMS short up (or forward) to try to initiate the track, correct?

-Your reticle is showing the INR-P annunciation, which to my understanding means that the pod is reaching the limits of its travel/is nearly masked/ect, and is attempting to track by ded reckoning rather than visually. This is backed up by your situational awareness cue, the little dot that shows your TGP is looking back well to your low 4:30 or so. What happens if you try to track a target out in front of you?

Multiplayer as Variable

Asus Z97-A - I7 4790K - 32 GB HyperX - EVGA GTX 1080 Ti - Corsair 750i PSU

TM Warthog HOTAS - TM Cougar MFDs - CH Pedals - TrackIR 5 - Samsung RU8000 55”

Nothing wrong with DCS or your TGP.

It was simply unable to continue in Point Track mode due to masking and reverted to Inertial Point (INR-P). I believe the "M" indication next to the solid "L" also points to masking (though more specifically, the manual says this indicates that the laser is masked and could not fire).

Be aware that the TGP consists of several sensors. While the optical (CCD) sensor might see the target just fine, it's still possible that other TGP sensors can't see it due to masking, which is what happened in this case.

In order to track targets, it's usually advisable to orbit around them in order to allow the TGP unlimited coverage, but this certainly also depends on the tactical situation, assigned airspace and so on.

In any case, you were flying away from the target with the TGP looking towards your 5 o'clock position, so the TGP was probably masking itself. After a 90° right hand turn in that situation and with the right wing not too far down, the TGP most probably would have Point-Tracked just fine (assuming the TGP was loaded on station 10).

Be aware that the TGP consists of several sensors. While the optical (CCD) sensor might see the target just fine, it's still possible that other TGP sensors can't see it due to masking, which is what happened in this case.

The laser is powerful enough to cause eye damage to the pilot. So;

The aircraft pod control computer contains two tables known as masking curves. These masking curves provide the computer with information on the regions masked by the aircraft fuselage and all possible store configurations. The purpose of the masking curves is to inhibit the laser from operating in these regions. Therefore, laser operation will be terminated anytime the TGP LOS enters the masking curve region whether stores are physically present or not.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Suddenly I cannot track a target anymore with my TGP , I switched between point and area mode, zoom in and out but no hope. Could someone tell me what was wrong? I have tried to repair my installation (steam integrity check) and for a very brief moment, I can track that APC and never again.

I use the pod without issue. I don't think is has anything to do with you installation. How often does it happen? Can you duplicate it? How do you duplicate the fault? It could be related to the flag/message on the CMFD.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Hi Tom,

There are much more qualified people here on the A10C than me, but a couple quick questions...

-Super obvious, but you are using a TMS short up (or forward) to try to initiate the track, correct?

-Your reticle is showing the INR-P annunciation, which to my understanding means that the pod is reaching the limits of its travel/is nearly masked/ect, and is attempting to track by ded reckoning rather than visually. This is backed up by your situational awareness cue, the little dot that shows your TGP is looking back well to your low 4:30 or so. What happens if you try to track a target out in front of you?

- Yes use TMS up short to change between Area and Point, just an attempt to refresh it up, because Point track is not work at first

- I don't know why but 99% of the time I got that INR even when I come directly to the target which is in the middle of empty field. I remember that i tried to come head on to the target but anyway i will try again tomorrow.

Thank you for your response

Nothing wrong with DCS or your TGP.

It was simply unable to continue in Point Track mode due to masking and reverted to Inertial Point (INR-P). I believe the "M" indication next to the solid "L" also points to masking (though more specifically, the manual says this indicates that the laser is masked and could not fire).

In order to track targets, it's usually advisable to orbit around them in order to allow the TGP unlimited coverage, but this certainly also depends on the tactical situation, assigned airspace and so on.

In any case, you were flying away from the target with the TGP looking towards your 5 o'clock position, so the TGP was probably masking itself. After a 90° right hand turn in that situation and with the right wing not too far down, the TGP most probably would have Point-Tracked just fine (assuming the TGP was loaded on station 10).

Thanks alot for your response. I will try again tomorrow your recommendation.