Modular Panel WIP

Blue73

Hey Blue,

fantastic work, I'm following this thread for several weeks trying to understand all you did.:smartass:

Since I try to start the 3d printing also, I'm interested in the way how you "connect" your boxes with each other and especially to the warthog - Maybe you already posted some pictures and I did not see them yet.

Is it some kind of "T"-Shape rail?

BR,

kreisch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Blue73

Would you be willing to share the stl for your toggle switch drill jig?

I have a couple projects that would really come in handy for.

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

• 2 months later...
@Blue73

What is a good size capacity size for a 3d printer to be able to handle a cockpit build do you believe? I'm looking into a 3d printer but I'm afraid of buying something that isn't capable enough. Would something with a 220x220x300mm be sufficient?

Thanks in advance

Hi, My printer is 200x200x200, everything can be printed in components then glued or screwed together.

cheers

John

This week I've add text to the AC control panel and some pics of other modules I hadn't uploaded yet. It's a but dusty, needs a good clean.

Kr1wHz2.jpg

I'll show pics of the LED internals and in operation later.

t7kw8vo.jpg

mvuTxHl.jpg

cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks foggymind :thumbup:

Yes that is correct some are unused,

My original bus was, +12, +5, A, B, Gnd, Reset. +12 is used for the cockpit fans.

But for the front cockpit I increased the bus to 10 lanes with extra GND and +5V lines interleaved between A and B. I also dropped the reset line, I've never had to use it. The original only allowed me to run 5-6 modules per bus. The new one has allowed me 12 and-counting without issue.

cheers

John

Your work is a true inspiration, just one question. You are using 6 pins on the d-sub connections, I can only account for 4 (5v,GND,Data A,Data B) what are the other 2 used for?

Am I right in thinking that the HUD would be at best only partly functional? I thought about something similar for my build, but the complications of parallax, and the fact that the HUD sighting would have to be matched perfectly with the on-screen made me realise that it was way beyond my meagre skills to attempt. The best I would have hoped for is maybe projecting some basic speed and altitude data

Nice build, just in case someone hasn't said so before :smilewink:

Cheers

Les

Hi Les, Yes it wouldn't be practical, the best would be to butt the main monitor right to where my backbone structure currently is then mount the modules using much thinner material. That would reduce parallax issues. Also couldn't install a small LCD for HUD display as you'd need to "lens" it to infinity somehow. Aesthetically if looks more complete with HUD and soon hood even though I play in VR.

:thumbup:

cheers

John

Am I right in thinking that the HUD would be at best only partly functional? I thought about something similar for my build, but the complications of parallax, and the fact that the HUD sighting would have to be matched perfectly with the on-screen made me realise that it was way beyond my meagre skills to attempt. The best I would have hoped for is maybe projecting some basic speed and altitude data

Nice build, just in case someone hasn't said so before :smilewink:

Cheers

Les