Aiming Problems with AKAN 30

Crash *

Hi.

I am learning the Viggen at the moment and it is a lot of fun to fly her.

But i am not able to hit anything with the AKAN 30. Mostly i am aiming way to high. Is it a bug or i´m missing something. sad.gif

The Altimeter is set. Attack and ANF is choosen. The attack angle is stable.

But i always miss the target. I am doing wrong or is it a bug?

Can someone confirm or help me, please? helpsmilie.gif

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

I've just tried it (on Openbeta 2.5.2) and seems to be working correctly:

MhkcGuCUI9E

I'm not a native english speaker, so I didnt embarrass myself recording commentary :) but the procedure that I follow is:

- The target is at Waypoint B2, so I convert it into a Targetpoint M2

- Arm selector to ATTACK

- Mode (fAllSATT on right console) should be at NORM

- As the target is static, I disable the autotracking with TAKT 221

- Check the QFE and correct the altimeter

- Master mode on ANF, the gun HUD appears

- When near the target, trigger to UNSAFE (the position circle disapears)

- When the -- appears on the sides of the aiming point, press the trigger.

Cheers.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

What rudel said is correct.

I would just like to add that there is no need to set the QFE when using the gunpod in ANF

as it uses radar ranging

(Gun Pods,Rockets and Divebombing when set to ANF uses Radar ranging so does not need QFE to be set)

And also there is no need to turn of autotracking as its off by default.

But most importantly Crash is that the gunsight is only accurate when the fire cue appears (the wings appear) at that point press the trigger

(within 0.5 sec for the best accuracy) and fire a 1 second burst

(after 1 sec the firing solution will start to become incorrect).

What you can also do with the guns if you want the rounds to hit a larger area is to pitch up and down slightly as you fire doing this you can also fire a longer burst (2-3 sec if you want to spray a larger area) and it should cover the target area in rounds.

This is especially usefull when attacking packed targets etc.

Overall the Guns are accurate enough as long as you fire on the fire cue.

(Sometimes they can be too accurate as the locations of the guns can be a problem since even if you aim perfectly at smaller targets the rounds can sometimes hit either side of the targets just due to the seperation between the gunpods)

But all in all the gunpods are very usefull against unarmored targets.

Edited by mattebubben

Near_Missing.png.f00f9a7cc8f4ab4f1ab2878c546201cb.png

The result is allways the same. All this Truck-cowards duck away and i hit nothing.

Next i will try spraying a bit like mattebubben said.

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Give_up.thumb.png.4659f1347ebee51244ce6def021cbdd5.png

I give up. I´ll call an A-10 to do the job. :(

Those ****ing trucks are out of pure iron and can not be defeated.

Edited by Crash

I would just like to add that there is no need to set the QFE when using the gunpod in ANFas it uses radar ranging

Correct, however having the correct QFE allows the AJS Computer to display the target location ring over the target which helps to locate the target .. if you have the wrong QFE the ring will be on a wrong location.

And also there is no need to turn of autotracking as its off by default.

That's a recent change, introduced on the Viggen after I learned the procedure, so my muscle memory still inputs that when designating the targetpoint :)

But most importantly Crash is that the gunsight is only accurate when the fire cue appears (the wings appear) at that point press the trigger

Yes, that's the single most important tip for having accurate gunnery.

[ATTACH]193505[/ATTACH]

The result is allways the same. All this Truck-cowards duck away and i hit nothing.

Next i will try spraying a bit like mattebubben said.

:) .. also, when targets are in a row, try to steer the plane in-line with the targets, so you can fire when the targeting point reaches the nearest truck and keep the trigger pressed as it goes along the row of remaining trucks.

... and of course, practicing helps a lot ..

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

I give up....

Those ****ing trucks are out of pure iron and can not be defeated.

Actually, you might have encountered a Viggen bug ... the truth is I've only ever used the Viggen's Gun on shooting competitions, never actually in combat missions ... so I hadn't really experienced what is their hitting power.

I've just made a practice mission, and I do hit the trucks, but they dont die :(

bdG11TN.jpg

On real combat missions I have always prefered to carry the Rockets rather than the gunpods :)

I think there might be a bug with the ammo.

They used to work fine against light armor but now they seem to do no dmg against light armor and only work against unarmored targets.

(The trucks you guys are attacking are the armored ones thus you do no dmg).

I think this is a new bug since i remember killing apcs just a few days ago with the gunpods but when i tried it again today i did no dmg.

Was only able to kill unarmored targets.

Rudel! Mattebubben!

You guys saved my day. Reputation System is no longer in use. But you guys really deserve it.

Thank you very much for your help. :thumbup:

I will report the Ammo Issue to Heatblur in the BUG Report.

Ok i just did some more testing against a wider group of targets.

And it seems some of the light armor such as BMP-1 are completly immune to the 30mm fire.

But i am able to kill BTR-80s as well as the armored trucks if i get repeated direct hits.

So it seems that the Ammo is not the issue (not 100% atleast though i think they should probably be able to kill the BMP-1 also)

So it seems its more a problem of getting repeated hits on target.

949154823_DigitalCombatSimulatorBlackSharkScreenshot2018_09.06-09_29_01_04.thumb.png.7673ed1d792ecb4193c32e6717027527.png

Edited by mattebubben

I wonder if the bullets should converge or not. Totally would make sense if they did, especially since the firing solution basically is given for a certain distance. It's just awful to see the bullets impact left and right of my target...

Gun convergence needs to be a thing and I highly doubt the real thing doesn't have it.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I don’t recall reading anything about any convergence with the guns in the documentation. JediTeo might enlighten us otherwise. Remember the firing distance is dynamic and can vary a lot depending on dive angle and speed, so it might be difficult to find an ideal convergence distance.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

• 1 month later...

@Crash

Remember that the Viggen's computer normally runs a lead correction programme for the AKAN pods.

The moment you press the safety switch, the computer assumes your retintle is aimed on a moving target, and includes the measured target's movement in your firecontroll solution.

If you are firing at stationary targets, or the retintle moves off the target during this calculation, it can result to inaccuracies.

If you're firing at stationary targets, I reccomend that you disable the lead computing programme by entering code "221" in the TAKT setting, and confirming by pressing the LS/SKU button.

"221" for aderess "22" and "1" for off. ("0" for on)

Furthermore, the Viggen is an old plane, so she requires a bit of patience. Keep that in mind. c:

@Crash

Remember that the Viggen's computer normally runs a lead correction programme for the AKAN pods.

The moment you press the safety switch, the computer assumes your retintle is aimed on a moving target, and includes the measured target's movement in your firecontroll solution.

If you are firing at stationary targets, or the retintle moves off the target during this calculation, it can result to inaccuracies.

If you're firing at stationary targets, I reccomend that you disable the lead computing programme by entering code "221" in the TAKT setting, and confirming by pressing the LS/SKU button.

"221" for aderess "22" and "1" for off. ("0" for on)

Furthermore, the Viggen is an old plane, so she requires a bit of patience. Keep that in mind. c:

AJS37 in DCS has 221 as default.

What rudel said is correct.

I would just like to add that there is no need to set the QFE when using the gunpod in ANF

as it uses radar ranging

(Gun Pods,Rockets and Divebombing when set to ANF uses Radar ranging so does not need QFE to be set)

You need to set QFE correctly if you want to see the target indicator circle in the correct spot before setting trigger to unsafe in the ANF mode.

• 2 months later...

Aiming Problems with AKAN 30

Do you pull the trigger immediately when the wings show? The trigger is supposed to be pulled 0.5 seconds after the wings show, not later (nor earlier). When firing AKAN you should also hold the trigger for 1 second.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Do you pull the trigger immediately when the wings show? The trigger is supposed to be pulled 0.5 seconds after the wings show, not later (nor earlier). When firing AKAN you should also hold the trigger for 1 second.

I've tried it a varying times during the firing sequence. It always hits above the target.