[ALREADY REPORTED]TACAN not working sometimes, multiplayer

memoric

Hello

I'm playing mostly on an trought the inferno server, there is TACAN for the public aircraft carrier, 17x. Today i wanted to go back to the ship to refuel and rearming, so I set the TACAN but it didn't work. I checked, it was on, the correct TACAN code was entered, Transmitt and Receive and Xray selected. The heading mark just circled around the circle. It didn't work even when I was near the carrier

Somebody knows this problem?

Thanks

regards

I did not fly dcs since the last 2 hotfixes..

But typical when the TCN needle just spin arround and do not find anything, then the problem is wrong TCN channel OR you are very far away, or flying low inbetween mountains.

it could be that the person who made the mission maybe have updated it and changed the tacan channel OR setup the carrier wrong and forgot to go into advanced waypoint and connect the tacan channel to the carrier ( name ) .

Typical people use 1X or 11X or 55X for the carrier.

Becourse it say example 55x in the briefing does not make it right, it could be the person who made the mission did not update the text.

Also remember to check that you did not press the button A/A.

You wont like my advice... But maybe try 1-55X channel and see if the channel have changed.

PS.. it sometimes happen in multiplayer that someone cant find the tacan channel.. often user is the issue, but a restart of the mission might also help.

If the mission designer forgot to activate the TACAN in the mission also ICLS or forgot the COM then you can do nothing.

Or he implements a trigger to turn it off, after spec. time or distance?

Regards

Tango Lima/Scorpion

Edited by Thomas Loeffelmann

Had the same issue yesterday in MP, I was behind the carrier (less than 10nm), TCN and IlS were both setup and working, then all of sudden both went off.

Bx1SSW1.jpg

Edited by Speedywrx

i7-7700k OC'd to 5.0 GHz, ASUS 1080ti OC, 32 GB 3200 MHz G.Skill, Samsung 960 pro M.2, Thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek pedals, Valve Index HMD

Yep there seems to be an akward bug once in a while on multi-player i could never point out, though people says it'S you'Re far, you'Re this and that, i did a few test a few patches ago and latest patches also when it happened, and mostly has nothing to do from being far from it, as i simply loged out the server, open the Multi-Player track i was on in the Mission Editor and saved it as .miz, i then loaded on the deck, exactly where i was in the server, and the Tacan Worked, so basicly if it's bug it might had something to do with distance, but maybe something processing wrogn that the tacan folows the ship, but the original emitting source stays where the ship started in the mission, so after a few hours of server running at one point the tacan breaks as it's too far from where it started, dunno. But the few times it happenned to me on a server, i simply made the same test, and had no issues when loading it on my side.

Same with the Hornet's exterior sounds, for some reason, on multi-player, when looking it side ways in F2 view, it has a properler sound, like the C-130, but watch it on single player, and normal sound. Go figure.

If the mission designer forgot to activate the TACAN in the mission also ICLS or forgot the COM then you can do nothing.

Or he implements a trigger to turn it off, after spec. time or distance?

Regards

Tango Lima/Scorpion

As many of us said, it happens in and out on the same servers, so same misison runiing and resetting each days, sometimes it works sometiems it's broken, so basicly has nothing to do with the Mission Editing, as if it was it would always be broken, not in and out, and no reasons why sometimes you'Re ont he deck it works, sometimes it doesn'T as it wouldn't make sens, it should always work on not when standing on the same spot, either at it should work airborn or not, only difference as i said on my previous post is, the travelling the carrier might have done, but again i dunno, but it's a bit more complicated than a ME option.

-2018-sep-5-001.jpg

That why I use in my mission a second trigger point to prevent this problem as you descript.

-2018-sep-5-002.jpg

Have you a later second trigger point?

Or only one?

Or might few pilots did some crash landing and the Carrier quit the service if it simulated?

Regards

Tango Lima/Scorpion

Edited by Thomas Loeffelmann

TACAN reception going on and off during multiplayer sessions is a bug well known and experienced daily by players for many months now.

I'm surprised the issue surfaces here on the forums again - ain't there no previous threads reporting the issue in other subforums since ages?

I dunno if this bug was reported I've had it 4-5 times only in as many months and it's impossible to reproduce other than time. Is there actually a bug report?

Basically after a while TACAN ceases in the mission (MP only tersting) No errors, nothing in feedback. I do recall sometimes you could get some strange sound artifacts if you had TACAN volume up, like the sound loop was messed up too, but its all memory, not a useful bug report.

Without ttacan it's back to waypoint zero and search it's last heading! You can ask the carrier on 127.500 or whatever it was set to in the mission for navigation assistance. I have had that break too.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I dunno if this bug was reported I've had it 4-5 times only in as many months and it's impossible to reproduce other than time. Is there actually a bug report?

Basically after a while TACAN ceases in the mission (MP only tersting) No errors, nothing in feedback. I do recall sometimes you could get some strange sound artifacts if you had TACAN volume up, like the sound loop was messed up too, but its all memory, not a useful bug report.

Without ttacan it's back to waypoint zero and search it's last heading! You can ask the carrier on 127.500 or whatever it was set to in the mission for navigation assistance. I have had that break too.

I've heard that TACAN can "break" after the carrier passes through a waypoint...

I had a somewhat different problem.

The TACAN appears to work except for there is no longer a triangle indicator on the outside ring of the HSI after a few patches ago. That was a useful tool to know when to start your base leg turn. Hope they fix it.

Topgun505

Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel Core i7-8700k, Evga GTX 1080 FTW, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, Alienware 34" 2K LED, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Rudder, Thrustmaster MFDs x3, Razer Nostromo n52.

• 2 years later...

TACAN for multiplayer has been broken for ages. It works fine for a while, but then it breaks and becomes completely unreliable, so much that I don't land in the carrier usually as TACAN is a much needed part of a carrier landing.

Yep there seems to be an akward bug once in a while on multi-player i could never point out, though people says it'S you'Re far, you'Re this and that, i did a few test a few patches ago and latest patches also when it happened, and mostly has nothing to do from being far from it, as i simply loged out the server, open the Multi-Player track i was on in the Mission Editor and saved it as .miz, i then loaded on the deck, exactly where i was in the server, and the Tacan Worked, so basicly if it's bug it might had something to do with distance, but maybe something processing wrogn that the tacan folows the ship, but the original emitting source stays where the ship started in the mission, so after a few hours of server running at one point the tacan breaks as it's too far from where it started, dunno. But the few times it happenned to me on a server, i simply made the same test, and had no issues when loading it on my side.

Same with the Hornet's exterior sounds, for some reason, on multi-player, when looking it side ways in F2 view, it has a properler sound, like the C-130, but watch it on single player, and normal sound. Go figure.

Yeah the thing is that it breaks after a while and even ED hasn't been able to locate and fix the bug so reasons are unknown. Some people may have never experienced it because they could have been lucky, or the server they play doesn't trigger the bug. Anyway, I contacted Bignewy through Discord for this and the told me they were working on it and the last finding was that assignning a custom name for the TACAN in the mission editor may fixt it.

Finally, it is not because the distance or altitude, I like to tune in the TACAN before take off from the Carrier and even being in the deck the TACAN station cannot be tunned.

i7 12700KF | MSI Z690 A-PRO | Corsair Vengeance 2x16 gb @ 3200 Mhz | RTX 3070 Ti FE | Acer XB271HU 1440P 144HZ | Virpil T-50 CM throttle | Virpil WarBRD Base + MongoosT-50 CM2 Grip | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR 5 | HP Reverb G2

Bf 109 K-4 | Fw 190 A-8 | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | P-51D | Fw 190 D-9 | P-47D | Mosquito FB VI | F/A 18C | F-14 A/B | F-16C | MiG-15bis | MiG-21bis | M-2000C | A-10C | AJS-37 Viggen | UH-1H | Ka-50 | Mi-24P | C-101 | Flaming Cliffs 3

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Normandy | The Channel | Syria

• ED Team

This is, as mentioned related to the long standing issue with TACAN, some have suggested giving the TACAN a unique name helps in the editor, theory yet to be proven but worth a try.

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

My opinion is that the simple solution is to have the server reboot itself every 6 or so hours.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.