Heatblur A-6 Intruder

On 2/8/2021 at 2:26 PM, Fri13 said:

Problem for that is that in DCS there doesn't exist any system to transfer, manipulate and use the intelligence.

We need recon pods, so we can record video or take photos.

We need a automatic system where, let's say for game same a 15 min later we get images available that has any unit ID in them, be it a building or a vehicle.

We need ground recon teams, that will try to find enemy positions, report it back. Giving just the map coordinates and few reported units in general areas.

We need players capable after successful landing, to open a intelligence map and place manually few symbols on the map. It is up to their memory to remember where they saw them. And this is only possible for, let say 1-2 km from their previous flight path. So they can't add someone someone else reported, or just throw randomness everywhere, or add something from a previous flight where they died or ejected.

DCS needs intelligence mapping. Lots of moving troops and units, lots of false intelligence, old intelligence, lack of intelligence.

And we need to be able plan missions based to all that. Be greeted with a mission planning room, big map on the table, have a others planned missions visible, have a AI to generate missions automatically (like fly to there and destroy a bridge, or fly there and bomb a radar station) that you can just accept or modify as starting point.

This is corner stone for the dynamic campaign. A dynamic intelligence, with intelligence system and mission generation based only to intelligence.  Nothing would be done without some sort of intelligence where enemy is, their strength and type.

The A-6 is a bomb truck with great capability attack in zero visibility. And that means the flight is mainly just the waypoint to Waypoint flying, and being at the points in proper time etc.

But take away the intelligence part, and A-6 loses main benefits really.

^ THIS

One of the best posts I've read on the DCS forums in ages. Really nailed it.

Reconnaissance/Intelligence is a critical area of warfare from throughout the ages and no less so in the era of aviation. Being able to transfer, manipulate and use the intelligence is vital. Recon pods, cameras, etc. would add so much to a lot of aircraft in DCS and rapidly and realistically expand the depth and richness of the DCS ecosystem.

The ability to find, solve and convey a complex and dynamic reconnaissance puzzle makes the scenarios come alive. It is utterly vital to a convincing dynamic campaign. And something that would add significant richness to any A-6 Intruder implementation.

In the long term, you can have a Viggen beginning the picture with ELINT pod, the A6 doing the Radar-Scanning for surface mapping or poor-weather reconnaissance, and the onde day we will get the F14 to do TARPS.
Maybe if there was a way to copy the results to the kneeboard as per the Viggen, and then for multiplayer purposes, pass the photo to a file and allow your virtual squadron to read the “take” from the shots presented. BDA, reconnaissance etc is doable as long as there’s a means to easily grab and share the pictures/slides taken. Think like the video export facility for the F14’s LANTIRN pod (which someone could use as a “poor mans TARPS”.
Also, one aspect of the A6 role is the mining/naval strike role. Will be able to drop sea mines from the intruder? If so, that would add a very interesting new mission type.
I’ve heard of it done around Iraqi ports during GW1, so it’s not as if there’s no precedent for the mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nealius said:

I hope the tanker variant becomes flyable. I'd love circling the boat to tank up guys online. 

I had commented before that I have seen several comments over the years from people that they would be more interested in DCS if there were some sort of support aircraft.

But of course there always has to be that one guy chiming in that it would be a niche aircraft because he can't phantom too many people having an interest in such a thing.

Besides a KA-6 is not a major difference in terms of the general systems such as the engines.

KA-6_F-14_DN-ST-87-10386.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/8/2021 at 6:26 AM, Fri13 said:

Problem for that is that in DCS there doesn't exist any system to transfer, manipulate and use the intelligence.

We need recon pods, so we can record video or take photos.

We need a automatic system where, let's say for game same a 15 min later we get images available that has any unit ID in them, be it a building or a vehicle.

We need ground recon teams, that will try to find enemy positions, report it back. Giving just the map coordinates and few reported units in general areas.

We need players capable after successful landing, to open a intelligence map and place manually few symbols on the map. It is up to their memory to remember where they saw them. And this is only possible for, let say 1-2 km from their previous flight path. So they can't add someone someone else reported, or just throw randomness everywhere, or add something from a previous flight where they died or ejected.

DCS needs intelligence mapping. Lots of moving troops and units, lots of false intelligence, old intelligence, lack of intelligence.

And we need to be able plan missions based to all that. Be greeted with a mission planning room, big map on the table, have a others planned missions visible, have a AI to generate missions automatically (like fly to there and destroy a bridge, or fly there and bomb a radar station) that you can just accept or modify as starting point.

This is corner stone for the dynamic campaign. A dynamic intelligence, with intelligence system and mission generation based only to intelligence.  Nothing would be done without some sort of intelligence where enemy is, their strength and type.

The A-6 is a bomb truck with great capability attack in zero visibility. And that means the flight is mainly just the waypoint to Waypoint flying, and being at the points in proper time etc.

But take away the intelligence part, and A-6 loses main benefits really.

I usually disagree with your takes, but... this is absolutely nail. On. The. Head. DCS badly needs that if it's going to go down the dynamic campaign route. The advantages airframes like the A-6 and Viggen afford by optimizing via previous intel would absolutely stand out in a dynamic campaign. Having the ability to gather that via player-operated recon flight would add tremendously to the experience.

5 hours ago, Evoman said:

I had commented before that I have seen several comments over the years from people that they would be more interested in DCS if there were some sort of support aircraft.

But of course there always has to be that one guy chiming in that it would be a niche aircraft because he can't phantom too many people having an interest in such a thing.

Besides a KA-6 is not a major difference in terms of the general systems such as the engines.

KA-6_F-14_DN-ST-87-10386.jpg

I'm also inclined to agree. The key is to find a developer willing to take that step to develop such non-combat aircraft. Having it as a bonus tacked onto an existing module ala F-14B and F-14A-135-GR would be the least risky method to go about it. I see it as a relatively low risk gesture that could produce interesting results.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

20 hours ago, Nealius said:

I hope the tanker variant becomes flyable. I'd love circling the boat to tank up guys online. 

Think more.... You to fly meet the group to get them some extra fuel so they can get back to carrier some 300 nmi from a coast.

• Like 1

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

On 2/8/2021 at 10:11 PM, RaisedByWolves said:

Did anyone else notice at 4:36 in the most recent DCS video showing the new clouds and A-6.............. the names on the Intruder?  Thanks HB

Well I did now!  Love those books, enjoyed the movie.  When flying Navy with by buddy (either in Hornets or as his RIO in the Cat) we always refer to Grafton as our CAG.

Edited by Spurts

For all you fans of the "IRON TADPOLE" .....😁

Modelled and UV'd  in Wings 3d.

Textures created in Paintshop Pro

Rendered in Lumion 7.5.

Has any one else spotted the fact the Aircraft Id. flown by Grafton and Cole in the Movie was "Devil 505" and not "506" as depicted in the screen shots and trailer?

Falcons_Feet_Dry.jpg

Enjoy

Sig_002.jpg

“In 1940 I could at least fly as far as Glasgow in most of my aircraft, but not now! It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminium better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set – then at least I'll own something that has always worked.”

- Commander in Chief Reichsmarschall Hermann Göring -

For all you fans of the "IRON TADPOLE" .....
Modelled and UV'd  in Wings 3d.
Textures created in Paintshop Pro
Rendered in Lumion 7.5.

Has any one else spotted the fact the Aircraft Id. flown by Grafton and Cole in the Movie was "Devil 505" and not "506" as depicted in the screen shots and trailer?

Falcons_Feet_Dry.thumb.jpg.27f246ae667bb5ea0bca15d83e59faf7.jpg
Enjoy

Great picture!
And yes, I was expecting a modex of 505 but to be honest it doesn’t much matter - it’s still an awesome bird!

• Like 1

A flyable A-6 with the ability to be the Bombardier also with other players just like the F14 will be a lot of fun.  

• Like 1

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

11 hours ago, ghostdog688 said:

What I like about that video above is the demonstration of the ground avoidance system. Drawing the radar returns on the VDI like that for something from the 60s... impressive!

A-6E uses 70s Solid state computers, little in common with the analog computer of the A-6A

A-6E TRAM then improves on that computer and radar system with 80s tech

its radar for example would then also be able to track moving ground targets like trucks or cars moving as slow as 4mph (6km/h) thanks to the AMTI mode

The drum thingy is a rotary drum filled with the memory for DIANE’s software, the insides are made of core-rope technology; the same stuff the Apollo Computer was used, and something that at the time Grumman was quite familiar with. It would spin so that the head could access it, in much the same way a hard drive spins; but obviously at a bigger scale!

Giving the drum a little “percussive maintenance “ would work if the reason the system had halted was down to the drum itself no longer spinning - maybe it got stuck or caught up on something. I’m pretty sure it would make the B/N feel better too!

• Like 1

Just to smell the A-6 before it gets to DCS:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/27604/confessions-of-an-a-6-intruder-pilot

Lots of interesting insights  including the transition to the Tomcat or 2 Intruder guys fell asleep on a mission. This read was mentioned at least once in 2019 somewhere in the forums. It now fits more than ever imho.

I wasn't too much into the Intruder. But now I am. Can't wait for HB's new beast.

Edited by Tom Kazansky

2 hours ago, TLTeo said:

Yeah I vaguely remember reading somwhere that the way to get DIANE to work properly was, on occasion, to kick a drum thingy in front of the BN's feet.

2 hours ago, ghostdog688 said:

The drum thingy is a rotary drum filled with the memory for DIANE’s software, the insides are made of core-rope technology; the same stuff the Apollo Computer was used, and something that at the time Grumman was quite familiar with. It would spin so that the head could access it, in much the same way a hard drive spins; but obviously at a bigger scale!

Giving the drum a little “percussive maintenance “ would work if the reason the system had halted was down to the drum itself no longer spinning - maybe it got stuck or caught up on something. I’m pretty sure it would make the B/N feel better too!

Drum was only with the A model, E model had digital computers

you had to kick it so that the drum spins again, that drum has the whole computer program / algorythm for action written on it and needs to spin so that the computer knows what step / calculation to do next

the A-6E then finally got solid state electronics, that not only where ALOT more reliable (carrier landings tend to damage the drum) but also faster with more computing power.

26 minutes ago, WolfHound009 said:

did older a-6s like the A have any rudimentary A2A capability?

22 minutes ago, TLTeo said:

At some point they started carrying AIM-9L/M. I'm not sure about the period before the 80s though.

Yes

A-6A was rated to carry AIM-9D

A-6E is rated to carry AIM-9D/G/H/L

A-6E TRAM / SWIP have AIM-9H/L/M

sidewinders can be mounted under all 4 underwing pylons

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WolfHound009 said:

did older a-6s like the A have any rudimentary A2A capability?

Yes.  The A-6A could carry and launch the Sidewinder missile as well as up to four MK-4 gun pods which had an air-to-air capability.   I think the A-6A was cleared for the AIM-9G, not sure about the 'H' model though.

Edited by Blaze1
Sidewinder addition.
  • Like 1

In the old "Flight of the Intruder" sim you could get away with rocket pods for air-to-air.  I used to piss off my real pilot friends by split-essing from 10,000 ft onto the carrier deck.   🙂

Nowadays with AOA actually modelled, no way to get away with that anymore. 

• Like 1

Questions are a burdon, and answers a prison for one's self.