Heatblur A-6 Intruder

Cobra,

I hope your well.  Please consider a Vietnam era A-6 in addition to the newer versions.  This bird cut its teeth in Nam then again in the Gulf.  

By the way, I have been blow away with Tomcats even though I have not been able to give them the attention they deserve (life).  Your team have made the sim so much better for all of us.  Excited to see what HB creates in the future.  Be well.  

K-Roll. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Partners as in Eagle Dynamics develop the platform. 🙂  They're a HUGE part of our success, and so anything that we do, no matter how new or detached, is really in great part thanks to them. 

Just for a confirmation!

Provided that the team is building the A-6 as a module.  Is it JUST the A-6E or do you plane to add other versions of it as full playable modules? I am guessing that it would be just A-6E as playable module being planned and that the KA-6 would be an AI asset rather than module.

It is way too early to talk about versions, variants, etc... So, whether there will be a playable KA-6, or not, we could not even say yet. Do we want it? Hell yeah! Does that necessarily mean that we'll be able to make it? Unfortunately no. A lot needs to be weighed, researched, checked, checked again and then checked one more time, etc... before prudent decisions can be made. All we can promise for now is that we will keep you involved as usual - and also here please expect that in the beginnig updates will be more rare and slim and will get more frequent and juicier as time progresses along. And while of course we have a plan, it needs to prove itself first, before we can roll out some definitive answers.

For now, it is really important to manage expectations. It would be very unwise from our side to either say yes or no to this or that at this point, for various reasons. But as you know us, we'll try to get the most out of it, as we always do. The Heatblur way. 🙂

PS: That doesn't mean to hold back on your dreams. We'll listen closely, and see how many we can realize.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

13 hours ago, IronMike said:

I'll repeat it, so it comes "from our mouths" here as well, and there is no doubt:

Stay tuned for the A-6E and KA-6 being added to DCS World as AI units in the near future
as part of the development cycle of the F-14! 

We will be developing this aircraft as a fully flyable module together with our partners at Eagle Dynamics, 
as part of an ambitious roadmap for a growing and hungry Heatblur team! Stay tuned for more information as
we forge ahead through 2021.

However: good things take time. Please do not forget that. It is not just around the corner yet, far from it - that just on the side in all fairness, so you can manage your expectations accordingly. 🙂

More love for the Ironworks from Heatblur.

10686831_915717201791068_597419024754712

• Like 1

Can't pretend fly as well as you can.

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

It is way too early to talk about versions, variants, etc... So, whether there will be a playable KA-6, or not, we could not even say yet. Do we want it? Hell yeah! Does that necessarily mean that we'll be able to make it? Unfortunately no. A lot needs to be weighed, researched, checked, checked again and then checked one more time, etc... before prudent decisions can be made. All we can promise for now is that we will keep you involved as usual - and also here please expect that in the beginnig updates will be more rare and slim and will get more frequent and juicier as time progresses along. And while of course we have a plan, it needs to prove itself first, before we can roll out some definitive answers.

For now, it is really important to manage expectations. It would be very unwise from our side to either say yes or no to this or that at this point, for various reasons. But as you know us, we'll try to get the most out of it, as we always do. The Heatblur way. 🙂

PS: That doesn't mean to hold back on your dreams. We'll listen closely, and see how many we can realize.

Hope you guys don't overtax yourselves...

If we had a choice between A-6( whichever of these version you guys/girls get docs on, E/B/C and or A) and the KA-6. Any full combat oriented capable A-6. It certainly is not the tanker. I personally don't know what I'd do with a tanker other than play support on MP...flying circles. 😐

So...ANY one version would be more than enough. Less complications and less workload than having to do with two.:thumbsup:

Good luck on your ventures.

11 hours ago, Cobra847 said:

Hey everyone,

Just crossposting some thoughts from hoggit;

We were super happy to take part in ED's wonderful cloud video today with an early version of the AI A-6's - hope you enjoyed a taste of the WiP artwork. 

Last time we showed off the A-6, we said that we'd love to take it on as an official module and part of our roadmap - and today we've had the absolute pleasure of being able to confirm those plans. We remain very committed to DCS and couldn't be more pleased with being afforded the honour of building more great products on the platform.

Our short term goals are fully focused on wrapping up the F-14 and Viggen- but as we forge ahead, we'll be growing the team and developing the A-6 as part of a broader roadmap. It's still *very* early days and "announcing" the A-6 will probably be one of the earliest announcements we'll ever make, so don't expect anything soon - but hopefully we've at the very least asserted the fact that we're not going anywhere and that we have plans far beyond those that are public. (even after today) 🙂

Thank you for all of your excitement and support. We owe you all everything,

Sincerely,

Team HB

I am impressed with what you have done. 

I am honestly delighted that the A-6 AI is being released and look forward to the day when this aircraft, along with the F-14 and AJS37, will be ready for flight by us. Good luck!!

Phantom Forever

F-4EJ / F-4EJ Kai 1971-2021

Sorry, I don't speak English, so I use DeepL Translate. Well, I can speak Japanese.

11 hours ago, QuiGon said:

Earlier than the Tomcat announcement? In that case I guess we won't get our hands on the A-6 within the next 4 years, probably even more.  :pilotfly:

You must be kidding, I was expecting the thing to drop in 2 weekssoon™ mlp-lfun.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

From a gameplay perspective, what would an A-6E (AI or playable) bring more than a F-14 ? I feel like in terms of payload, F-14 in Bombcat configuration is equivalent to A-6E (except for a few exceptions like SEAD). Can anyone give me some details about the strengh of an A-6E compared to a Bombcat ?

Nevertheless, the A-6E is a gorgeous plane !

2 hours ago, Aigle2 said:

From a gameplay perspective, what would an A-6E (AI or playable) bring more than a F-14 ? I feel like in terms of payload, F-14 in Bombcat configuration is equivalent to A-6E (except for a few exceptions like SEAD). Can anyone give me some details about the strengh of an A-6E compared to a Bombcat ?

F-14 never was us as main ground attack aircraft by the UsNavy (only as interinum option meanwhile the F/A-18E enter on service). A-6E was the main ground attack fleet assets. Has all weather bombing and navigation capability and long range.
They carry 18,000 lb (8,200 kg) total weapon load with:
- Rockets: 
12x LAU-10 4-round 5 inch Zuni pods
12x LAU-68 7-round 2.75 inch FFAR pods
12x LAU-61/LAU-68 19-round 2.75 inch FFAR pods
Missiles:
AGM-45 Shrike anti-radar missile × 2
AGM-78 Standard ARM anti-radar missile × 2
AGM-62 Walleye TV-guided glide bomb
AGM-65 Maverick air-to-ground missile × 6
AGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missile/AGM-84E Standoff Land Attack Missile × 4
AGM-88 HARM anti-radar missile
AGM-123 Skipper air-to-ground missile
AIM-9 Sidewinder air-to-air missile
ADM-141 TALD decoy missiles
Bombs:
28× Mk 82 500 lb (227 kg) GP bombs or Mk 20 Rockeye II cluster bomb
13× Mk 83 1,000 lb (454 kg) GP bombs
5× Mk 84 2,000 lb (907 kg) GP bombs
5x GBU-12/16/10 laser-guided bombs
5x CBU-72 Fuel-Air Explosives
Up to three B43 × 1 /B57/B61 "Special Weapons"
Other:
Mk 60 Captor Mine
Up to 5 300 US gal (250 imp gal; 1,100 L) drop tanks
Various practice stores, chaff launchers, baggage pods, flares

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Correction: only the A-6B carried the STARM as far as I know. By the time the weapon upgrades reached the A-6 fleet, the HARM had long replaced it. Also, the Tomcat most definitely was used for ground attack, it more or less replaced the Intruder in that role after all. But yes, as Silver Dragon pointed out, the A-6E could carry much more varied ordnance than the Tomcat.

But really, what the A-6 brings compared to the Tomcat is the interaction between pilot and BN (bombardier navigator). As the name implies, the BN is responsible for all weather low level navigation (mostly using the radar), locating the target, and steering the pilot onto it. In the same way that a RIO drives an intercept, a BN drives a strike mission. Imagine flying a Viggen with a much better radar, and having someone next to you actually focus on interpreting that radar picture and giving you instructions on how to fly.

Edited by TLTeo

In addition, the radar made the A6 an all-weather bomber. It’s DIANE system allowed you to “see” the terrain on the VDI even in poor vis.
The Tomcat will able to hold its own in good weather daylight bombing; you will be hosed if the weathers awful or it’s at night

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What A-6 does or does not carry depend a lot on the version/update program. From what I could find so far:

- A-6A: Shrikes, bombs, cluster bombs, bomblet dispensers, 2.75 and 5 inch rockets, Sidewinders up to D I think. AGM-12 bullup missiles are an option.

- A-6B: Most ground attack systems removed in favor of SEAD related stuff, Shrike, AGM-78 Standart ARM

- A-6C: Same as A-6A, but the aircraft had a dorsal fairing for a FLIR/LLTV system, for using in night raids. Very few A-6As were upgraded to this config. Not entirely sure, but I think the sensor package was a fixed forward looking installment.

- A-6E: Still mostly the same as A-6A, AGM-12s are no longer listed in the manual though. But avionics changed, and got some new bombing modes I think.

- A-6E TRAM: Proper FLIR/Laser turret under the nose, so the aircraft has its own fixed TGP in a way. Can carry and self lase laser guided bombs now. In the 80s A-6E TRAM was upgraded to enable it using AGM-84 Harpoon and AGM-123 Skipjack, which was also used on the earlier blocks of Hornet. Skipjack is essentially a laser guided bomb with a rocket motor on its back. Also being 80s, AIM-9L and/or M is a thing now.

- A-6E SWIP: Final upgrade with 2 phases in early 90s. Added many guided missiles: AGM-62, AGM-65, AGM-88, and AGM-84E SLAM land attack version of Harpoon. Second phase later added GPS navigation and a HUD.

That's what I could gather from looking at public sources like manuals on avialogs, and articles on airvectors, ol' reliable wikipedia etc :P. But even between just A-6E, there are many weapon set possibilities depending on the upgrade/year.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Feel free to toss the Saratoga in with the A-6, we won't mind at all. 🙂

• Like 1

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

On 2/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, Aigle2 said:

From a gameplay perspective, what would an A-6E (AI or playable) bring more than a F-14 ?

The correct answer is:

You can slap „Cool Hand“ in the face if he didn't get his shit together whilst you can't reach "Jester"

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

7 hours ago, Aigle2 said:

While the Tomcat fulfilled the long range strike mission for a time, it was not the F-14's long suit. The A-6 can carry a wider variety of air to ground weapons, and in most cases more of them. It also has a far greater capability to conduct all weather low level navigation. The fact that the F-14 served as a pinch hitter in the strike mission speaks more to the F-14's versatility than to the obsolescence of the A-6.

VF-111 SUNDOWNERS

VF-111_forum_sig.png

VF-111 Discord

2 hours ago, Skysurfer said:

Or the Ranger. 😉 

I had a cousin retire as COB from the Sara years ago, has a bell. Was looking forward to smashing into it's fantail with the Tomcat. 🙂

• Like 1

"These are NOT 1 to 1 replicas of the real aircraft, there are countless compromises made on each of them" - Senior ED Member

Modules - Damn near all of them (no Christian Eagle or Yak)

System - i7-12700K, 64Gig DDR4 3200 RAM, RTX-3080, 3 32" monitors at 5760 x 1080, default settings of High (minor tweaks)

8 hours ago, Aigle2 said:

The A-6's primary mission was low level penetration and strike in instrument flight conditions (night and/or adverse weather). This was a quite unique and very important capability during its time, which only few other types were also capable of. Initially the Air Force F-111, then also Tornado and Su-24. By the end of the Cold War it became a little more widespread but still highly specialized capability.

The Intruder operated during the day, but crews generally thought it was a wast of their unique capabilities. In Vietnam, the A-6 made low level night strikes but also participated in medium altitude daylight alpha strikes, where the type would attack in large formations together with other aircraft in the carrier air wing. While the A-6 could carry a lot of ordinance, during these alpha strikes it would basically do the same things that other, much cheaper aircraft did. That is why the crews wanted to use the Intruder in low-level night strikes only, where it offered its additional value, justifying its high complexity and cost.

A signature Intruder mission were the strikes on Libya during Eldorado Canyon in 1986, where VA-34 and VA-55 A-6E struck barracks and an airfield covered by SA-2 and SA-3. The Intruders went in at night in a bomber stream (a series of aircraft flying individually in a line), going over the beach at 300 ft and popped up to 500 ft to deliver Snakeyes, retarded Mk-83 and cluster bombs.

During Desert Storm, A-6E conducted 72.5% of their sorties at night and 27.5% during the day.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TLTeo said:

Correction: only the A-6B carried the STARM as far as I know. By the time the weapon upgrades reached the A-6 fleet, the HARM had long replaced it.

A few A-6E jets were fitted with the AN/AWG-21 system to detect and ID threat emitters.  This was done after the retirement of the A-6B and these AWG-21 equipped jets were specifically modified to carry and shoot the AGM-78 STARM.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, WinterH said:

What A-6 does or does not carry depend a lot on the version/update program. From what I could find so far:

- A-6A: Shrikes, bombs, cluster bombs, bomblet dispensers, 2.75 and 5 inch rockets, Sidewinders up to D I think. AGM-12 bullup missiles are an option.

- A-6B: Most ground attack systems removed in favor of SEAD related stuff, Shrike, AGM-78 Standart ARM

- A-6C: Same as A-6A, but the aircraft had a dorsal fairing for a FLIR/LLTV system, for using in night raids. Very few A-6As were upgraded to this config. Not entirely sure, but I think the sensor package was a fixed forward looking installment.

- A-6E: Still mostly the same as A-6A, AGM-12s are no longer listed in the manual though. But avionics changed, and got some new bombing modes I think.

- A-6E TRAM: Proper FLIR/Laser turret under the nose, so the aircraft has its own fixed TGP in a way. Can carry and self lase laser guided bombs now. In the 80s A-6E TRAM was upgraded to enable it using AGM-84 Harpoon and AGM-123 Skipjack, which was also used on the earlier blocks of Hornet. Skipjack is essentially a laser guided bomb with a rocket motor on its back. Also being 80s, AIM-9L and/or M is a thing now.

- A-6E SWIP: Final upgrade with 2 phases in early 90s. Added many guided missiles: AGM-62, AGM-65, AGM-88, and AGM-84E SLAM land attack version of Harpoon. Second phase later added GPS navigation and a HUD.

That's what I could gather from looking at public sources like manuals on avialogs, and articles on airvectors, ol' reliable wikipedia etc :P. But even between just A-6E, there are many weapon set possibilities depending on the upgrade/year.

To expand on the A-6C, it had a large pod called TRIM (Trails/Roads Interdiction Multisensor) attached to its belly.  The pod consisted of:

AN/AAS-28 FLIR

AN/AXD-4 Low Light Level TV System

AN/ASD-4 Direction Finder System

These sensors were mounted in the forward section of the pod called the Optical Sensor Platform (OSP), which was essentially a gyro stabilized turret.  The turret could be slewed +20° and -45° in elevation and ±30° in azimuth.  The TRIM system was designed to interdict supply routes such as the Ho Chi Minh Trail, but it didn't enjoy much success.

The A-6E SWIP upgrade also included the AN/ALR-67(V), but there was no second phase.  Although an A-6E was tested with a HUD, this upgrade never entered service with the jet.

19 minutes ago, MBot said:

There is a nice article on the AWG-21 jets:

http://rickmorganbooks.com/a-6e-anawg-21.html

:thumbup:

Edited by Blaze1
  • Like 2