Hello, I am a new virtual pilot.

SimbaScreams

Hello, my name is Dorian, I am 29 years old and my self-proclaimed callsign is "Mandulis". I am new to DCS and I currently own the F/A-18C Hornet, Nevada Test & Training Range, and the Persian Gulf modules on Steam. I plan on getting the P51-D module and the WW2 Assets and 1944 Normandy map bundle as well. I am also in the process of getting my VKB Gunfighter Pro mk2 MCG PRO flight stick , and MFG Crosswind rudder pedals. I already bought the Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle. I am also reading up on the NATOPS Flight Manual for the F/A-18C Hornet while I am in the process of getting all my gear. I live on the east coast of the United States. Thank you for reading! Please feel free to add me. I could use some friends that share the same passion as I do. Also, feel free to message me any questions that you may have to know me better or whatever else you'd like to know.

Also here is a link to my STEAM Profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/taseti_medjay/

Questions are as follows:

1.) Is there a resource out there to help me bind controls to my joystick and throttle once i am able?

2.) Are there any Hornet Squadrons around that I could apply for that welcome new pilots and give training sessions for said new pilots?

3.) Is there anyone out there that would like to take me under their wing?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Questions are as follows:

1.) Is there a resource out there to help me bind controls to my joystick and throttle once i am able?

Helllo, on this subject I believe the following video might be useful:

iKLrnJpc8I4

2.) Are there any Hornet Squadrons around that I could apply for that welcome new pilots and give training sessions for said new pilots?

There are a lot of virtual squadrons, but I do suggest that you do first a basic training on your own, at the very least learn to startup, take off, fly visually and land, BEFORE attempting to fly multiplayer ... or it will be very frustrating, both for yourself and for your sqadron mates.

Best regards.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Just regarding steam - I am fairly new myself and I don't recommend using steam, I have had less issues and can fly all modules when they first come out by using dcs world stand alone client - btw I only fly VR and it has been fantastic

Regarding question No.3 I like to help people, but in this case time zones are the biggest problem to be honest, so I can explain stuff via Steam (on chat). And I believe there's a lot of people in your area that can help you :). Oh, and about key bindings

STICK

2s78lrk.jpg

THROTTLE

35jbdhu.png

Mandulis, I'd be happy to share with you what I know. I'm not a great combat pilot tbh, but I know the systems well enough.

Also, when you said you're getting more gear, what do you have in mind?

the rest of the gear im getting is as follows:

VKB Gunfighter Pro mk2 with MCG PRO grip

Black MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

and stick and throttle table mounts from monstertechusa.com

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Just regarding steam - I am fairly new myself and I don't recommend using steam, I have had less issues and can fly all modules when they first come out by using dcs world stand alone client - btw I only fly VR and it has been fantastic

Unfortunately, I have did research and cant find a way to transfer my steam purchases since they no longer have keys to copy to the standalone version.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Regarding question No.3 I like to help people, but in this case time zones are the biggest problem to be honest, so I can explain stuff via Steam (on chat). And I believe there's a lot of people in your area that can help you :). Oh, and about key bindings

STICK

2s78lrk.jpg

THROTTLE

35jbdhu.png

THANK YOU! I am in Eastern Standard Time Zone.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It means it gets expensive, quick.

It's easy to end up with $500 joystick, a VR ready machine, and a Rift just for DCS.

Oh, and Bingo, Don't use steam if you can help it.

Some guys have already bought a bunch of modules, and some won't go from steam to standalone so they'd have to buy them again.

I feel bad for guys like that.

It means it gets expensive, quick.

It's easy to end up with $500 joystick, a VR ready machine, and a Rift just for DCS.

Oh, and Bingo, Don't use steam if you can help it.

Some guys have already bought a bunch of modules, and some won't go from steam to standalone so they'd have to buy them again.

I feel bad for guys like that.

Already bought my modules on steam.....v_v Already have a very nice computer, but not going VR

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Welcome to the community, Mandulis. For setting up controls check out the Input and Output section of this forum. Plethora of advice there. Expect setting up advanced controllers, such as you are acquiring, to be more time consuming than you may think. Start with one of the published profiles and tweak to your preferences.

Good advice to learn controls and basic skills before flying online, although most all squadrons are very welcoming to noobies and have their own training programs. You should find your new hobby to be both physically and mentally challenging.

Welcome to the community, Mandulis. For setting up controls check out the Input and Output section of this forum. Plethora of advice there. Expect setting up advanced controllers, such as you are acquiring, to be more time consuming than you may think. Start with one of the published profiles and tweak to your preferences.

Good advice to learn controls and basic skills before flying online, although most all squadrons are very welcoming to noobies and have their own training programs. You should find your new hobby to be both physically and mentally challenging.

Thank you for the welcome! Alright, thanks for the advice!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

UPDATE: I will be getting a Warthog Stick and Logitech G PRO Rudder Pedals instead of previous mentioned equipment.

That's downgrading your first plan quite a bit, getting careful?

Which is a good notion, for DCS F18 is Hard To Fly.

The #1 one thing to achieve by yourself is being able to do pattern landings on the Carrier. You master this by taking as an example the Youtubes of Wags and his likes and comparing this with the CASE 1 pattern images.

The short version is this.

- Take Off (when you have figured out how to do this)

(and afterward know how to taxi around and find the catapult at the exact right spot,

which you mentally mark and recognize from the visual clues)

- left bank steep 30, ease on the throttle HARD, restore throttle HARD to make a smooth bank up (you 'anticipate' the speed ribbon read out)

- raise hook, gear and flaps so Flight Control System (FCS) takes over

- do Not enter a steep climb, ascend only to 600 (this is hard enough)

- level at 600ft (this is hard enough) and be 180° on the downwind leg (which is hard enough)

- be around 170kts, not over 250kts, the speed steady to fly and ready to down half flaps and gear (and FCS in flight mode)

- when your TACAN in the HUD shows around 1.3 nm (which arrives really fast), on your left there’s the top of the ICLS glideslope @ 600ft which is your target

- be stable, be ready, gear down half flaps left bank turn

(OR trim to landing configuration, full flaps gear down TRIM, and be and assess “ON SPEED”, you’ll pass DME 1.3 be aware this extends your pattern)

- LEVEL bank left, turn towards your target ICLS DME 1.3nm intercept extending 9° CCW of the carrier heading

(you have to raise speed above “ON SPEED” to compensate bank, this is really hard, less hard with a VR system)

- full flaps, measured TRIM keep LEVEL @ 600ft (this is really hard)

- half way check your position, you’re in a steep bank and you’re working the throttle also, you have to decide the end of the turn, keep assessing turn rate, bank, speed, position

- level out whilst slowing down to level ‘ON SPEED ’ on top of your target ICLS intercept @ 600ft (128-137kts depending your weight and is a very precise speed, this is really hard)

- intercept the glide slope, follow down, trap the 3 wire by WATCHING THE BALL

(a good idea might be, is to taxi with your hook afore the no.3-wire on the deck and assess the view out the cockpit)

Do this roundabout and touch and go-arounds 100+, 200-300 times so you can do this little short circuit with your eyes closed.

Then join the squadron of you wishes and fly actual patterns (personally I lack the time but would be great fun).

Edited by majapahit

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

That's downgrading your first plan quite a bit, getting careful?

Which is a good notion, for DCS F18 is Hard To Fly.

The #1 one thing to achieve by yourself is being able to do pattern landings on the Carrier. You master this by taking as an example the Youtubes of Wags and his likes and comparing this with the CASE 1 pattern images.

The short version is this.

- Take Off (when you have figured out how to do this)

(and afterward know how to taxi around and find the catapult at the exact right spot,

which you mentally mark and recognize from the visual clues)

- left bank steep 30, ease on the throttle HARD, restore throttle HARD to make a smooth bank up (you 'anticipate' the speed ribbon read out)

- raise hook, gear and flaps so Flight Control System (FCS) takes over

- do Not enter a steep climb, ascend only to 600 (this is hard enough)

- level at 600ft (this is hard enough) and be 180° on the downwind leg (which is hard enough)

- be around 170kts, not over 250kts, the speed steady to fly and ready to down half flaps and gear (and FCS in flight mode)

- when your TACAN in the HUD shows around 1.3 nm (which arrives really fast), on your left there’s the top of the ICLS glideslope @ 600ft which is your target

- be stable, be ready, gear down half flaps left bank turn

(OR trim to landing configuration, full flaps gear down TRIM, and be and assess “ON SPEED”, you’ll pass DME 1.3 be aware this extends your pattern)

- LEVEL bank left, turn towards your target ICLS DME 1.3nm intercept extending 9° CCW of the carrier heading

(you have to raise speed above “ON SPEED” to compensate bank, this is really hard, less hard with a VR system)

- full flaps, measured TRIM keep LEVEL @ 600ft (this is really hard)

- half way check your position, you’re in a steep bank and you’re working the throttle also, you have to decide the end of the turn, keep assessing turn rate, bank, speed, position

- level out whilst slowing down to level ‘ON SPEED ’ on top of your target ICLS intercept @ 600ft (128-137kts depending your weight and is a very precise speed, this is really hard)

- intercept the glide slope, follow down, trap the 3 wire by WATCHING THE BALL

(a good idea might be, is to taxi with your hook afore the no.3-wire on the deck and assess the view out the cockpit)

Do this roundabout and touch and go-arounds 100+, 200-300 times so you can do this little short circuit with your eyes closed.

Then join the squadron of you wishes and fly actual patterns (personally I lack the time but would be great fun).

I dont have $1200 to throw down the drain, theres no way I would make that money back anyway. My Mother helped me realize this.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]