PointCTRL - Finger Mounted VR Controller

Here is the updated page for the manual for those of who started receiving your PointCTRL v2 Kits

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/731963449088802816/818557448817999922/FCU_v2_Functions.png

FCU_v2_Functions.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/731963449088802816/818621952717094942/FCU_v2_Function_with_VA.png

FCU_v2_Function_with_VA.png

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 5

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this large thread yet but: Is there a way to see a virtual representation of your hands while using PointCTRL? For example with the Leap Motion you can see your hands in the cockpit. 

1 hour ago, vukos said:

I'm not sure if this has been discussed in this large thread yet but: Is there a way to see a virtual representation of your hands while using PointCTRL? For example with the Leap Motion you can see your hands in the cockpit. 

No it does not do that. you see a crosshair as you move your hands

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

It’s the normal DCS mouse cursor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Cockpit: MonsterTech MTX F, 42" 4K TV, HP Reverb G2, Oculus Rift S, PointCTRL

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

17 minutes ago, streakeagle said:

My v2 is has been shipped. I can't wait to try it out.

I am on the list, looking forward to hearing reports from you guys that get yours while I wait.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Got mine the other day but didn’t get to really use it until last night and this afternoon.

The fit and feel of the FCUs are noticeably better. The right one doesn’t bump into my RS Hornet grip nearly as much as the original... I can wear it a lot straighter on my finger. The buttons themselves have a more satisfying click.

The FOV of the HMS is wider, so you’ll get two effects. One, you can point a greater distance from center. Two, you may have a greater potential for IR interference. I had to get softer LED light bulbs for the ceiling fan right above my cockpit.

The charging experience is much nicer as well, especially with the magnetic chargers. The FCU led turns blue when charging and goes out when charged.

I think anyone who had v1 and is upgrading will be happy.

• Like 2

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Systems: Falcon NW Talon: Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX 3090 FE; Falcon NW Mach V: Core i7 3930K @3.2GHz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 1080 FE

Controls: RS F16SGRH CE, RS F18CGRH, VPC T-50CM2, VFX, WarBRD (Grips); VPC T-50CM2, RS FSSB R3L (Bases); Winwing F/A-18C, VPC T-50CM3, VPC T-50CM, TM Warthog, Cougar (Throttles); VPC ACE2 (Rudders)

I hope I'm still on 'the list.'

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Having followed PointCtrl from the start, I have read so many of the comments/reviews. There's really nothing I can say about PointCtrl that hasn't already been said. So, I will just confirm some of the things many others have said.

PointCtrl V2 does not disappoint. I have leap motion. I have tried using VR controllers. I always fall back to using the mouse and muscle memory with real-world controls. Out of the box, without any calibration, I was able to try this out and it worked great. I struggled a bit follow the voice assist, but once I figured out the exact sequence of events necessary to begin, I was able to blow through the calibration.

Compared to leap motion: what makes all the difference are the little buttons. Leap motion tracks the position of your hand fairly accurately, but depending on where you are looking and how you are reaching for a control, it has trouble recognizing gestures. In fact, just making the gesture can create movement that causes you to touch a different control. Leap motion also causes a performance hit. PointCtrl has the overhead and precision of a mouse. The ultimate test I use to judge virtual hand controllers is turning on the ejection seat in the F-14. Because the switch is above and behind you, you have to look directly to the rear at that top of the seat's headrest. With the mouse, it can be difficult. With leap motion, it can be very difficult. If I try to use my left hand while turning my head to the right, PointCtrl has trouble tracking hit. The left hand can do it, but it is a little jumpy. But if I use my right hand, I can hit the ejection seat arm switch quickly and easily. The only way to do it faster is to map it to a physical switch that is easy to reach and identify.

I think point control ranks up there with VR and the vibrating seat pad. You may not need VR, a seat pad, or pointctrl to play DCS, but if you have the money to afford it, I wouldn't fly without it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have followed this project long time and not yet bitten the bullet.

I have seen most videos about it, but I can't get my head around that how does the mouse cursor move in the cockpit by depth. Like does it matter is your hand extended for a instrument use or is it just the normal DCS mouse that follows the surfaces in cockpit and hence doesn't care is your hand near the switch/button/lever or not?

I use touch controllers (since click support was added) and I use them as touch manner where I need to move hand at the control, instead using the "beam laser" to click things across cockpit. That is important to me.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Depth doesn’t matter with PointCTRL, you can extend your hand as far as it’s comfortable.

There are no virtual hands, just the mouse cursor.

DEFENSOR FORTIS

Spoiler

Really looking forward to getting my set and trying it out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm still #473. Was added to the list last August any idea when we will see some movement?

THanks

Asus Prime Z390-A Motherboard LGA1151 (Intel 8th and 9th Gen)

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630, 32gb DDR Ram CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB DDR4 DRAM ,   Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Xtreme 10G 2.0, Corsair H115i RGB Platinum AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, Intel 115X/2066, AMD AM4/TR4, Corsair CP-9020180-NA RMX Series RM850x 80 Plus Gold Fully Modular ATX Power Supply, 4 SSD 1TB

PointCtrl replaces the mouse for using the cursor. The key is that you calibrate its horizontal and vertical limits to roughly match the movement of you hands so that your finger will be roughly in the same place in reality that the cursor is in the sim to give the illusion of touching the controls.

Solutions using the VR controllers and hand tracking (Leap Motion is the form that I own) provide both a 3d capability, such as using your finger to push a button or flip a lever, and a 2d capability in the form of a "laser" beam that shoots out from your finger. The virtual hands have proven to be too clumsy for me. They are always there and often toggle or push something accidently, or won't quite stay on the control in the correct way and therefore leave me struggling to operate a control for precious seconds in dogfight. The worst case for me is that there always seems to be an emergency canopy release handle near a control I frequently need to use. Sooner or later, I lose my canopy in mid flight.

When I use a mouse, I have absolute precision. I can quickly and easily operate the desired control without accidently operating some other control. The problem with the mouse is you need to have a hand free to reach over to wherever the mouse is located. I keep the mouse on my right, so I a have to let go of the stick, or take control of the stick with my off hand while using the mouse. Sometimes, that has results as bad as the VR hands blowing off the canopy: such as collisions while flying low or in formation.

PointCtrl is almost the perfect compromise. You get speed and precision comparable to the mouse, but can use either hand at will in a very immersive way in that the cursor seems to almost perfectly mimic the location of your fingertip. I say almost perfect because it has two limitations: Battery life and sensitivity to sunlight (like TrackIR). Brand new, the batteries charge quick and last a long time. I don't know how well they hold up over the long haul. I went with the magnetic charging cable connectors because my charging connectors always fail on my cell phones from daily use no matter what brand of phone or type of USB port.

I didn't know it, but I had been put near the beginning of the original point control buyers list. I could have had V1 a long time ago! But when I finally got around to committing to V1, I saw information on V2 development and decided to wait. I probably should have bought V1 right away and then went on the V2 list, too. Because I would rather have had this control a whole lot sooner! I can already use if fairly well after just one night. It will only get better as it becomes more reflexive. This is pretty much a must have for me now!

• Like 2

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, Bdoyle13 said:

I'm still #473. Was added to the list last August any idea when we will see some movement?

THanks

Yikes, I pre-ordered on Feb 1, sounds like I am going to be in for quite a wait.

Don B

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Yikes, I pre-ordered on Feb 1, sounds like I am going to be in for quite a wait.

Just bear in mind production has been stopped these late months, so the queue has not moved. 

Now it is moving as we speak, so in comparison you will have to wait less then others who pre-ordered last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

4 hours ago, Ala12Rv-Tundra said:

Just bear in mind production has been stopped these late months, so the queue has not moved. 

Now it is moving as we speak, so in comparison you will have to wait less then others who pre-ordered last year. 

Yes, what he said..

Edited by MilesD
  • Like 4

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg