DCS: de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito FB Mk VI Discussion

msalama

49 minutes ago, Harry.R said:

I was going to say any info, but looks like it's quite on the Mossie front?

Far too quiet Harry..

I've got everything crossed in the hope for some news in tomorrow's newsletter.

• Like 2

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

Looks like she's in the newsletter this week!!!!!!

New screen shots here Screenshots (digitalcombatsimulator.com)

and on Silver_Dragon's thread here DCS: Roadmap (unofficial - NO DISCUSSION HERE) - Page 78 - DCS World 2.5 - ED Forums (eagle.ru)

That external model detail.......awesome job ED.

🙂

Edited by bart
  • Thanks 2

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, rkk01 said:

Hi - anyone have info on full load takeoff runway lengths???

that’s a very interesting question.  Makes me wonder how many airfields on the Normandy or Channel maps that it’ll be able to operate from

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

1 hour ago, Land0 said:

Does anyone know, or have sources for the history of the Mosquito during the Normandy campaign? Did it operate from UK bases or move to France as the fighters did?

138 Wing (21 Squadron, 305 Squadron & 613 Squadron) were based at RAF Lasham from 3rd February 1944 until 30th October 1944 when they moved to RAF Hartfordbridge. On the 19th November 1944 they moved to A.75 Cambrai/ Epinoy (France) and were there till the end of hostilities.

140 Wing (107 Squadron, 464 Squadron & 487 Squadron) were based at RAF Gravesend on D-Day proper, then moved to RAF Thorney Island from 18th June 1944. They didn't move to the continent until 6th February 1945, being based at B.87 Rosières-en-Santerre before transferring to B.58 Melsbroek from 17th April 1945, and were based there till the wars end.

These were the squadrons of 2nd TAF that used the FB.VI and whose roles we'll most likely be emulating in DCS. During the immediate post D-Day period they were operating at night interdicting German supply runs, sometimes in the company of a 2 Group Mitchell dropping flares. This constituted the majority of their operations. Occasionally they embarked on a daylight raid; some of these raids were to support the SAS Operations Houndsworth & Bulbasket, their aim being to hamper German reinforcements heading towards the Normandy beachheads. 140 Wing assisted these by striking known Gestapo and SS HQ's coordinating the searches for the SAS forces and their French resistance allies. Furthermore:

On 10 June a French railwayman informed Tonkin [Captain John Tonkin of the 1st SAS] that a train composed of at least eleven petrol tankers was parked at the rail sidings at Châtellerault. These were the fuel reserves for the advancing 2nd SS Panzer Division. To confirm their location, Tonkin sent Lieutenant Tomos Stephens on a reconnaissance of the area. Travelling alone by bicycle, Stephens made the 74 miles (119 km) round trip - returning on 11 June. He confirmed the location of the petrol train. He also reported that it was too heavily guarded for the SAS squadron to deal with. Tonkin contacted England and requested an air attack on the train. That night a force of 12 Royal Air Force de Havilland Mosquito bombers, six each from No. 138 Wing RAF, based at RAF Lasham and 140 Wing, based at Gravesend in Kent, attacked the train in its sidings.

The others were those of the Coastal Command that were providing anti-shipping strikes in the bay of Biscay; these would eventually move North to Scotland and form the Banff Strike Wing attacking shipping in the Norwegian waters.

There were other units whose parent organisation I could not tie down; they don't seem to be part of 2nd TAF, but could have been part of ADGB or even Bomber Command's support Wing.

418 Squadron is one of these, they have a record of running Intruders and Rangers during their war operational career.

Edited by DD_Fenrir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nineline featured on the Air Combat Sim podcast - https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5yZWRjaXJjbGUuY29tLzk2MDY1ZWNhLTlkNGYtNDU5Zi05NTIxLWE1OGQyM2IxMTg5Ng/episode/OTMxOTdhMGMtY2Y0Yy00NjM3LWJmOGEtN2JjMWQ3M2Y0NDFj?sa=X&ved=0CAUQkfYCahcKEwjo2ZqV5tbvAhUAAAAAHQAAAAAQAg

He speaks about the Mosquito release at around 14:55 if you wish to listen for yourself.

He said the external model was scrapped and has been started again from scratch as it was felt that it wasn't good enough and has been pushed back slightly as a result. So unfortunately that means no Mosquito when 2.7 drops. 😢 Here's hoping it looks really, really good 🤞

Edited by Resi
  • Like 1

In Discord yesterday, Ninelines also mentioned that the Mosquito will follow the Hind in release. Looks like the wait is a bit longer still.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | Asus TUFF nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 OC | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Dark Hero | 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 RAM | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Virpil MT-50 CM2 Throttle | Virpil Alpha on WarBRD base |  Virpil Ace 1 Rudder Pedals | Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant (x2) |Acer x34 P 3440 x 1440 | Valve Index VR | DCS on NVME

1 hour ago, Hartsblade said:

In Discord yesterday, Ninelines also mentioned that the Mosquito will follow the Hind in release. Looks like the wait is a bit longer still.

If this is the case then we could be looking at a substantial delay.

In last weeks newsletter on the Hind release ED said "We look forward to sharing more information closer to the Early Access release in late Q2 2021" so if our Mosquito EA release is now going to follow this then we could be looking at the end of Q2, a potential 13 week delay, the 30th June being a Wednesday which is 13 weeks today.

It is what it is, either way I'm sure it will be worth waiting for...

Edited by bart

Ahhhh damn, was afraid of this with the lack of info turning up.   However at least we can be sure the Ed are taking this release seriously and want to do the mosquito justice.   It looks like they won’t stand for 2nd best, so on the positive we know our bird is in safe hands.

Disappointing and disappointed yes, concerned or worried about the project I’m most certainly am not.    All I want is for them to do this right, and honestly I’ve ever pay confidence they will.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

Excuse me, but I'm genuinely curious how the whole ready 3D model can be so wrong that it is scrapped? I mean all those hundreds of thousands of polys, the whole model, months of work? How come not one part was right?

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

That's what I don't get. If there's an incorrect detail, fix the detail not rebuild the whole thing from scratch.....or did they go back to fix said error to find the original 3DS (or whatever software) file got deleted and they have to start from scratch because someone didn't make a backup?

Edited by Nealius
  • Like 1

I think some of you guys might be reading too much into it. NineLine is not a 3D gfx expert and designer, someone from the team told him in unspecified way the model requires major rework, he passed the message to the best of his ability and that's it.

I doubt every single polygon coordinate has to be adjusted from scratch and nothing can be re-used, unless they really lost the whole source model somehow.

In the end, I don't think they'll go that much into tech details in their next newsletter on this particular subject. It'll be ready when its ready and we'll juts have to wait for the next update / announcement.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

3 hours ago, qcheck said:

I am actually happy to see the delay for upgrading the model.  My mosquito will look even more beautiful now! 🙂

Doublely so now we are getting new prop textures as well.

those 2 Merlins are gonna look magnificent with the new tech.

• Like 4

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

• 2 weeks later...

I hope the delay allows ED to add rockets in. That's what I want the Mossie for - rocketing ships and trains and tanks. If it just comes with bombs I'm going to be so disappointed - bombs are not as exciting to me.

PC specs: