I'm confused on the first mission you control.

I'm confused about how to fly this mission. First the other F15c didn't taxi out, I followed two other planes and then the F15c followed me. I'm pretty sure he told me to follow him.

Once I take off, I pass the race track and bank left, then I head to heading 270 below the altitude it said. Then I lost track of what to do from there. I don't know how to use the kneeboard, I hit k and it only stays up until I stop holding down K. If I hit Shift+K it stays opened. But it's zoomed in to close, how do I zoom out to see the full image in the kneeboard? How do I change pages?

The readme says there are extensive docs that I must read for the missions. But I can't find any extensive docs, all I find are a few maps, a bunch of routes and procedures but no instructions clearly labeled on what I'm supposed to do. Since I lose track of the speach in the beginning after heading towards 270 and I don't know how to navigate the Kneeboard I get lost. If I land I fail the mission for not following a path. I have no idea where to go to hit the trigger lists. The voices on the coms come fast and I'm not sitting here taking notes, doesn't DCS have an "objectives" list it keeps track of so you know what the objectives are that I can view? Are the waypoints set up so I can just ignore the voices since they're way to fast and just follow the waypoints to lead me to the fight? I don't even know how to recognize the land marks, I can see the obvious stuff like the race track, but most of it looks like cookie cutter houses. I feel stupid because I can never figure any of these campaigns or missions out, I end up always quitting and loading Through the inferno and fighting random planes that I spawn. I would like to play real levels, but I don't know what the hell I'm doing.

Here's an example:

I found this in one of the PDFs. It says "NTTR Red Force Departure Routes" and I'm pretty sure this is the script that the voice over is reading but I am not sure. It says "Fly north of FLEX at or below 4,000 Feet MSL and then heading 270"

I have no idea what flex is, I understand 4,000 feet. I don't know what MSL means, and I go to heading 270 before reaching 4,000 feet.

Then it says "Intercept the LSV I5 DME Arc at or below 8,000 feet MSL and arc south" What? What is LSV I5 DME? Is Arc a manuver? I think I understand the next part, stay below 8,000 feet? and then I assume make another manuver to arc south? So is LSV 15 DME something in the air I'm looking for? Is it something on the ground that I can see on an instrument somewhere that acts as a waypoint or something? I assume it's in a fixed position otherwise I have no idea how far to go before arcing south, but I have no idea what direction the first arc was.

Is there a pre requisit I should read somewhere before attempting this again? I'm clearly not understanding common terms and abbreviations that are assumed to be known or I'm missing something I am supposed to read. Please help me.

Thank you

Hi Falken76,

Yes it can be overwhelming if you are not that familiar with the aircraft and all the messages being given. We will help get you sorted.

We try and make our missions and campaigns as realistic as possible so there is alot of documentation that is provided but since you are learning you don't need to worry too much about them right now. Seasoned pilots will appreciate the extra details.

The first mission is a familiarization flight (FAM Flight) to get you familiar with the area. So if you look at the FAM Flight Plan document it will show you the waypoints you will be following. All the waypoints are already programmed into the F-15C so if you takeoff and fly to each waypoint in sequence then you will be successful.

You should wait for the instructor pilot to leave first (just wait a few more seconds). During this time you should be doing your start-up sequence, getting your engines started, testing your flaps and speed brake, checking the engine instruments for proper RPM and any warning and caution lights.

I know it's a video game and you can just jump in and start right away but doing a proper start up checklist is a good habit to get into (especially when moving on to the more advanced jets like the Hornet).

The other flights will leave first then the instructor pilot will follow them once they are taxied past him but if you leave first then that tells the AI to stop and he will follow you as you saw. The mission will still play properly in either case.

Since more and more users are moving to VR we added much of the documentation to the in-game kneeboard. To use the kneeboard, RSHIFT-K will bring it up and the same command sequence will hide it. Once up you can use the square bracket keys [ and ] to move forward and back within the kneeboard pages. Pressing the ] will walk through the pages and pressing [ will take you to the other pages of the kneeboard.

This will allow you to view all the pages of the kneeboard (and there are alot). You might want to review them before you start moving then leave it on the page you want to check often (for example the FAM Flight Plan). Then use RSHIFT-K to hide it until you want to check it again.

The nice thing about the F-15C though is that it has a modern navigation system and the waypoints for the mission are already programmed into the aircraft. So when you takeoff you should fly to WP1, then it should switch to WP2 and so on. So you can fly the mission without even looking at the kneeboard provided you follow the navigation indications on the HUD. Check the F-15C or Flaming Cliffs DCS Manual for details there. You can also change the waypoints manually using the LCTRL-` (back tick) command sequence. Using this you can step through all the waypoints until you are back to the starting one (WP 0). Most folks map this to a HOTAS control button to make it easier.

The mission briefing documents include a Flight Plan diagram (FAM Flight Plan) plus more detailed Departure and Recovery routes. This is useful information if you lose your HUD for instance but given that you are just learning you don't need to use them right now.

I'll answer your specific questions in case others have similar questions.

When flying in populated areas (like Las Vegas) there are flight level restrictions or altitude blocks you should maintain to avoid other traffic. That's what it means when it says fly below 4,000 Feet or above 14,000 Feet.

MSL stands for Mean Sea Level and is a standard altitude measurement. Aircraft fly at altitudes measured in MSL or AGL (Above Ground Level). For this mission we use MSL throughout.

FLEX is the name of one of the waypoints in the flight plan. Looking at the FAM Flight Plan diagram you will see that each waypoint has a unique name. These would correspond to the numbered waypoints when flying in the F-15C.

For example WP 2 is FLEX, WP 3 is FYTTR, etc. You can see them listed on the kneeboard map display.

For this phrase "Intercept the LSV 15 DME Arc at or below 8,000 feet MSL and arc south".

DME stands for Distance Measuring Equipment so the LSV 15 DME Arc is a circle that is 15nm slant range from Nellis AFB (LSV).

Here is a link with more details about DME: http://www.flight-mechanic.com/radio-navigation-distance-measuring-equipment-dme/

So to fly the departure accurately you would pick up the 15 DME arc on your TACAN and arc south to then pickup the 267 Radial from LSV to get to FYTTR (WP 3).

The F-15C TACAN isn't modeled in DCS so for this mission you don't have to be that accurate and can fly directly to WP 3.

There is alot of good information availalbe online that can help you learn DCS and the navigation systems but feel free to email us at mapleflagmissions@gmail.com or post further questions to the forum and we will be happy to help.

Thanks.

Edited by Sabre-TLA

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

Thank you Sabre-TLA! I know how to use the waypoint system in the F15c, so I'll use that now. But I am so glad you explained how to use the Kneeboard. I play in VR so it's nice to be able to look at the kneeboard instead of through the nose gab on the Oculus Rift to see a print out. Now I can go to the FAM route on the kneeboard and use the waypoints so I know where I am. I'll wait for the F15c to move first now too. I'll try these tools next time I am able to play.

• 4 months later...

Ha, I told ya, here I am already after the FAM Flight mission.

1. Since LSV is Nellis AFB, which is wypt 0, I can set this wypt in the Eagle's NAV to use it as "TACAN" - it will give me range (although it'll be ground range, right?) on the HUD and HSI. Also HSI can be used to get radial and follow the arc.

Am I the only one to catch it and use it that way? :)

2. Why the 16s, 29s and AWACS calls on this mission? I wasn't warned about any of this so just ignored.

3. At the start look at the Eagle on your right - the second to last. When changing view/zoom it flickers - textures changes between blue/desert. Do you have it too?

btw: @OB 2.5.4

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria