Vista sound

Invicta

Hi everyone

I'm having some trouble with Lockons sound and windows Vista.

Everytime I join a game it sounds as my head is stuck in one of my engines. Even with the engines turned off they completely overrule all other sounds in the game.

I heard this is because microsoft removed the HAL (hardware abstraction layer) from Vista. Don't know exactly what it does, but I do know that now my multiplayer sound is messed up.

I've downloaded the latest drivers for both my onboard sound (Realtek AC'97) and my Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2. But this has had 0 effect.

Creative has produced a work-around tool, but that is only for the newer X-Fi soundcards. They are still working on similar tool for the Audigy series, but I was kinda hoping for a quicker solution.

A bottle of my finest YP-Vodka for whoever fixes my problem. ;)

159th_invictalockonru.jpg

Does this happen when you're in a multiplayer-game, or does it also happen in singleplayer?

The ALchemy-project is said to be developed for the Audigy-series of cards as well, but rumor on the street is that it will only be payware.

Regards

Fjordmonkey

Clustermunitions is just another way of saying that you don't like someone.

I used to like people, then people ruined that for me.

Actually the only work-around i know is to edit the Sounds\Plane.cfg file as following :

EngineAfterburnerSound = false;
EngineFrontSound = true;
EngineBackSound = true;
EngineAroundSound = true;
WindSound = false;
DistortionSound = false;
CockpitSystemsSound = true;
CockpitAfterburnerSound = true;

This remove the loud sound but remove some 3D sound effect.

• Like 1

Does this happen when you're in a multiplayer-game, or does it also happen in singleplayer?

The ALchemy-project is said to be developed for the Audigy-series of cards as well, but rumor on the street is that it will only be payware.

Its not a rumor, it was stated by one of the Dev's. Who knows how much though, they claim 'low-cost'. But if an X-fi costs around $100, $50 could be considered low cost.

Never know though, it may be free.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This loud sound error which overrides all other sounds is also under XP on boards with Realtek in conjunction with Soundblaster Player 5.1. Happens for me in Single- and in Multiplayer sometimes (when i switch between cockpit and external views).

Lock+On+-+Su-33+TakeraEins+Selection+11.jpg

Actually the only work-around i know is to edit the Sounds\Plane.cfg file as following :

EngineFrontSound = true;
EngineBackSound = true;
WindSound = false;
DistortionSound = false;

I was hoping this thread would pop up.

I had the same issues with Lomac sounds when I installed vista business on my pc. I tried everything. I called it quits after a week, could not live with it. Reverted back to Xp soon after.

from Creative lab faqs;

Solution ID # 25937 dot-clear.gifdot-clear.gif Audio in Windows

Summary:

• In this article, we would like to address questions and concerns raised by customers regarding compatibility of Creative audio products with Windows Vista.

Audio issues

In general, issues relating to Creative audio products may be divided into one of four categories:

1. The Windows Vista audio engine runs faster than the Windows XP audio engine did, and Vista has tighter requirements on audio buffer position accuracy than XP did. This exposed low level driver bugs that we had not been seen before. Issues that may be encountered:
    Audio dropouts, distortions that only happen once in a while, constant distortions, or audio/video synchronization drift that only happens after several hours of watching movies.
    We are working daily to address issues in this category, and we have recently published drivers for Vista for some of our products that address these. Please don't hesitate to contact us if you find our latest drivers continue to exhibit symptoms such as those described.
  2. The Vista audio architecture changes the way per-stream audio processing works, which required us to write new software to support this. Issues that may be encountered:
    CMSS no longer works on audio streams from the OS.
    Status: Features based on Windows XP architecture must be rewritten to conform to the new Vista architecture, and we have a team of software engineers, project managers and testers dedicated to this task in order to provide our customers the same seamless audio experience under Windows Vista that they enjoyed under Windows XP.
  3. The Vista audio architecture disables DirectSound 3D hardware acceleration; resulting in legacy DirectSound based EAX game titles not working as they did in XP. Issues that may be encountered:
    Could range from loss of EAX functionality in EAX enabled games to a complete game incompatibility, depending on how the game title was authored. This would only happen with games that render 3D audio using DirectSound, it should not affect games that render 3D audio using OpenAL.
    These issues cannot be addressed by the Creative audio driver, because the functionality was purposely removed by the operating system. We look forward to game titles moving away from DirectSound and toward OpenAL for fully optimized Creative 3D audio hardware and technology support.
  4. Bugs in Vista. Issues that may be encountered:
    The user mode audio stack is nearly 100% brand new software. As a result, there are indeed issues whose root cause is in the operating system.
    We are working closely with Microsoft to alert them of any and all issues like this, and we have found them to be cooperative with us in bringing them to resolution.

Short story, it has not been fixed yet & will it? Your guess is as good as mine:D

Antec 900 gaming tower, PSU: Corsair 750W, Q6600, Asus P5K, 8Gig Mushkin, Nvidia eVGA 280 GTX Superclocked 1G DDR3, SSDNOW200 Kingston Drive, TrackIr 3000+Vector, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Saitek rudder pedals pro, Sharp 42" inch LCD Aquo. OS: windows 7 64bit.

• 6 months later...

Thanx for the solution to this VERY ANNOYING problem Ezor.

I just reisntalled the game and i couldnt get it to work for a few days now.

I re-installed Vista 3 times to make it work right with different configurations..

Any chance someone is going to work on releasing a patch for this issue ? Whether it be Crative or ED .. someone should take this into account.

Thank you again!

Tropikal

DANG !!!

Thought i had the problem fixed using the workaround Ezor mentioned, and it WAS working.

I tried single and multi player and both were running fine.

After installing a few other programs it is NOT fine anymore..

Not sure if it was the openAL install or LOCFG, or something else even, but the result is that i m back at square one with the same audio issue and i cant get rid of it AGAIN.

I uninstalled Open AL and the problem is still there.. i m lost now !

I have to add that the problem seems server related. The =RvE= server seems problem free, others dont, like the =RAF= or the other one i tried the AKADO_GUNS. These last ones did have the audio issue mentioned above .. if we could restrict the problem to a server setting and point out which setting it is maybe we could all just standardize that for all servers..

Do you have the very latest version of Dx? There was a Dx released 10-27-07 that might help you solve some issues.

Are u talking about a new DX10 version ??

EDIT:

I downloaded the latest DX version from MS and it did not change anything at all. The issue remains the same.

Thanx for the suggestion though, maybe installing the DX9 on top of the 10 might give some result, i might try that. Though since the issue is server related we should probably just try to pinpoint what setting it is and get it over with.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update on the subject.

I installed Creative Alchemy Software and it solved any audio isue with Lockon & Vista.

For $9.99 it s worth the hassle free game.

All you need to do is download the 19 Mb file after purchase, add the directory of the game to the console, and that s it.

Game works on original settings as well as with sound mods installed under modman.

Cheers.

EDIT

PS: There is a torrent cracked version of this software, dont try it cause it wont work. It crashes the game upon launch. The 1.00.05 version is probably bugged. The 1.00.35 is the version you want for Audigy cards. I have an Audigy 2 ZS Gamer and the newer version solved my problem.

• 2 years later...

EngineFrontSound = true;
EngineBackSound = true;
WindSound = false;
DistortionSound = false;

Thanks Ezor. This is also posted as a sticky in the Mods and Tweaks thread of:

hd_08.png