Vulkan API

snowsniper

One big improvement would be to see the same cloud in both eyes at the same time. Right now when you turn your head, some clouds pop in/out of existence in each eye, which makes small "cotton" clouds very displeasing to watch. I'll be happy with just that fixed.

• Like 4

AMD R5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3000MHz | RTX 3080 | HP Reverb G2 | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 | Thrustmaster TCWS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

^^Oh lovely!

Edited by Worrazen

1st.: PC Specs: Win10P 2004 (20H1), 1440p@75"32 - MB: Asus ROG Strix X-570E - CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650G - GPU: AMD Radeon RX480 - RAM: 64 GB - SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe

2nd.: PC Specs: Win10P 2004 (20H1), 1440p@75"32 - MB: Asus P9X79 - CPU: Intel i7 3820 - RAM: 32GB - GPU: AMD Radeon RX480 8GB - SSD Samsung 870 EVO 250GB (DCS), Input: Saitek Cyborg X/FLY5

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2.

Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria.

• 1 month later...

I can say i want more to see Vulkan alive rather than Apache.I hope when it will be released to have all time stable 40fps at VR.This will be a huge improvement for me.

• Like 3

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 6/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, slowmover said:

I can say i want more to see Vulkan alive rather than Apache.I hope when it will be released to have all time stable 40fps at VR.This will be a huge improvement for me.

You know, with how awesome the Hind is, I kind of agree here. I’d love multi-core and Vulcan. The sooner the better. But, I suspect the Core Dev and Module devs are different teams, so holding a module up the Apache would be pointless. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

i’m very hopeful for Q3. Multi-core first though. At least IMO.

Edited by RenegadeSkip
Added Apache specification
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, RenegadeSkip said:

You know, with how awesome the Hind is, I kind of agree here. I’d love multi-core and Vulcan. The sooner the better. But, I suspect the Core Dev and Module devs are different teams, so holding a module up the Apache would be pointless. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

i’m very hopeful for Q3. Multi-core first though. At least IMO.

Vulcan and multi-core has building by the core team on the main office studio on Moscow, has other team on Minsk (Bielorussia) centred on map engine and map building . The modern modules has builded by the old "Belsimtek" team on other study outside Moscow. The main office has the WW2 team and other teams as Supercarrier, Dinamic Campaign team, etc. Has other personal, outside the studios, to make AI and other stuff.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2

More news to the front

Wishlist: ED / 3rd Party Campaings

My Rig: Intel I-5 750 2.67Ghz / Packard Bell FMP55 / 16 GB DDR3 RAM / GTX-1080 8 GB RAM / HD 1Tb/2Tb / Warthog / 2 MDF / TFPR

DCS: Roadmap (unofficial):https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=116893

DCS: List of Vacant models: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=4076891#post4076891

21Squad DCS: World News: https://www.facebook.com/21Squad-219508958071000/

Silver_Dragon Youtube

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Vulcan and multi-core has building by the core team on the main office studio on Moscow, has other team on Minsk (Bielorussia) centred on map engine and map building . The modern modules has builded by the old "Belsimtek" team on other study outside Moscow. The main office has the WW2 team and other teams as Supercarrier, Dinamic Campaign team, etc. Has other personal, outside the studios, to make AI and other stuff.

Bingo. Exactly what I thought. Thank you for the clarity.

So yep, Apache will be a day 1 buy for me, whenever it gets here, regardless of core updates. Can’t wait for 3.0 (assuming we go up a generation when they come)! 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Many game teams are in the process of ditching DX, thankfully! Vulkan and Gen 12 can't come soon enough to DCS and Star Citizen. 

I'm hoping Linux will be an option after the switch. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I lowered my MSAA to 2x at Full HD resolution and my VGA GTX 1070 was downgraded from recomended to minimum requirement after DCS 2.7.

I expect to see the Vulkan API implemented this year to get better looking and good performace soon.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k MOBO: Asus Z87-k MEM: Corsair Vegeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming HT: TrackIR 5 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: T.Flight Rudder Pedals WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 10 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik: BOS BOM BOK BOB, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa

Q3 Does not always mean July-August-September,

Companies often use offset fiscal calenders.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, 72Stu said:

Many game teams are in the process of ditching DX, thankfully! Vulkan and Gen 12 can't come soon enough to DCS and Star Citizen. 

I'm hoping Linux will be an option after the switch. 

While the graphics engine will be Vulkan, the Core of DCS still uses Parts of Windows Libraries and functions.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,

3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

5 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Eagle Dynamics have so far never used offset fiscal calendars. If this is no longer the case, wouldn't that be something that should be communicated prominently? 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i9-9900KF@5Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 9/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, SkateZilla said:

While the graphics engine will be Vulkan, the Core of DCS still uses Parts of Windows Libraries and functions.

Yes, but it enables a scrub like me with an old PC be able to squeeze much more FPS out of the game than now, and anything is a grab right now brother. 🥺

8 hours ago, 72Stu said:

Yes, but it enables a scrub like me with an old PC be able to squeeze much more FPS out of the game than now, and anything is a grab right now brother. 🥺

Until GPU Prices come down, I'm going to ride it out with my R7970 Lightnings OC'd.

If i iNeed RTX I have my Laptop w/ RTX3060, but I even with my R7970 I can still fly in DCS with 30FPS Locked.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,

3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

5 hours ago, Bladigan said:

Any news about this please?

I tried getting a CM to respond to the announced Q3 almost being over, but got nothing except for the usual "when we have news to share, we will".

People will keep speculating and asking questions until a statement is made that's more along the lines of:

- "Vulkan is close to ready but internal testing showed we need a little more time";

or:

- "Due to unforeseen issues we had to stop working on Vulkan for a while. Work has resumed but we won't make Q3. When we have more news to share, we will."

or:

- "Implementing Vulkan has proven to be even more complicated than we had foreseen. We want to take our time doing it properly, so we'll have to postpone until 2022."

People do understand if announced features won't make the deadline (stuff happens), but an official statement (in just 1 sentence) would be nice 🙂

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
  • Like 7
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 CL16 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 960Pro NVMe 1TB | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2 base/grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

My in-game DCS settings (PD 1.0 SteamSS 76%):

I gotta agree @Raven (Elysian Angel). Especially when it pertains to the core game engine and so many players are very interested. While I don’t want to be a Debbie Downer, I’m no longer expecting an update in 2021. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’ll just be surprised and happy when we do get an update. So long of course, as it’s not another year away. 

i’m hopeful overall though. 

Whilst also having my fingers crossed, have to say that I'm doubtful about this year.

My understanding was that there was a need to update lots of textures and similar to ready DCS for Vulkan.  If that's the case, I'm assuming that all of the older aircraft would be getting a bit of a spruce up, which has happened to the A10c and I believe the Ka50 is en route.

That does however leave aircraft like the Mi8, and I've seen nothing mentioned about that.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

It was mentioned by the devs that Vulkan development has good progress. It was back in 2018...

Since then in the 2021 january newsletter it was mentioned to be PLANNED to release in Q3.

Now Q3 2021 practically ends.

Not a single hint or trace about Vulkan yet.

At the beginning of 2020(!) this interesting conversation surfaced on reddit: 

Q: "Miss Perederko, Will DCS continue to use Deferred Shading with the full migration or go back to forward rendering?"

A: "I will not give you a direct answer and keep it for internal use. However, Vulkan is not linked to a particular way of rendering. We'll take advantage of that freedom to optimize the performance and deliver a better picture. Kate Perederko, COO ED"

I understand that for every project to give feasible timeline estimation it's advised to apply Murphy's law: get the predicted development time, multiply it by 2 and switch it to one step bigger scale (i.e. 2 weeksTM job will need 4 months). 😉

Now we are talking about YEARS of development.

In january they had to be some kind of "certain" that implementing Vulkan should be finished in 1-2 months to be able to "PLAN" Q3 for deployment and write it down in a newsletter.

But we still only got silence, which induces frustration.

I'd also be the happiest to know, that the next possible BIG update (somewhere in October) will include core tech migration as well including Vulkan, but if the news is "bad" like "forget 2021, we should wait at least for 2022", then let it be.

Just say us a word.

Please.

• Like 2

It was said like 2 years ago (before World Pandemic, I guess) that migration to Vulkan was complete internally and they were "just" porting every single shader (thousands) one by one to the new engine. I guess that takes more time than it looks like at first.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The current situation with GPU market implies that we'll be unable to buy any strong GPU for a reasonable price in the next year or more.

This is really sad, but at the same time it's the BEST moment right now to help the users with next gen VR headsets (like G2) to be able to squeeze all the available horsepower from current hardware.

Optimization is a MUST these days. If only the long journey of Vulkan reach to the end right now then it would be heaven for DCS users.

Let the VR users also experience the "OMG" factor of this extraordinary game in its full glory.