Just check web/youtube for integrated Vulkan API for one of the civilian sims on the market.

They say the performance gains are almost %50. No stuttering no hick ups. I wish ED could make this priority one.

I tried to not give any brands in order to not break the forum rules. You will have to make an easy guess for it, as there are not so many options.

100% for AMD Cards.

Almost every game that integrated Vulkan over DX11/10/OpenGL has seen GCN and rDNA1.0 Cards double their FPS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill,

X470 Taichi Ultimate, 2x R7970 Lightnings Crossfired @ 1.1/6.0GHz,

3x ASUS VS248HP + Hanns·G HZ201HPB + Oculus HMD,

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs, CH Fighterstick+Pro Throttle+Pro Pedals

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vulkan Ray Tracing Final Specification Release Khronos® has released the final versions of the set of Vulkan®, GLSL and SPIR-V extension specifications that seamlessly integrate ray tracing into

https://www.khronos.org/blog/vulkan-sdk-offers-developers-a-smooth-transition-path-to-synchronization2     Bye Phant

In this latest interview of Wags, interesting Vulkan discussion starting at 29:18. In short, Wags states (as I understood it), Vulkan is still in the works. Vulkan implimentation is being worked on

To be fair, they used OpenGL before switching to Vulkan, not DX11. OpenGL is kinda low on the totem pole to begin with, and huge gains going to Vulkan make sense. Not sure if we can expect to see those from DX11 to Vulkan...

OpenGL and DirectX 9/10/11 are both in the same class.

100% for AMD Cards.

Almost every game that integrated Vulkan over DX11/10/OpenGL has seen GCN and rDNA1.0 Cards double their FPS.

Geez , that's gonna complicate my gpu upgrade :)

BTW , thanks for that most useful updater utility . I used it often , and will again when 2.56 is fixed .

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Geez , that's gonna complicate my gpu upgrade :)

BTW , thanks for that most useful updater utility . I used it often , and will again when 2.56 is fixed .

Wait for rDNA2 Cards in a few months.

Even the Mid Level ones will perform better than the current ones.

I think RDNA 2 will be my next choiche. Hopefully vulkan will eventually be the standard.

Vulkan will not take over 100% of the market.

Microsoft has DX12 Ultimate.

And most Shooters and AAA Titles will use it because if they are using DX12 Ultimate and MS Visual Studio 2019. They will no longer have to compile two separate code paths to switch between Windows 10 and Xbox.

Windows 10 after XBSX Launch, will update to DX12 Ultimate, and It will detect your hardware, and compare it to Xbox One, Xbox One X, or Xbox Series X.

From there all Xbox Games will be able to play on both PC and all 3 Xbox Consoles.

Why? Because Console Manufacturers lose money on the hardware / systems and make their money on the software licenses etc.

So if MS can unify Xbox and Windows, they will open Xbox Titles to being sold to the billions of PC Gamers as well.

Just saw a vid by VR flight sim guy on YT . While he generally prefers the Reverb for simming , he found that the Rift S is better with that Vulkan sim . He thinks it is because the higher res of the 'verb in combination with Vulkan's greater demands on gpu memory overtaxed the gpu .

Running a 1080ti .

Sure hope more gpu memory will be available in the non-ti versions of 3xxx .

8GB of VRAM get easily maxed out by DCS with a Reverb, not even using the highest possible settings which pushes VRAM usage up. I have no 2080Ti but I wouldn't doubt you can also or almost max out the 12GB of a 2080Ti. When buying a new card for DCS Reverb VR no one should aim for less than 12GB on VRAM if he can.

Having a 1000W PSU, I hope one "Big Navi" card will be a dual GPU card so you will have a Crossfire performance plus in DCS VR without original Crossfire or SLI even officially working in DCS VR.

Edited by Der Hirte
8GB of VRAM get easily maxed out by DCS with a Reverb, not even using the highest possible settings which pushes VRAM usage up. I have no 2080Ti but I wouldn't doubt you can also or almost max out the 12GB of a 2080Ti. When buying a new card for DCS Reverb VR no one should aim for less than 12GB on VRAM if he can.

Having a 1000W PSU, I hope one "Big Navi" card will be a dual GPU card so you will have a Crossfire performance plus in DCS VR without original Crossfire or SLI even officially working in DCS VR.

Yeah , i don't plan on getting a Reverb (WMR-meh and qc) , but in any case will be looking for more vram in my next card to prepare for Vulkan and a possible Oculus headset upgrade .

How is your AMD gpu doing ? Still happy with it ?

9700k , Aorus Pro wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Hotas on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , RiftS

"Hold my beer"

Crossfire / SLi support is Dead.

Lisa Su said that AMD will not support XFire on New GPUs After GCN, and nVidia already removed SLi from RTX.

Both RTX and Navi Support Communication through the PCIe Bus now.

So there's no point in having them support old tech. SLi and XFire were showing almost 10 years ago when Multi-Screen Configurations started becoming popular.

DX12 and Vulkan both support Resource Pooling natively,

DirectX 12 via explicit multi-GPU support and Vulkan via

Yes still running good, but waiting for the next generation cards, I'm hoping the panic doesn't push the release date too far ... My 5700XT was always just a temporary solution to have the simulator on years end and support AMD.

I had no faith in getting DCS using SLI or Crossfire in VR anyway in the near future, so I'm hoping for a dual GPU graphics card with two GPUs on one card, which is not SLI or Crossfire per definition but still a big surplus on performance. This might start to get into PCIe Generation 4 territory, which I have a slot on the board for. In this instance I wouldn't care about power usage as long as it delivers the performance. Imagine the performance jump having one GPU handling one eye and the other core the other eye display, not yet talking about Vulkan.

Edited by Der Hirte

They will surpass a 2080ti with ease. xD i know that sounds like fanboyism but its not. Think about ps5 has 2.23ghz clockspeed and said that it can go even faster than that if it were not limited by the console power limit.

And we know that they will go past 64 CU's. And amd said rdna 2 has an IPC gain and another 50% improvement in power to performance. But rdna 2 is not going to compete with the 2080ti, its going to compete with the 3080ti. If amd's top card beats the 3080ti then nvidia will probably release a 3090 xD. Greedy nvidia.

I know this is not a fair comparison, however X-Plane has released their Vulkan Beta. Using a 2080 Super, I'm getting an increase of just over 5% FPS. X-Plane indicated that Nvidia users weren't going to see a huge increase in performance. AMD users are reporting a bit more in performance based on what I've read in the XP forums. Again, for whatever this is worth. I wouldn't expect Vulkan to be the game changer some folks are hoping for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Pretty impressive on my side.

My little test starting at Hamburg Finkenwerder direction north to the city, turning east to fly along river Elbe with the river and all the buildings and trees, clouds and a little fog visible(200-400ft heigt).

OpenGL: 25 on runway, on flight 20-26

Vulkan: 45 on runway, on flight 38 -46

Details, nearly maxed out, only AA is not maxed out, 3440x1440

I know this is not a fair comparison, however X-Plane has released their Vulkan Beta. Using a 2080 Super, I'm getting an increase of just over 5% FPS. X-Plane indicated that Nvidia users weren't going to see a huge increase in performance. AMD users are reporting a bit more in performance based on what I've read in the XP forums. Again, for whatever this is worth. I wouldn't expect Vulkan to be the game changer some folks are hoping for.

Interesting how different the experiences can be

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind

System: Win 10 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti XE ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - Oculus Rift S, using only the latest Open Beta DCS Settings PD 1.5

Interesting how different the experiences can be

I'm suspecting the difference is in VR users vs. panscreen users?

CPU = Intel i7-6700K

Motherboard = ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero Alpha, w/ the Intel Z170 Chipset,

RAM = 64 Gigs of Ripjaws V F4-3400C16Q.

GPU = Zotac GTX980ti Amp Extreme

Hard-drive = Samsung V-NAD SSD 950 PRO M.2

Depends . Doesn't sound like 8 gig Vram is gonna cut it any more , at least with 4k or VR .

"Hold my beer"

...I wouldn't expect Vulkan to be the game changer some folks are hoping for.

You should. The long game, so to speak, is to make use of multiple cores. Whether they come through on that is another matter.

my concerns about Vulkan are that the FPS-improvement with 4k resolution from DX11 to Vulkan does not look that good as with 1080p. And since future VR will not compare to 1080 but to 4k and above I don't have too much hope yet. Just hoping this is WIP and future graphic adapters will profit more from Vulkan or DX12 then the actual ones do.

You really need to check that you installed the beta, then clicked the checkbox for Vulkan. My 1080 ti ftw3 with i7-8700k at 4.8ghz setup got a 50% increase in framerates in VR. Many AMD cards are seeing way more than that.

DCS is an amazing game, but the need for Vulkan and other engine related changes can't be understated. We still need to address the multicore CPU usage as the norm almost every year is increasing the core count. Vulkan will help to balance the load to the GPU, but for this game to continue in the next decade, it needs to get on par with the new age.

I know what's in the works, atleast according to rumors, for the next AMD cards. But NVidia won't sit idly by without releasing newer and stronger cards themselves, too. Only the benchmarks will tell.

nVidia already has Cards they wont release unless AMD Pushes them.

1. Because they cost too much to fab.

2. Because the retail cost will be high

So.. If AMD Pulls off a Home Run w/ rDNA2 and Beats RTX2080 and RTX3080, even by 10% or less.

nVidia will give the Go Ahead to Fab the bigger die and sell it for 2x-4x the RTX3080 Price.

It dont matter to them how many they sell, because they will claim they have the fastest GFX Card, and People will flock to their products just because.

They would literally sell hundreds more RTX3080/3070/3060s Just because they have the Fastest GPU, and only sell maybe a few dozen of those super cards to end users.

There's a Reason they have Huge Dies and Core Counts for AI/Super Computers/CGI and those cards are kept in the professional market and not labeled as gaming cards.

They Cost too much, and the Price to Performance for gaming is not favorable for anyone that's not backed by a corporation.

Matter of fact, RTX Titan.

2499.99 MSRP, 24GB, 4608 CUDA, 72 RT Cores

Edited by SkateZilla

Ur exactly right skatezilla. Many of my pc gamer friends who dont know mich about pc hardware are only considering intel and nvidia, even though they dont know anything about intel, nvidia or cpu's and gpu's in general. And yet they want intel amd nvidia! Its really crazy. And when i try to explain them they think im ignorant xD. I really hope rdna 2 is a good card, maybe then my friends will think otherwise. But rdna 2 is defenitelly gonna beat the 2080ti, thats what i believe.