Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

I don't own that particular product myself but would be interested to know what sort of fps gains people are seeing, expressed as a percentage.

Pretty impressive on my side.

My little test starting at Hamburg Finkenwerder direction north to the city, turning east to fly along river Elbe with the river and all the buildings and trees, clouds and a little fog visible(200-400ft heigt).

OpenGL: 25 on runway, on flight 20-26

Vulkan: 45 on runway, on flight 38 -46

Details, nearly maxed out, only AA is not maxed out, 3440x1440

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Pretty impressive on my side.

Indeed. Thanks for reply. What sort of performance can you get on the Rift S? I own the other civil aviation product - their VR implementation leaves a lot to be desired, although I can manage 40 (ASW) / 80 keeping settings very low + decent AA (which I really can't do without).

Edited by Hippo

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

Indeed. Thanks for reply. What sort of performance can you get on the Rift S?

I didn't tried that yet, just installed the Beta today after seeing Vulkan is live for that sim. I will try it later.

EDIT:

I tried it with my Rift S, over Hamburg city and less populated countryside of northern germany my fps were locked at 40, some minor drops to 38 or so - i had to watch the framecounter on the mirrored screen. Very impressive if i recall my first VR test a year ago or so, that was very poor performance and stuttering with very reduced details. But now there is nearly no stuttering, every thing feels absolutly smooth, the only glitch i noticed are the water reflections in VR flash and glitch with the head movement(fast).

But like others already said, the openGL engine is not a very perfomant to begin with and nobody knows how significant the performance improvement for DCS will be(DX to Vulkan).

Edited by unknown

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

To be fair, they used OpenGL before switching to Vulkan, not DX11. OpenGL is kinda low on the totem pole to begin with, and huge gains going to Vulkan make sense. Not sure if we can expect to see those from DX11 to Vulkan...

Oh i didn’t know it was OpenGL.That makes sense now.Thank you

I think ray tracing is gonna be big in the future, and ED might look in to it in the future. Imagine cockpit global illumination and reflections being ray traced. It would look really good. The fake reflections that we have now would be greatly improved. The fake shadows are quite alright tho.

I didn't tried that yet, just installed the Beta today after seeing Vulkan is live for that sim. I will try it later.

EDIT:

I tried it with my Rift S, over Hamburg city and less populated countryside of northern germany my fps were locked at 40, some minor drops to 38 or so - i had to watch the framecounter on the mirrored screen. Very impressive if i recall my first VR test a year ago or so, that was very poor performance and stuttering with very reduced details. But now there is nearly no stuttering, every thing feels absolutly smooth, the only glitch i noticed are the water reflections in VR flash and glitch with the head movement(fast).

But like others already said, the openGL engine is not a very perfomant to begin with and nobody knows how significant the performance improvement for DCS will be(DX to Vulkan).

I tried in VR but my right eye is black.

I saw it as a known bug for amd cards, but i have a nvidia one.

Strange.

The performance seems not bad anyway.

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Just saw a vid by VR flight sim guy on YT . While he generally prefers the Reverb for simming , he found that the Rift S is better with that Vulkan sim . He thinks it is because the higher res of the 'verb in combination with Vulkan's greater demands on gpu memory overtaxed the gpu .

Running a 1080ti .

Sure hope more gpu memory will be available in the non-ti versions of 3xxx .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Just check web/youtube for integrated Vulkan API for one of the civilian sims on the market.

They say the performance gains are almost %50. No stuttering no hick ups. I wish ED could make this priority one.

I tried to not give any brands in order to not break the forum rules. You will have to make an easy guess for it, as there are not so many options.

100% for AMD Cards.

Almost every game that integrated Vulkan over DX11/10/OpenGL has seen GCN and rDNA1.0 Cards double their FPS.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

To be fair, they used OpenGL before switching to Vulkan, not DX11. OpenGL is kinda low on the totem pole to begin with, and huge gains going to Vulkan make sense. Not sure if we can expect to see those from DX11 to Vulkan...

OpenGL and DirectX 9/10/11 are both in the same class.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

100% for AMD Cards.

Almost every game that integrated Vulkan over DX11/10/OpenGL has seen GCN and rDNA1.0 Cards double their FPS.

Geez , that's gonna complicate my gpu upgrade :)

BTW , thanks for that most useful updater utility . I used it often , and will again when 2.56 is fixed .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Geez , that's gonna complicate my gpu upgrade :)

BTW , thanks for that most useful updater utility . I used it often , and will again when 2.56 is fixed .

Wait for rDNA2 Cards in a few months.

Even the Mid Level ones will perform better than the current ones.

I think RDNA 2 will be my next choiche. Hopefully vulkan will eventually be the standard.

Vulkan will not take over 100% of the market.

Microsoft has DX12 Ultimate.

And most Shooters and AAA Titles will use it because if they are using DX12 Ultimate and MS Visual Studio 2019. They will no longer have to compile two separate code paths to switch between Windows 10 and Xbox.

Windows 10 after XBSX Launch, will update to DX12 Ultimate, and It will detect your hardware, and compare it to Xbox One, Xbox One X, or Xbox Series X.

From there all Xbox Games will be able to play on both PC and all 3 Xbox Consoles.

Why? Because Console Manufacturers lose money on the hardware / systems and make their money on the software licenses etc.

So if MS can unify Xbox and Windows, they will open Xbox Titles to being sold to the billions of PC Gamers as well.

Just saw a vid by VR flight sim guy on YT . While he generally prefers the Reverb for simming , he found that the Rift S is better with that Vulkan sim . He thinks it is because the higher res of the 'verb in combination with Vulkan's greater demands on gpu memory overtaxed the gpu .

Running a 1080ti .

Sure hope more gpu memory will be available in the non-ti versions of 3xxx .

8GB of VRAM get easily maxed out by DCS with a Reverb, not even using the highest possible settings which pushes VRAM usage up. I have no 2080Ti but I wouldn't doubt you can also or almost max out the 12GB of a 2080Ti. When buying a new card for DCS Reverb VR no one should aim for less than 12GB on VRAM if he can.

Having a 1000W PSU, I hope one "Big Navi" card will be a dual GPU card so you will have a Crossfire performance plus in DCS VR without original Crossfire or SLI even officially working in DCS VR.

Edited by Der Hirte

8GB of VRAM get easily maxed out by DCS with a Reverb, not even using the highest possible settings which pushes VRAM usage up. I have no 2080Ti but I wouldn't doubt you can also or almost max out the 12GB of a 2080Ti. When buying a new card for DCS Reverb VR no one should aim for less than 12GB on VRAM if he can.

Having a 1000W PSU, I hope one "Big Navi" card will be a dual GPU card so you will have a Crossfire performance plus in DCS VR without original Crossfire or SLI even officially working in DCS VR.

Yeah , i don't plan on getting a Reverb (WMR-meh and qc) , but in any case will be looking for more vram in my next card to prepare for Vulkan and a possible Oculus headset upgrade .

How is your AMD gpu doing ? Still happy with it ?

Crossfire / SLi support is Dead.

Lisa Su said that AMD will not support XFire on New GPUs After GCN, and nVidia already removed SLi from RTX.

Both RTX and Navi Support Communication through the PCIe Bus now.

So there's no point in having them support old tech. SLi and XFire were showing almost 10 years ago when Multi-Screen Configurations started becoming popular.

DX12 and Vulkan both support Resource Pooling natively,

DirectX 12 via explicit multi-GPU support and Vulkan via

Yes still running good, but waiting for the next generation cards, I'm hoping the panic doesn't push the release date too far ... My 5700XT was always just a temporary solution to have the simulator on years end and support AMD.

I had no faith in getting DCS using SLI or Crossfire in VR anyway in the near future, so I'm hoping for a dual GPU graphics card with two GPUs on one card, which is not SLI or Crossfire per definition but still a big surplus on performance. This might start to get into PCIe Generation 4 territory, which I have a slot on the board for. In this instance I wouldn't care about power usage as long as it delivers the performance. Imagine the performance jump having one GPU handling one eye and the other core the other eye display, not yet talking about Vulkan.

Edited by Der Hirte

They will surpass a 2080ti with ease. xD i know that sounds like fanboyism but its not. Think about ps5 has 2.23ghz clockspeed and said that it can go even faster than that if it were not limited by the console power limit.

And we know that they will go past 64 CU's. And amd said rdna 2 has an IPC gain and another 50% improvement in power to performance. But rdna 2 is not going to compete with the 2080ti, its going to compete with the 3080ti. If amd's top card beats the 3080ti then nvidia will probably release a 3090 xD. Greedy nvidia.