Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

33 minutes ago, Gryzor said:

We will see DCS 3.0 with Vulkan implementation? what advantages Vulkan will bring to us?

You find good explanation by general benefits of the Vulkan just with youtube search and checking AMD videos.

What it does for DCS is unknown, and everyone is waiting either miracle or then just accepting that there can come some improvements and hold to see it...

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• ED Team
6 hours ago, Gryzor said:

We will see DCS 3.0 with Vulkan implementation? what advantages Vulkan will bring to us?

It will be a big step, so I would expect a number change, we will confirm that when we get closer towards the end of the year if all goes to plan

6 hours ago, Fri13 said:

What it does for DCS is unknown, and everyone is waiting either miracle or then just accepting that there can come some improvements and hold to see it...

Yes unknown at the moment, until it can be fully tested, performance is bound to depend on pc specs, no matter how you dress up a potato, it is still a potato . . . 🙂

• Like 4

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

42 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

no matter how you dress up a potato, it is still a potato . . . 🙂

Ok, that's it, Martin-Marietta X24A confirmed as the next full fidelity module from ED (a.k.a. "the Flying Potato"). 

1HK-hu7eitUbIIhL0dVmI5jp_mVpyur4Au-54ppV

Just joking of course. 😄 Great to see that ED is on track for those engine improvements and thanks for keeping us in the loop, even if it is to say that work continues as planned. And as a G2 user yourself @BIGNEWY I am sure you are as eager as the rest of us to feed those two hungry 2160x2160 panels with a lot of flying sim goodness @90Hz (yes, I am a dreamer).

Edited by Qiou87
  • Like 1

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

9 minutes ago, avgyst said:

Are there any VR improvements in Update 2.7?

Wow! No need to shout :tongue:

Not sure exactly what you mean by VR improvements..

• Yes, you can expect graphics improvements (new clouds :cheer3nc:)
  • No, you should probably not expect performance improvements, but ED said the new eye candy shouldn't cause too much negative impact on performance

Let's wait and see. Not long now 😉

Edited by sirrah

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

One big improvement would be to see the same cloud in both eyes at the same time. Right now when you turn your head, some clouds pop in/out of existence in each eye, which makes small "cotton" clouds very displeasing to watch. I'll be happy with just that fixed.

• Like 4

AMD R7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3200MHz | RTX 4080S 16GB | Varjo Aero | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk3 + STECS + pedals

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/17/2021 at 9:35 AM, slowmover said:

I can say i want more to see Vulkan alive rather than Apache.I hope when it will be released to have all time stable 40fps at VR.This will be a huge improvement for me.

You know, with how awesome the Hind is, I kind of agree here. I’d love multi-core and Vulcan. The sooner the better. But, I suspect the Core Dev and Module devs are different teams, so holding a module up the Apache would be pointless. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

i’m very hopeful for Q3. Multi-core first though. At least IMO.

Edited by RenegadeSkip
Added Apache specification
  • Like 1

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

16 minutes ago, RenegadeSkip said:

You know, with how awesome the Hind is, I kind of agree here. I’d love multi-core and Vulcan. The sooner the better. But, I suspect the Core Dev and Module devs are different teams, so holding a module up the Apache would be pointless. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

i’m very hopeful for Q3. Multi-core first though. At least IMO.

Vulcan and multi-core has building by the core team on the main office studio on Moscow, has other team on Minsk (Bielorussia) centred on map engine and map building . The modern modules has builded by the old "Belsimtek" team on other study outside Moscow. The main office has the WW2 team and other teams as Supercarrier, Dinamic Campaign team, etc. Has other personal, outside the studios, to make AI and other stuff.

Edited by Silver_Dragon
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver_Dragon said:

Vulcan and multi-core has building by the core team on the main office studio on Moscow, has other team on Minsk (Bielorussia) centred on map engine and map building . The modern modules has builded by the old "Belsimtek" team on other study outside Moscow. The main office has the WW2 team and other teams as Supercarrier, Dinamic Campaign team, etc. Has other personal, outside the studios, to make AI and other stuff.

Bingo. Exactly what I thought. Thank you for the clarity.

So yep, Apache will be a day 1 buy for me, whenever it gets here, regardless of core updates. Can’t wait for 3.0 (assuming we go up a generation when they come)! 

If speed is death…, buy a Honda and live forever.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I lowered my MSAA to 2x at Full HD resolution and my VGA GTX 1070 was downgraded from recomended to minimum requirement after DCS 2.7.

I expect to see the Vulkan API implemented this year to get better looking and good performace soon.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D MOBO: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-E MEM: Kingston FURY Renegade 64GB DDR5 5200MHz SSD: Kingstone Fury Renegade NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 4TB GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4090 OC CASE: Cooler Master TD500 Mesh WATER COOLER: Cooler Master Master Liquid ML360 Illusion HT: TrackIR 5 VR: HP Reverb G2 V2 HOTAS: TM HOTAS Warthog RUDDER: TPR Rudder Pedals GRIP: TM F/A-18C GRIP WHEELS: Logitech G27 OS: Win 11 Pro SIMS: DCS World, Falcon BMS, IL-2 Sturmovik, MSFS2020, Arma 3, Assetto Corsa.

Q3 Does not always mean July-August-September,

Companies often use offset fiscal calenders.

On 8/28/2021 at 1:02 PM, 72Stu said:

Many game teams are in the process of ditching DX, thankfully! Vulkan and Gen 12 can't come soon enough to DCS and Star Citizen. 

I'm hoping Linux will be an option after the switch. 

While the graphics engine will be Vulkan, the Core of DCS still uses Parts of Windows Libraries and functions.

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

5 hours ago, SkateZilla said:

Eagle Dynamics have so far never used offset fiscal calendars. If this is no longer the case, wouldn't that be something that should be communicated prominently? 

• Like 2

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 9/23/2021 at 2:34 PM, SkateZilla said:

While the graphics engine will be Vulkan, the Core of DCS still uses Parts of Windows Libraries and functions.

Yes, but it enables a scrub like me with an old PC be able to squeeze much more FPS out of the game than now, and anything is a grab right now brother. 🥺

8 hours ago, 72Stu said:

Yes, but it enables a scrub like me with an old PC be able to squeeze much more FPS out of the game than now, and anything is a grab right now brother. 🥺

Until GPU Prices come down, I'm going to ride it out with my R7970 Lightnings OC'd.

If i iNeed RTX I have my Laptop w/ RTX3060, but I even with my R7970 I can still fly in DCS with 30FPS Locked.

• Like 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

5 hours ago, Bladigan said:

Any news about this please?

I tried getting a CM to respond to the announced Q3 almost being over, but got nothing except for the usual "when we have news to share, we will".

People will keep speculating and asking questions until a statement is made that's more along the lines of:

- "Vulkan is close to ready but internal testing showed we need a little more time";

or:

- "Due to unforeseen issues we had to stop working on Vulkan for a while. Work has resumed but we won't make Q3. When we have more news to share, we will."

or:

- "Implementing Vulkan has proven to be even more complicated than we had foreseen. We want to take our time doing it properly, so we'll have to postpone until 2022."

People do understand if announced features won't make the deadline (stuff happens), but an official statement (in just 1 sentence) would be nice 🙂

Edited by Raven (Elysian Angel)
typo
  • Like 7
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset