Vulkan API Discussion

snowsniper

I know this is not a fair comparison, however X-Plane has released their Vulkan Beta. Using a 2080 Super, I'm getting an increase of just over 5% FPS. X-Plane indicated that Nvidia users weren't going to see a huge increase in performance. AMD users are reporting a bit more in performance based on what I've read in the XP forums. Again, for whatever this is worth. I wouldn't expect Vulkan to be the game changer some folks are hoping for.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

Pretty impressive on my side.

My little test starting at Hamburg Finkenwerder direction north to the city, turning east to fly along river Elbe with the river and all the buildings and trees, clouds and a little fog visible(200-400ft heigt).

OpenGL: 25 on runway, on flight 20-26

Vulkan: 45 on runway, on flight 38 -46

Details, nearly maxed out, only AA is not maxed out, 3440x1440

I know this is not a fair comparison, however X-Plane has released their Vulkan Beta. Using a 2080 Super, I'm getting an increase of just over 5% FPS. X-Plane indicated that Nvidia users weren't going to see a huge increase in performance. AMD users are reporting a bit more in performance based on what I've read in the XP forums. Again, for whatever this is worth. I wouldn't expect Vulkan to be the game changer some folks are hoping for.

Interesting how different the experiences can be

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

Depends . Doesn't sound like 8 gig Vram is gonna cut it any more , at least with 4k or VR .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

my concerns about Vulkan are that the FPS-improvement with 4k resolution from DX11 to Vulkan does not look that good as with 1080p. And since future VR will not compare to 1080 but to 4k and above I don't have too much hope yet. Just hoping this is WIP and future graphic adapters will profit more from Vulkan or DX12 then the actual ones do.

You really need to check that you installed the beta, then clicked the checkbox for Vulkan. My 1080 ti ftw3 with i7-8700k at 4.8ghz setup got a 50% increase in framerates in VR. Many AMD cards are seeing way more than that.

DCS is an amazing game, but the need for Vulkan and other engine related changes can't be understated. We still need to address the multicore CPU usage as the norm almost every year is increasing the core count. Vulkan will help to balance the load to the GPU, but for this game to continue in the next decade, it needs to get on par with the new age.

I know what's in the works, atleast according to rumors, for the next AMD cards. But NVidia won't sit idly by without releasing newer and stronger cards themselves, too. Only the benchmarks will tell.

nVidia already has Cards they wont release unless AMD Pushes them.

1. Because they cost too much to fab.

2. Because the retail cost will be high

So.. If AMD Pulls off a Home Run w/ rDNA2 and Beats RTX2080 and RTX3080, even by 10% or less.

nVidia will give the Go Ahead to Fab the bigger die and sell it for 2x-4x the RTX3080 Price.

It dont matter to them how many they sell, because they will claim they have the fastest GFX Card, and People will flock to their products just because.

They would literally sell hundreds more RTX3080/3070/3060s Just because they have the Fastest GPU, and only sell maybe a few dozen of those super cards to end users.

There's a Reason they have Huge Dies and Core Counts for AI/Super Computers/CGI and those cards are kept in the professional market and not labeled as gaming cards.

They Cost too much, and the Price to Performance for gaming is not favorable for anyone that's not backed by a corporation.

Matter of fact, RTX Titan.

2499.99 MSRP, 24GB, 4608 CUDA, 72 RT Cores

Edited by SkateZilla

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

Ur exactly right skatezilla. Many of my pc gamer friends who dont know mich about pc hardware are only considering intel and nvidia, even though they dont know anything about intel, nvidia or cpu's and gpu's in general. And yet they want intel amd nvidia! Its really crazy. And when i try to explain them they think im ignorant xD. I really hope rdna 2 is a good card, maybe then my friends will think otherwise. But rdna 2 is defenitelly gonna beat the 2080ti, thats what i believe.

DCS is an amazing game, but the need for Vulkan and other engine related changes can't be understated. We still need to address the multicore CPU usage as the norm almost every year is increasing the core count. Vulkan will help to balance the load to the GPU, but for this game to continue in the next decade, it needs to get on par with the new age.

So true!

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 2 months later...

How is that status report from the Vulkan team going? @BIGNEWY

Can you guus share some info on progress, improvements or otherwise yet? You mentioned they might be ready to share some info a while ago.

The Flying Kiwis (TFK)

Ryzen 5600X on water, RX6800, 32GB 3200, m.2 boot, 2TB EVO,  Rift S, Warthog HOTAS + TFRP, flight chair with bass shakers.

AH-64D || A-10IIC || F/A-18C || UH-1 || F-16C || Mig-29 || Spitfire mk.ix || Fw190A8 || Fw190D9 || P-51D || Ka-50 || Mi-8 || Mi-24P || bf109k-4 || P-47 || Mosquito || Combined Arms

Persian Gulf || Normandy || Nevada || Syria

Supercarrier || NS430

Vulkan changed VR in my X-Plane 11 from unusable 20fps stutter to a super smooth 80Hz (Index) running at 300% super resolution. Same hardware, nvidia card. It just shows how ridiculously underused the modern hardware has been in flight simulators.

As much as I love DCS and it's quality add-ons, I will have to wait for the Vulkan update to make further purchases, as I only fly in VR. If the improvement from Vulkan API in DCS is going to be anything like in X-Plane, it's going to be good times!

Vulkan changed VR in my X-Plane 11 from unusable 20fps stutter to a super smooth 80Hz (Index) running at 300% super resolution. Same hardware, nvidia card. It just shows how ridiculously underused the modern hardware has been in flight simulators.

As much as I love DCS and it's quality add-ons, I will have to wait for the Vulkan update to make further purchases, as I only fly in VR. If the improvement from Vulkan API in DCS is going to be anything like in X-Plane, it's going to be good times!

That won't happen bc X-plane used openGL before Vulkan. DCS is directx11. So the improvement will not be the same.

That won't happen bc X-plane used openGL before Vulkan. DCS is directx11. So the improvement will not be the same.

Thats a good point. But I think ED should do everything possible to gain performance. And they should not underestimate the amount of players, playing DCS because of the vR support. I came from the "other" simulator to DCS just because in DCS I can actually sit in the aircraft in VR and not watch a flat screen. But the supercarrier module is currrently unplayable in VR.

Thats a good point. But I think ED should do everything possible to gain performance. And they should not underestimate the amount of players, playing DCS because of the vR support. I came from the "other" simulator to DCS just because in DCS I can actually sit in the aircraft in VR and not watch a flat screen. But the supercarrier module is currrently unplayable in VR.
I'm sure ED knows VR is the future and is here to stay.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Can't agree more. In fact the first thing I saw of DCS was thru the lenses of a HTC Vive some years ago. A friend said there is a free flight sim to test VR with... and here I am.

The point is, I would spend money on any component needed to make DCS run smoothly in VR. But this component I need, does just not exist (yet). A processor with 10 gHz single core spreed and an incredible BUS speed maybe. This is why I think vulkan or whatever is needed to make DCS use the cores more efficient should be the highest priority instead of producing content like the super carrier which I just can enjoy on my flat monitor instead of my immersive VR headset. My system with the Pimax is definitely CPU bottlenecked which I found out in several tests.

Edited by darkman222

The point is, I would spend money on any component needed to make DCS run smoothly in VR. But this component I need, does just not exist (yet). A processor with 10 gHz single core spreed and an incredible BUS speed maybe. This is why I think vulkan or whatever is needed to make DCS use the cores more efficient should be the highest priority instead of producing content like the super carrier which I just can enjoy on my flat monitor instead of my immersive VR headset. My system with the Pimax is definitely CPU bottlenecked which I found out in several tests.

no doubt VR in DCS will profit significantly from Vulkan - both with FPS and stutter. VR in DCS will profit from new graphic cards this year and form dev's further optimization. The future of VR in DCS has never been looking as bright as today, imho.

Maybe ED will soon announce DCS 3.0 with Vulkan onboard

Soooon... 2 more years man.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).