AIM-120 for the Hornet

FistofZen

So if the Hornet's HUD symbology is anything like the Super Hornet (and it's been identical so far) then what we'll get is a counter that appears before the time to go counter in the same place - first it'll show 'ACT X' counting down and then once it's gone active it'll show 'TTG X'. Currently we've just got the TTG counter, so hopefully we'll get the ACT counter later this month.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they will provide detailed instruction of the aim120 cause this info is classified in the real world,like all the others weapons systems and tactical employment, and this fact make me think that we will newer receive a complete and realistic aim120 or other weapon system cause ED didn't have this info .... someone could give us some explanations about this ?

I hope I'M wrong

AIM-120

Has anyone noticed how close you need to be to a target, before you get a "shoot" Que? I thought the AIM-120 was a medium to long range weapon?

I never get the Shoot symbol until I am 6 to 7 nm from target

" I Know You Understand What You Think I Said...But I Am Not Sure You Realize... That What You Heard....Is Probably.... Not What I Meant. ":pilotfly:

Has anyone noticed how close you need to be to a target, before you get a "shoot" Que? I thought the AIM-120 was a medium to long range weapon?

I never get the Shoot symbol until I am 6 to 7 nm from target

Not correctly implemented into sim I guess

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's exactly the same as the F-15's AIM-120. Currently you have to be in stt to launch, but you can immediately cancel lock and the missile will still guide. So no, it isn't just a reskinned sparrow. As for range, it all depends on altitude. It does seem much too short, but that's true for nearly all AA missiles in game.

System specs: i5-10600k (4.9 GHz), RX 6950XT, 32GB DDR4 3200, NVMe SSD, Reverb G2, WinWing Super Libra/Taurus, CH Pro Pedals.

It's exactly the same as the F-15's AIM-120. Currently you have to be in stt to launch, but you can immediately cancel lock and the missile will still guide. So no, it isn't just a reskinned sparrow. As for range, it all depends on altitude. It does seem much too short, but that's true for nearly all AA missiles in game.
Stt? In the F15 the normal procedure is a launch from a TWS lock. Why would you want to alert the enemy RWR of a launch?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Stt? In the F15 the normal procedure is a launch from a TWS lock. Why would you want to alert the enemy RWR of a launch?

They meant the missile was the same ;)

As for the reason to use STT, the TWS we'll get in the hornet will be way more realistic, and maybe not as overpowered as the current arcadey instant kill-them-all implementation of the F-15. Not even mentionning what jamming will do to the TWS ;)

Edited by 92nd-MajorBug
92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

I don’t know how it’s done in the real FA-18C. But if the F-16 is anything to go by, the AIM-120 is quite incomplete at this stage, granted it’s early access. ED will probably explain soon the details of how the AIM-120 will be completed in the FA-18C.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

F-18 Aim-120 Pitbull

Since the amraam has been implemented I cannot find any symbolology, or other indicator that displayes when the missiles starts active tracking.

Surely the F/A-18C has this featured otherwise I may as well be throwing sparrows or am I just missing something? I am fairly confident it does go pitbull at some point because hostile AI rarely go defensive the moment I fire it.

Could still be early work for the aim120b. We all do expect more information from ED.

Find more discuss on the thread link below

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums%2Eeagle%2Eru%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D217161&share_tid=217161&share_fid=74365&share_type=t

Edited by Eaglewings

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

I love the fact that there is an 18 page long thread discussing this only 2 threads below this one. There is non yet and people cant seem to make up their mind on what it should look like. Time will tell.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

• ED Team

AIM-120 implementation is still very preliminary. However, for the 15 August update, we plan for it to be complete with the following:

1- Guidance times (HUD and RADAR) for ACT and TTG.

2- Correct visual mode with cage/uncage function, SL time, and correct off the rail guidance.

On a related matter, our missile engineer is currently focused on the AIM-7, but following that, he will re-visit AIM-120 guidance laws and flight dynamics.

Thanks!

AIM-120 implementation is still very preliminary. However, for the 15 August update, we plan for it to be complete with the following:

1- Guidance times (HUD and RADAR) for ACT and TTG.

2- Correct visual mode with cage/uncage function, SL time, and correct off the rail guidance.

On a related matter, our missile engineer is currently focused on the AIM-7, but following that, he will re-visit AIM-120 guidance laws and flight dynamics.

Thanks!

Thanks Wags. This clear the air about the state of the Aim120 missile as it is currently in the Hornet.

Looking forward to further work on the aim120 and other features coming.

Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

Thanks Wags :)

The updated flight dynamics of the AIM-7 will also greatly benefit the upcoming F-14 module! :thumbup:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

F18 amraams question

Does anyone know how to fire the amraams with launch authorization override?

Like when ur in the f15 and u hit lalt+w and u can lauch the amraams without a radar lock and it goes and hits the first thing it can find?

How do I do this in the hornet?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

That possibly would be using visual acquisition mode(Boresight). Not currently in the present aim120. Wags promised we have that mode in the next update. 15th of August.

That possibly would be using visual acquisition mode(Boresight). Not currently in the present aim120. Wags promised we have that mode in the next update. 15th of August.

Thanks for the reply. What I'm looking for is essentially a mode where I can even turn off my radar but still launch the amraams and have the onboard missile radar do the work for me.

Which means theoretically it wouldn't be a aacq or ACM modes or anything like that as they're all technically radar modes

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

HP OMEN 880-130 - Windows 10/Intel Core i7-8700K/2TB HDD/ 1TB SSD/32GB DDR4 RAM/GTX 1080 Ti

In visual launch mode, the missile uses its own radar to acquire and guide to target..

In visual launch mode, the missile uses its own radar to acquire and guide to target..

Ok maybe I'm missing something here when u say visual launch mode? Ur refering to what? The aacq?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The visual Acquisition mode (Boresight mode) is yet to be implemented in any case but based your question which technically asked for a mode that you would not need to use the primary aircraft radar, I believe you can get this capability by using the Visual mode which relies basically on the small radar seeker of the missile.

The visual mode would be commanded by uncaging/cage function and this will lock any aircraft in 15 degree azimuth of the missile radar.

The aacq mode from the much I know still depend on the aircraft radar with sensor control switch right.

Time to active mean time count down before missile becomes active after the missile leaves the launch platform. Active in this sense is when the missile guidance comes from the little radar on this missile. Before Time to active, missile would receive telemetry guidance from the aircraft.

Another word is time to pit ball. Point where the aircraft can break lock and decide to steer away in case there is an incoming missile.

Time to Go (TTG) is post-launch time to go represent the remaining time of flight before missile impact.

Edited by Eaglewings