Looking for some help with building a PC for DCS

Hello. I would like to build a new PC, specifically with playing DCS in mind, but I don't really know enough about pairing up diffirent PC parts to make it do what, I'm affraid.

What I'm looking for is a PC build that can run DCS in maxed out graphics. I don't really care about aesthetics or other stuff, I just want it to work. I'm not really sure how much it would costs, but people have told me that it could be done for about 1.5 K. Is that true?

I've already spoken to someone about this, and he threw me the parts he was using, wich are the following:

- AMD 990fx pro tuf 3.0 mother board

- AMD fx 8570 CPU

- 2x EVGA 1070 TI GPU

- 32 GB RAM

What I like about this is that I could just start this out with one GPU, if I'm tight on cash, and have a working PC again, to then buy the other one later.

But I don't know if there are any negatives to running twin GPU's.

So do you think that this would be enough for running DCS on max graphics?

Or do you maybe think that there is a better / more cost effective build for doing so?

I would love to hear!

The AMD fx 8570 is a processor from 2014 ... there are much better choices these days, for example the AMD Ryzen 1600 has a similar list price but is a processor from 2017 with 30% higher performance.

On the subject of dual graphics cards, I understand that DCS doesnt take much advantage of them, unlike other games ... If a dual card setup was really much better than a single one, you can be sure there would be a lot of people on this Forum using such a setup.

On my case, rather than adding a second gtx970 to my rig, I’m going to sell my card on the used market and replace her with a gtx1070ti

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Thanks for the reccomendations!

But another thing. Could anyone perhaps also tell me a bit about avoiding bottlenecks?

I know that a bottleneck means that scertain parts aren't working at their full potential, because other parts are slowing them down. But how do I prevent them?

Typical bottlenecks..

1. CPU IPC (Instructions per cycle)= Newer generations of CPUs typically perform more instructions per cycle than older CPUs. Raw speed in Ghz is important, but IPC AND Ghz is what you want.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

2a. RAM = You want the fastest RAM your CPU and Motherboard will support. The faster the data moves between the CPU and RAM, the better the system performance.

2b. = Having more RAM means you system can load more game/app files into RAM. RAM is exponentially faster than HDD storage. If you system has to keep moving files out of RAM to make room for new files, it will be swapping with space on the hard drive. Swapping/paging out to the HDD excessively will result in slower system performance.

3. Drive storage = Games/Apps have to move from your hard drive and into RAM to be used. The faster the HDD, the better your games/apps will perform. SSD drives are ideal for gaming.

CPU: nothing quad core. You better have at LEAST 6 cores 12 Threads. Like 2600X, 8700K, 2700 (X or non X) will be fine.

GFX: nothing below 1080 from NVIDIA. Although a Vega 52 or 64 will work well but the extra power requirement and heat makes them not recommended IMHO. Cheaper alternate: 1070Ti

RAM: 32GB of 3200Mhz memory (see if you can afford 4 8 GB sticks at 3600 for the Ryzen machine)

Storage: Any SSD with 512GB

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Ah. So the best way of preventing bottlenecks then is to make shure that there isn't a large diffirence between the speeds at wich the components operate.

Yes, but do not compare MHz to MHz across devices like CPU<-->GPU, not even between CPUs from AMD and Intel.

What counts is if your CPU can feed your GPU and if your GPU then is powerful enough for your choosen resolution and LOD ( level of detail ) to deliver enough fps ( 60 fps is the low threshold for fluent gameplay as a rule of thumb )

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The speed of different components cannot be compared. It's a question of reading enough reviews that the best cpu+gpu matchmaking will reveal itself. Sometimes memory speed comes in that equation but is less important (no matter what speed you choose always consult the manufacturer qualified vendor list to make sure the memory kits are compatible) . Any ssd will give you enough speed, it's a question of picking the best deal and warranty.

[sigpic]http://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic4448_29.gif[/sigpic]

My PC specs below:

Case: Corsair 400C

PSU: SEASONIC SS-760XP2 760W Platinum

CPU: AMD RYZEN 3900X (12C/24T)

RAM: 32 GB 4266Mhz (two 2x8 kits) of trident Z RGB @3600Mhz CL 14 CR=1T

MOBO: ASUS CROSSHAIR HERO VI AM4

GFX: GTX 1080Ti MSI Gaming X

Cooler: NXZT Kraken X62 280mm AIO

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB M.2+6GB WD 6Gb red

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog + CH pro pedals

Monitor: Gigabyte AORUS AD27QD Freesync HDR400 1440P

Having a good motherboard would also help tie in all these great components and don't skimp on the power supply that feeds all these components. I spent the extra on the motherboard and power to make sure it was a nice stable system from the start. I could have saved around $250 not doing it, but it would have been much harder to push the system to where I wanted it, for (Flight Simming) one the most punishing things you can do on a PC. I think for VR the motherboard can be even more important possibly?

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link