Additional weapons for AV-8B

DaveRindner

The AGM-88 can't be carried or fired for much the same reason that AGM-84Ds can't.

Incompatible pylon/launchers, no software/electronics integration, no testing, and no money.

AGM-88s (both HARM and AARGM) are fired from LAU-118s, which the Harrier does not carry.

The Harrier II+ was, however, integrated with LAU-127s for use with AIM-120s.

Adding the outrigger pylons from which to fire AIM-9 Sidewinders would be far more palatable than any of the other options. Although the Marine Corps doesn't use them, all the wiring and software is still there. The only reason the Marine Corps decided not to use them is because of the risk of popping an outrigger tire with the missile exhaust, which could inhibit FARP operations or get planes stuck in the field where a spare wasn't readily available (the Brits never FARPed).

Considering the AGM-122 is already a fantasy-land "break glass in case of emergency" "we have all these spare missiles laying around" weapon and was never operationally used, I don't think outrigger pylons would be that far-fetched. The only problem though is a lack of documentation on system symbology.

• Like 1

I tried it against KUB(SA-6) illuminator. Its use is so similar to AIM-9M , I am wondering if that is how RAZBAM interpreted it for ease of use.

Master Arm: ON

Master Mode: AG

Select AGM-122

Point nose at SAM site

Uncage Sidearm seeker.

The tone goes loud and high pitch, the seeker symbol slides to hostile illuminator.

Fire!

I don't know what DECM does and how. I have MiniJammer mapped to my HOTAS. But I break, go low, pop countermeasures like Dean Martin poped martinis, and hope for the best. Thankfully, I find that in DCS AV-8B, KUB(SA-6) and SA-8 don't track AV-8B at high side angles. SA-9 and SA-13 are susceptible to flares. So as long as hostile missile is on 9'ish or 3'ish, and chaff/flares are popped massively, they miss mostly. But TOR (SA-15), Tonguska(SA-19), and BUK(SA-11) with SnowDrift illuminator, are a death sentence. ECM, chaff, flares, they don't care. Like a pack of rabid pirahnas! No escape. If I hear a deedle with either of those, that means that missile is in the air, and unless I am lucky to have a convenient terrain mask to duck into, my Harrier is toasted. Best to let AI F-16 with HARMS to take care of the SEAD. S300PMU(SA-10) in DCS is really dangerous, but at 100 agl, there is a good chance of escape. I don't think any ECM pod in DCS , is effective against S300. Only high speed, high aspect angle, and low rock shaving AGL can save you. In open sea against Moskva, niyet comrade! No matter what I do, the naval S300 on Moskva is a certain death. If it is launched.

I can't find any pics of a harrier carrying and or firing a Harm or Harpoon missile.

That goes with the Sea Eagle as well.

Sea Harrier FRS.1 with Sea Eagle:

https://defenceoftherealm.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/seaharrierandseaeagle.jpg

https://defenceoftherealm.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/f18-nick-taylor-2.jpg

Definitely no Harpoon or HARM for any variant of Harrier as far as I know.

GR.1 is a First-gen Harrier, while the AV-8B is a second-gen. They're really not the same plane at all. I say this not to step on you, Lordzarj, but just in case there's calls for adding the Sea Eagle to the AV-8B.

And yeah, no Harpoon. As I posted above, it *may* have been qualified for it, but it's unknown and there are no references to it, and the USMC was completely uninterested in doing so. If it was ever done, it was to satisfy the Spanish and Italian harriers. HARM seems right out.

Thanks for sharing the pictures nonetheless! I've only seen drawings of the Sea Eagle, so these were neat to see. I think the Royal Navy retired them though, yeah?

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

Regarding HARM, I haven't seen anything at all regarding it. HARM requires the HTS anyways though, yeah? I'd think that would be a lot farther fetched than AIM-120 or AGM-84 employment.

No, HTS makes it more efficient on F-16CJ.

But a lot of fighters were qualified for AGM-88 without the HTS, starting with the Hornet, but also A-6E, A-7 and even on F-16 HTS is optional :music_whistling:

Other planes use/ used others emitter locating system (F-4G, Tornado ECR, EA-6B Prowler, EA-18G Growler).

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

Wikipedia article on AV-8B does state B61 as a store. But it is Wikipedia. However our DCS AV-8B can do without tactical nukes. RN bombs on Mig-21Bis module are enough. The more we stay away from that topic the better.

Wikipedia also says it can carry Harpoons...

I'll take the word of Tech orders over the experts of Wikipedia everyday of the week.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Thanks for sharing the pictures nonetheless! I've only seen drawings of the Sea Eagle, so these were neat to see. I think the Royal Navy retired them though, yeah?

Yeah, they were retired early 2000s before the Sea Harrier itself was retired. The Indian Navy used them too on their Sea Harriers, they may have kept them a bit longer.

There are not too many pics of them around, a few more in books. I guess due to their weight and cost they were not carried too much if you were operating from a carrier. You’d have to be pretty much 100% sure you were going to shoot it rather than jettison prior to landing.

No, HTS makes it more efficient on F-16CJ.

But a lot of fighters were qualified for AGM-88 without the HTS, starting with the Hornet, but also A-6E, A-7 and even on F-16 HTS is optional :music_whistling:

Other planes use/ used others emitter locating system (F-4G, Tornado ECR, EA-6B Prowler, EA-18G Growler).

Gotcha, I see that now. Thanks for the clarification!

Kozality

Vargar 1-2

107th JAS

http://throughtheinferno.com/

I suspect that AV-8B can carry a single B-61 on centerline . B-61 without doubt, need a LOFT weapon delivery. US Generals want flexibility in weapons deliveries, and having more platforms the better. Goes without saying that American F-16's regardless of block or variant can carry B-61 on centerline or wing stations. As to NATO allies Air Forces with F-16, Belgium , Norway, Turkey, Poland, Slovakia (in the future with Block 70), that is probably more complicated and is likely on a per nation status. Old school NATO, i.e. Western Europeans, F-16's are probably plumbed and wired for all the gadgets and doohickeys, needed for for PAL system integration with F-16 delivery. If American AV-8B can deliver B-61, and I suspect they do just in case, it is not a capability USMC or Boeing would discuss, and I don't think it belongs in a civilian sim.

With Harpoon, AV-8B N/A may carry it on inboard station, but it can't target it. The Plus variant with APG-65 radar (from F-18) possibly can carry it, and use it in anti-surface warfare. Navy's primary Harpoon platform are F/A-18E/F, legacy Hornets, P-8 Poseidon, and legacy P-3 Orion. That is for air-surface variant of Harpoon.

I ment the AV8 and maybe the GR series........ :doh:

Edited by joey45

The only way to make sense out of change is to plunge into it, move with it, and join the dance.

"Me, the 13th Duke of Wybourne, here on the ED forums at 3 'o' clock in the morning, with my reputation. Are they mad.."

https://ko-fi.com/joey45

• 2 weeks later...

the ab-8b can fire the harpoon and the sea eagle in bearing only mode. the missile will fly for a set distance then turn on it radar to find the ship and go from their. when the missile is on the rack or airplane there is no booster as the jet sustainer starts just before the missile is drop.

• 4 years later...

does anyone know if its possible to mod and add the BL755 cluster bomb to the harrier weapons inventory?

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Good question.

Three years ago I was building an ALARM mod from the AGM-122 (I renamed the seeker/weapon file and changed some parameters and added it to the harrier.lua something)
But this is not possible anymore, there is no more access to these files sadly, at least that I know of.

Was a blast to fly like this, 2 ALARM, 2 Tanks, 2 Aim-9, Jammer, UK skin... awesome, an this was not OP, you needed to know how to use it.
I would really love to fly more UK style but I can feel the Harrier is really a US bird.
GR.9, maybe even GR.7 is possible to role play, but with GR.5 it gets pretty hard.

Alias in Discord: Mailman

On 3/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

RAZBAM harrier has a US USMC harrier

is, not has

On 3/24/2023 at 2:05 PM, Silver_Dragon said:

no a GR.5/7/9 UK version

Thanks for pointing out. But seems like you are not reading what people ask, or what people talk about in general.
Instead you answer a question that was never asked, and what people already know.

To quote myself with some buzzwords:
- "I can feel the Harrier is really a US bird"
- "role play"
- "ALARM mod"

Or by westr:
- "possible to mod and add"

Alias in Discord: Mailman