F18 Keybinds after 07/18/18 Update

=4c=Nikola

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...if you have problem remembering where you mapped your buttons, maybe it is time to rethink your mapping or what is being mapped.

That may (or may not) be true. I could probably get my buttons and switches remapped fairly quickly, but the problem is going to be my axis settings like curves, saturation, dead zones, etc. I've experimented and made numerous little adjustments here and there over the past few weeks. I always backed up the profiles after each change I made, but I didn't write the settings down.

I did the update, but I think I'm just going to let it sit for now and hope they come up with a way soon to restore the control settings without having to manually remap. (I was really looking forward to trying out the ICLS though. :mad:)

Edited by scrapple

That may (or may not) be true. I could probably get my buttons and switches remapped fairly quickly, but the problem is going to be my axis settings like curves, saturation, dead zones, etc. I've experimented and made numerous little adjustments here and there over the past few weeks. I always backed up the profiles after each change I made, but I didn't write the settings down.

I did the update, but I think I'm just going to let it sit for now and hope they come up with a way soon to restore the control settings without having to manually remap. (I was really looking forward to trying out the ICLS though. :mad:)

Well, not only that, but if this is something we'll have to live with each future update, it would be nice to know that now.

In my opinion - it would be reasonable to expect that this is probably going to happen again at some stage.

It's a Beta WIP, commands will be added, perhaps re-named, etc, etc, and while the intention is for this not to cause disruptions, some changes are going to.

Even if it didn't happen, unless you're using a HOTAS that's pretty close to that in the aircraft, as new functions are added, you're probably going to want to change your profiles anyway - what looks like the best use of a particularly handy command may not be by the end of development.

Cheers.

In my opinion - it would be reasonable to expect that this is probably going to happen again at some stage.

It's a Beta WIP, commands will be added, perhaps re-named, etc, etc, and while the intention is for this not to cause disruptions, some changes are going to.

Even if it didn't happen, unless you're using a HOTAS that's pretty close to that in the aircraft, as new functions are added, you're probably going to want to change your profiles anyway - what looks like the best use of a particularly handy command may not be by the end of development.

Would be nice if we could restore them with our backups though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am also having this problem and then some. I can NOT look around at all. It has blocked the mouse column in view to bind the mouse to look around. It will also NOT let me load my saved control profile I have for the F-18. I seriously cannot even play. They bound my mouse axis to cabin lighting and temperature....seriously wtf.

Yep, same thing happened to me as well.

Same here, loading old saved files does nothing... :(

Edited by Hamilton

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

I think the categories changed. Im not really 100% sure because i only say this from remembering but i have the feeling that there are other/more categories now in the control-select. I mean things like "HOTAS, Steering, etc" I dont remember seeing the one called "Extra for Joystick", for example. But i have the names in German, so can be its wrongly translated.

I dont know how this works in DCS, still new here but i can imagine if the xml files changed to another format/layout/structure its simply not possible to use the old ones anymore without errors.

And when i think about the applications i had to do with in my work so far its a normal thing that this changes over the time in a application, especially in EA state.

But im also lucky that im using the hotas preset from the user-files here for the TM16000M. I can just look at the pic to set up all like it was before in a min or 2.

I agree Senchay, I believe the stick and throttle were in their own categories before today, now they are in one called 'HOTAS' (which is more in line with the other study modules).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The voice of the F-14 "Ambush" Trailer and F-14 Tomcat Instructor Pilot

My Rig: Intel i5-7600k | MSI Z-270A PRO | 16GB DDR4 2400 | MSI nVidia GTX 1660 Ti | Saitek X52 Pro | TIR 4 w Pro Clip

yep, got bit too. I just rebuilt the bindings. Took about 15 minutes. (as noted, most likely we'll probably have to do it again down the road, with still being in Alpha. But I'll live with it).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Strangely enough, some of my axis and the user curves i had created with them on the F18 were still functioning. The cursor and slew had to be reset, but the throttle axis and the user curve i Incorporated for the 3d printed afterburner detent were still dead on correct. This is a strange bug indeed.

Think I found a solution.

Short answer is a text replace of

cd38

with

cd13

inside your joystick and throttle's diff.lua file (%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet)

More details to follow...

Edit with details:

The problem is inside of DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua, devices["HOTAS"] was assigned twice, probably a copy+paste error by a developer. The latter assignment overwrote the former, so the HOTAS was assigned the internal device ID of 38. In the new version of the file, the second one was removed (probably when someone added the NVG device and noticed that the cockpit device).

https://i.imgur.com/cGaJnTh.png

So anything assigned to the HOTAS with the old version of DCS would be assigned to cd38 ("cockpit device 38"). This also had the effect of changing other device IDs. So if there was anything assigned to devices 39 and higher, the .diff.lua profiles need to be updated to match the new device ids.

And to add... it would have made much more sense to just use device 13 for the new NVGs. Then backwards compatibility would have been maintained, there would have been no unused device id, and NVG support would still work.

Edited by abelian

Think I found a solution.

Short answer is a text replace of

cd38

with

cd13

inside your joystick and throttle's diff.lua file (%userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet or %userprofile%\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Config\Input\FA-18C_hornet)

More details to follow...

Edit with details:

The problem is inside of DCS World\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\devices.lua, devices["HOTAS"] was assigned twice, probably a copy+paste error by a developer. The latter assignment overwrote the former, so the HOTAS was assigned the internal device ID of 38. In the new version of the file, the second one was removed (probably when someone added the NVG device and noticed that the cockpit device).

https://i.imgur.com/cGaJnTh.png

So anything assigned to the HOTAS with the old version of DCS would be assigned to cd38 ("cockpit device 38"). This also had the effect of changing other device IDs. So if there was anything assigned to devices 39 and higher, the .diff.lua profiles need to be updated to match the new device ids.

And to add... it would have made much more sense to just use device 13 for the new NVGs. Then backwards compatibility would have been maintained, there would have been no unused device id, and NVG support would still work.

Good find. That could very well be it.

Edit: That worked, you are awesome !

Edited by Kayos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Can you share the LUA. for those of us that do not know how to edit them? Thanks

Hi,

sharing the LUA-file will not help you since it's created specifically for my hardware and controls. Sorry about that, but here's an instruction on how to get started.

- Make a backup of the files first. If you've tried to change the controls manually inside DCS after the problem occurred, you're out of luck :(

- Right-click the files and open them with notepad*

- Search the files as described above to the specified text, and replace those characters (don't change anything before/after that text, with the text mentioned above.

Hint: Ctrl+H inside Notepad to find, there you can also "find all" and "replace all" to save some time.

Good luck!

* Although Notepad will work, I highly recommend downloading Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. These programs will greatly improve future editing of LUA-files, and are much more powerful.

Hi,

sharing the LUA-file will not help you since it's created specifically for my hardware and controls. Sorry about that, but here's an instruction on how to get started.

- Make a backup of the files first. If you've tried to change the controls manually inside DCS after the problem occurred, you're out of luck :(

- Right-click the files and open them with notepad*

- Search the files as described above to the specified text, and replace those characters (don't change anything before/after that text, with the text mentioned above.

Hint: Ctrl+H inside Notepad to find, there you can also "find all" and "replace all" to save some time.

Good luck!

* Although Notepad will work, I highly recommend downloading Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code. These programs will greatly improve future editing of LUA-files, and are much more powerful.

I actually came back to edit that as I realized it would not work.

I've noticed that also the possibility to bind TDC to an axis is gone. Bug or intended?

ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming || i7x6700K@4.6GHz || Noctua NH-U14S || Corsair16GB DDR4 - 3000MHz || Asus Strix GTX-1080 TI-11GB || TrackIr 5Pro || Saitek x-55 Rhino || Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals || Win10 pro