do you like the Gaz or Huey

simples really, I always ask you guys on potential next purchases, a little while a go it was on the mi8 or huey, overwhelmingly it was the 8, glad I did really love that old girl, nicely different from the shark.

I never had any interest in a hardly armed miniature copter, :), but recently stating thinking how fun it actually looked and watching videos on nimbleness of it, and really started to love and want it, still torn on the huey as well, having ride of the Valkyries blazing out all the time you fly.

whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.

I think this one is a close call, it was going to be toss a coin for me.

In your case I'd say get the gazelle. You already have experience flying Helos. The Gazelle is the exact opposite of the Mi-8. Lightly armed but agile as hell and far more capable than it appears on first look.

Plus it's quite satisfying to shove a mistral up some Gen4 Jock's arse :)

simples really, I always ask you guys on potential next purchases, a little while a go it was on the mi8 or huey, overwhelmingly it was the 8, glad I did really love that old girl, nicely different from the shark.

I never had any interest in a hardly armed miniature copter, :), but recently stating thinking how fun it actually looked and watching videos on nimbleness of it, and really started to love and want it, still torn on the huey as well, having ride of the Valkyries blazing out all the time you fly.

whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.

I think this one is a close call, it was going to be toss a coin for me.

They are both absolutely great. :thumbup:

The Gazelle is a lot of fun to fly so to the Huey, download and watch :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

... whats your opinion on them and if you do prefer one over the other why.

Both helicopters have their strong points, which one you choose depends on the features you are looking for. Of the 2, I prefer the Huey's flight model but spend most of my time flying the Gazelle, as I've flown the Huey since it first came out and the Gazelle offers something different.

Huey

Lighter/nimbler than the Mi-8, able to get out of VRS easier, common transport in MP, old school ADF navigation, carries loads of ammo for the mini guns, well designed SP campaign, Classic helicopter

WIP EGT damage model limits performance in 2.5, so Huey needs to be flow with reduced 80% loadouts and at lower speeds ATM.

Gazelle

Light helicopter, limited in power, speed (similar to Huey's 110 kt when stripped of weapons) and endurance (~90 min) compared to Mi-8/UH-1H (500 kg of Viviane doesn't help), NADIR (INS) navigation (max 9 waypoints) plus ADF, Clear cockpit instrumentation i.e. torque meter, best DCS multicrew experience, 4 variants/cockpits, only heli with A2A missiles, fun for aerobatics, realistic but somewhat hard SP night campaign.

Can't swap between HOT3, Cannon and Mistral loadouts without switching airframes, so MP servers have to include lots of slots or limit variation of loadout. Gazelle is targeted at night ops but current Viviane IR mode isn't working in 2.5 (reported as fixed in dev build, so due any time). DCS multicrew is WIP and cockpit is subject to desync between players. Flight model or SAS can sometimes feel a little 'strange'. SP campaign really needs 2.5 night lighting to be fixed i.e. so laser pointers are again visible to NVG.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

The Gazelle does respond to cyclic seemingly the same as say the Huey or Mi-8 but seems very centered in position and requires only a slight amount of input to achieve most manoeuvres. This implies CoG never changes but presumably and indeed it works for joystick centered controls.

More here as well.

Just be aware it may feel a little different.

:)

The mi-8 is no slouch either :thumbup:

I think there all great. :music_whistling:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?

Polychop have been quietly working on the Gazelle - fixing stuff or adding missing features for a while now.

I'd say the big fixes to the flight model started appearing Oct. 2017 - so you should probably ignore posts before that date or at least weight them accordingly.

Is the FM perfect - no, but IMHO it's a step above what it was and still being 'tweaked'.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

what about the rumours with the gazelle like "the crazy bugged flightmodel" etc.?

Whilst I am very open minded your reply seems to lack any detail merely pointing to 'rumours", I'd prefer to listen to what IRL pilots have to say even here on this forum and even those with considerable knowledge. Besides robust discussion should flesh out real problems that might be addressed rather then basing anything on simply opinion based hyperbola. :)

'rumours' just cause i've heard it from old (2017) postings. just don't take it literally, might the wrong word was chosen from me :angel:

I see perhaps a language difference, alright Ramsay 's post pretty much sets out the current state, My personal take is that whilst the Gazelles flight model is not perfect and to be fair there are discussions on pretty much every models FM which as I indicated if done in a respectful way can only be a good thing for DCS and the models available.

What I understand of flight is fairly limited so I depend on people with knowledge to explain the issues, show how this affect the FM and what the practical implications are. The publisher has in the past taken on issues raised and worked through them. For me the current state of the Gazelle is not a deal breaker and I understand this is a personal choice others may or may not agree.

BTW I was giving the Huey some love last night and about an hour into some practice I found myself taking off then swinging the Huey and flying backwards and proceeded to fly the circuit backwards (cause I can mostly, maybe I need :helpsmilie:) only to find I exceeded EGT limits. Well first time since the changes to Huey EGT were implemented that I had broke one in this way*. Talk about bugs,.. :megalol: :D

*It's usually the normal method small object collides with large planet size object, planet size object wins. :music_whistling:

So if you have links maybe start a new thread so we can see what these issues are. :thumbup:

• 3 weeks later...

See the post Flight Model V2.

It's not that the FM is bad, I think it is a matter of how they choose to implement the controls. Meaning the interface between user/hardware/sim.

Probably this decision was based in centered spring joysticks, but it is not a good representation. It feels more like flying in Jane's Longbow 2 than in a 2018's sim.

Personally I really don't like it, because for me does not represent what flying a real helicopter is as much as other modules.

Huey also has some details in FM that are a bit odd, like the elastic wobbling roll during cruise with minimal joystick displacement near deadzone, but it feels much more realistic than Gazelle in the FM/user interface/trim.

I like both regarding 3D modeling and sound, Gazelle has better texture work, I believe. And can't beat the fact that has more weapons, specially wired missiles.

It is hard, but if you are choosing based on what flying an helicopter should feel, go for Huey, if you want more systems/weapons, then go for Gazelle.

I hope that in the future they can gives us a more representative interface, specially for FFB joystick users... Right now feels like Apache from Janes LB2.

Mi-8 and Ka-50 are great helicopters also.

Cheers.

ASUS N552VX | i7-6700HQ @ 2.59GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | NVIDIA GF GTX 950M 4 Gb | 250 Gb SSD | 1 Tb HD SATA II Backup | TIR4 | Microsoft S. FF 2+X52 Throttle+Saitek Pedals | Win 10 64 bits

I have both, but I prefer the Gazelle. Partly because it is newer (to me) / novelty effect. But also it seems more effective in combat.

One small complaint: personally, I find the flight controls a tiny bit "sticky". When I make a small movement of the cyclic or collective, the response is zero until it gets outside a small dead zone. With autopilot/trim off or on. To be clear: I do NOT have a dead zone set up in my controls. And this does not happen on my other heli- modules.

Anyway, I do recommend the Gazelle. But at this moment, it is not possible to fly it (in open beta) due to the last update deliberately locking it off from user access. Hope that gets fixed soon.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Setup: Vive Pro 2, RTX 3090, I7-11700K, VKB Gladiator II/K conversion, TWCS, TPR pedals, PlaySeat, SimShaker, VoiceAttack

• 1 month later...

I have all 4 helicopters in DCS, my favorites are the Huey and Gazelle. I had been flying the

Huey almost exclusively for the past year and recently picked up the Gaz. I love the Huey for

it's FM and sling loading abilities in the game. With sling loading you can really have an impact

on what's happening on the battlefield.

I love jumping into the Mistral version of the Gazelle and shooting down the fixed wing planes

that just gunned me in my Huey when I'm on the ground during sling loading....pay back :)

We got a demo last night from one of our pilot who really master the Gazelle and shared his knowledge during our Tuesday's trainings. I can tell you that everybody's mind (including mine) was blown out despite the fact that we spent many hours flying her before, it turned out that we were just scratching the surface. This thing is deadly. Second after the Ka50. I personally never used the autopilot functions and the trimmer with this aircraft, and proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.

(...) proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.

Well then, please share!

I think, many of us would want to know more about the AP and how it does what it does so that the helo's flight behaviour seem so much ... "different" than that of other helos.

Well then, please share!

I think, many of us would want to know more about the AP and how it does what it does so that the helo's flight behaviour seem so much ... "different" than that of other helos.

Completely agree, tell ur friend to make a video and post it round here!

Chinook lover - Rober -

Gazelle is still my number one DCS module.

There are just two things I don't like.

- Viviane /TV optic "stuttering" (very frustrating especially when you zoom in)

- multicrew seems still not working properly. (but this is I guess a DCS issue)

We got a demo last night from one of our pilot who really master the Gazelle and shared his knowledge during our Tuesday's trainings. I can tell you that everybody's mind (including mine) was blown out despite the fact that we spent many hours flying her before, it turned out that we were just scratching the surface. This thing is deadly. Second after the Ka50. I personally never used the autopilot functions and the trimmer with this aircraft, and proper explanation changed everything. At the end of the session, we were all big fans of this chopper.

I know a military flight instructor (EC135) and he really likes the Gazelle and the Mi-8 in DCS.

His "philosophy" is to fly helicopters with as few control inputs as possible and to use autopilot and trim as much as possible. (Which works really good with these 2 helicopters)

Huey also has some details in FM that are a bit odd, like the elastic wobbling roll during cruise with minimal joystick displacement near deadzone, ...

After over a year I flew the dcs Uh1 again this week. And this roll wobbling was too much for me. Not just during cruise, almost always the roll axis was a mess.

Hello guys,

I am helicopter pilot in the French Air Force.

I learned to fly on the gazelle 14 years ago and now I am instructor on another model.

I am very very very disapointed with the gazelle FM.... It is ugly...

It's like a rc model for me.

I am sad because I have expected a lot in the gazelle in DCS in order to feel again the sensation of my first helicopter.

Nevertheless the 3D aspect and the cockpit are very great.

I really hope polychop will improve FM and they have a LOT of job!

Mi8 and Ka50 are for me the best FM

• Thanks 1

Hello guys,

I am helicopter pilot in the French Air Force.

I learned to fly on the gazelle 14 years ago and now I am instructor on another model.

I am very very very disapointed with the gazelle FM.... It is ugly...

It's like a rc model for me.

I am sad because I have expected a lot in the gazelle in DCS in order to feel again the sensation of my first helicopter.

Nevertheless the 3D aspect and the cockpit are very great.

I really hope polychop will improve FM and they have a LOT of job!

Mi8 and Ka50 are for me the best FM

Just saying you are a french pilot doesn't prove anything and more in this forum where a lot of people are "professional" :P

Chinook lover - Rober -

Yes it is true :-)

But all the french military pilots begin in the same school in Dax (all the Armee de terre, armée de l'air, marine nationale and gendarmerie pilots).

And if you check google perhaps you will find that 14years ago, all the french student pilot like me learned to fly on SA341 Gazelle :-)

After one year and aproximatively 135/150hours of flight, we go to Le Luc En provence for the CPL/IR ME qualification on the As555 Fennec and the we return in our Armée to continue the operational learning.

I am now instructor on AS555 Fennec in Orange Airbase for the young pilots who are leaving Le Luc en provence.

Now in Dax there are no more Gazelle...

There are H120.

I don't understand why there is such mistrust in this forum or perhaps just on this post...

Perhaps jealousy... so sad to be like that instead of shearing our passion for military aircrafts...

Edited by Damcopter