what are the assigned keys for the following?

fitness88

In the F-15 I was able to select these individually by mapping them to my HOTAS. Does anyone know either the map keys or the control names for the F-18.

I realize there is a sensor control switch but I'm not comfortable with it.

1. Radar RWS/TWS Mode Select

2. Radar Pulse Repeat Frequency Select

3. Close Air Combat Vertical Scan Mode (VACQ)

4. Close Air Combat Bore Mode (BST)

5. Longitudinal Missile Aiming Mode/FLOOD mode (WACQ)

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

1. RWS is active when your radar is on Operate and not locked, TWS is when a target is locked (Do I have that backwards?)

2. Not sure what that is

3 + 4 + 5 are all part of the sensor control switch (ACM modes) pushing it forward defaults to Bore.

Set your forward, aft, left, right sensor control switch and you will see your ACM modes cycle through during flight

1. RWS is active when your radar is on Operate and not locked, TWS is when a target is locked (Do I have that backwards?)

2. Not sure what that is

3 + 4 + 5 are all part of the sensor control switch (ACM modes) pushing it forward defaults to Bore.

Set your forward, aft, left, right sensor control switch and you will see your ACM modes cycle through during flight

Thanks.

Radar Pulse Repeat Frequency Select is selected for better radar detection of the following aspects, tail, nose or combo of both.

So you're saying there is no individual key command for 3 4 5?

Thanks.

Radar Pulse Repeat Frequency Select is selected for better radar detection of the following aspects, tail, nose or combo of both.

So you're saying there is no individual key command for 3 4 5?

That is correct. Bore, Wide, and Vertical are all part of the ACM modes under the "Sensor Control Switch" in the settings. Once you have those binded, you will be able to cycle through the various modes with your A/A armed.

*currently the only radar modes implemented are RWS, STT, and ACM. RWS being the normal scanning when you turn the radar on, STT once you're locked onto an aircraft, and ACM being the ideal locking method for dogfights or anything 10nm and under.

Edited by Baitball
More info

The poster above is wrong on RWS/TWS (he's confused TWS for STT). TWS isn't implemented on the Hornet yet, so you can't switch between them (I think this is done via a button next to the DDI in the real Hornet, I don't think there's a HOTAS button for it).

PRF isn't implemented yet either.

3, 4 and 5 are all dealt with via the Sensor Control switch (castle switch) - it's a four-way switch that has controls that change based on context. Outside of AA mode, the sensor control switch changes the TDC priority (so which screen the TDC is active on) - forward for HUD, left for left DDI, right for right DDI, down for the MPCD. In AA mode, it does the same for left/right/down, but forward enters ACM modes - pressing forward puts you into boresight, left enters WACQ and down enters vertical scan mode (right will eventually be AACQ, but it's not implemented). FLOOD mode isn't implemented yet.

You don't really have a choice about being 'comfortable' with the Sensor Control switch - it's a key part of the Hornet's controls.

Edited by backspace340

You're looking for "Sensor Control Switch" Forward, Aft, Left and Right. I don't believe there's a specific mapping available for those functions of the SCS... I don't think there are specific controls in the Hornet to select them either.

You mention the F-15... The Hornet doesn't work like that. The F15 has a somewhat simplified way of being interacted with. It's not based on the cockpit. The F-18 is based on controlling the systems through the cockpit like you would IRL. So... this means that if there isn't a specific button in the cockpit to put the systems in VACQ then there also won't be a way to map it directly. You have to map the buttons the pilots would use to get to VACQ mode. In this case... in A2A mode you press the SCS hat upwards to get to BST, then down to get to VACQ.

I don't think PRF is changeable in the Hornet yet... Early access and all :). Seems to work alright without it though really, but it'll help when it's implemented for sure.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

In the F-15 I was able to select these individually by mapping them to my HOTAS. Does anyone know either the map keys or the control names for the F-18.

I realize there is a sensor control switch but I'm not comfortable with it.

1. Radar RWS/TWS Mode Select

2. Radar Pulse Repeat Frequency Select

3. Close Air Combat Vertical Scan Mode (VACQ)

4. Close Air Combat Bore Mode (BST)

5. Longitudinal Missile Aiming Mode/FLOOD mode (WACQ)

Thank you.

When you fly study sims like the F/A-18 or BMS F-16, you’ll be introduced to layered switcholoy whereby the hat and certain buttons/switches do different things in different modes (NAV, A2A, AG). It may be strange at first but you’ll find it’s a smarter and more efficient way to use the hotas and it is how the real aircraft works. It also makes programming the stick in the sim easier but you’ll need trackIR to free up the POV hat. (I played F-15C too. I think the individual ACM commands is a simplification of sorts for the sim and not the way the hotas works in a real F-15.)

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4
HOTAS Warthog | TrackIR 5 |
My Files | Windows 10 Home x64

Thanks all for this great info!

Yes I've had the SCS bound to my HOTAS but didn't understand from the manual what exactly it does.

Your info certainly clarifies the multi-function roll of the sensor control switch with regards to layered switcholoy. I will be further studying it later today and I'm now beginning to see the advantages it offers.

I was clear on RWS/TWS mode [range while scan/track while scan] with no confusion on STT [single target track] locking up a tgt.

I now also understand that mapping a button/switch is only possible if the actual button/switch exists IRL. As for the macro-like controlling the HOTAS does with the SCS it saves lots of buttons/switches.

Thanks again.

1. How do I get out of ACM mode once I enter it besides deactivation of the A2A?
  2. I've mapped my 3 A2A missiles to my HOTAS...is this the only way to select?
  3. If the only purpose of prioritizing a DDI is to give TDC control to the radar DDI, why can the HSI be prioritized it has no TDC?

Edited by fitness88

1. How do I get out of ACM mode once I enter it besides deactivation of the A2A?
  2. I've mapped my 3 A2A missiles to my HOTAS...is this the only way to select?
  3. If the only purpose of prioritizing a DDI is to give TDC control to the radar DDI, why can the HSI be prioritized it has no TDC?

1. Target undesignate command leaves ACM mode. Not the most intuitive I find.

2. Yes as there is no weapon cycling. The 4th will be Aim-120 at a later release stage. Not sure why it is like this. If I recall right, BMS F-16 is different and has missile stepping.

3. Not sure but I think future developments will require it. The aircraft avionics is not complete yet.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8GB | 32GB Adata Spectrix D50 3600 Mhz (16x2) | Asus B550 TUF Plus Gaming | 2TB Aorus Gen4

1. Target undesignate command leaves ACM mode. Not the most intuitive I find.

2. Yes as there is no weapon cycling. The 4th will be Aim-120 at a later release stage. Not sure why it is like this. If I recall right, BMS F-16 is different and has missile stepping.

3. Not sure but I think future developments will require it. The aircraft avionics is not complete yet.

From the early release manual, RE: #2

There is only 3 A2A + gun

• Forward: AIM-7 Sparrow (no function for this Early Access version)

• Press Down: AIM-9 Sidewinder

• Aft: M61A2 20mm Gun

• Right: AIM-120 AMRAAM (no function for this Early Access version)

• Left: No Function

Would be nice if there was indeed missile stepping.

Thanks to both for the follow-up info.

From the early release manual, RE: #2

There is only 3 A2A + gun

• Forward: AIM-7 Sparrow (no function for this Early Access version)

• Press Down: AIM-9 Sidewinder

• Aft: M61A2 20mm Gun

• Right: AIM-120 AMRAAM (no function for this Early Access version)

• Left: No Function

Would be nice if there was indeed missile stepping.

Thanks to both for the follow-up info.

The Aim-7 Sparrow is available in the early access. (Not sure why the manual said no. The manual isn't totally up-to-date. For example, it talks about AACQ which isn't implemented yet.)

Missile cycling can be done for the different Aim-9 L/M/P versions by re-selecting Aim-9 again. Not sure about the 2 Sparrow versions (M/F) or Aim-120s in future. But looks like you can't cycle different missile 'types'.

You can map the weapon select any way you like it or follow the manual which is how it is in the real F-18 (if you have a good Hotas with a 5-way switch). I have a T.Flight HotasX and have the weapons mapped as...

POV Hat: Fwd = Aim120 / Aft = Sparrow / Rt = Aim9 / Lft = Uncage

Trigger: Modifier + Trigger = Guns

Edited by GrEaSeLiTeNiN

The sensor controls (up, down, left, right, designate) all have button mapping, it's one of the comma, period, forward slash semi-colon mappings. Undesignate is rolled into the pinkie switch NWS/undesignate command which also has a button mapping, I'm thinking it's S but I cant remember for sure. If you go to the HOTAS section of the controls you see them as something like sensor left, right, and so on. All should function correctly with their layered commands after you place them.

Am I making this too simple? I feel like I must have missed the question.

The sensor controls (up, down, left, right, designate) all have button mapping, it's one of the comma, period, forward slash semi-colon mappings. Undesignate is rolled into the pinkie switch NWS/undesignate command which also has a button mapping, I'm thinking it's S but I cant remember for sure. If you go to the HOTAS section of the controls you see them as something like sensor left, right, and so on. All should function correctly with their layered commands after you place them.

Am I making this too simple? I feel like I must have missed the question.

Sensor control switch was what we were referring to, different from what you are referring to which is the TDC [Throttle Designator Controller].

The Aim-7 Sparrow is available in the early access. (Not sure why the manual said no. The manual isn't totally up-to-date. For example, it talks about AACQ which isn't implemented yet.)

Missile cycling can be done for the different Aim-9 L/M/P versions by re-selecting Aim-9 again. Not sure about the 2 Sparrow versions (M/F) or Aim-120s in future. But looks like you can't cycle different missile 'types'.

You can map the weapon select any way you like it or follow the manual which is how it is in the real F-18 (if you have a good Hotas with a 5-way switch). I have a T.Flight HotasX and have the weapons mapped as...

POV Hat: Fwd = Aim120 / Aft = Sparrow / Rt = Aim9 / Lft = Uncage

Trigger: Modifier + Trigger = Guns

I know there is a list somewhere of the features not yet implemented but I think that too is out dated.

• 4 years later...
On 7/13/2018 at 9:23 AM, Gorgok said:

1. Undesignate/NWS button i believe.

2. I think so.

3. You can slew waypoints around and stuff on the HSI with the TDC controls, for which you need to set it as the diamond thing.

How do I change waypoints in HSI. I can slew it (put the diamond in it) but there is no any cursor etc. What can, and how can I actually change em in. Or is it just only in IRL? Can I do it in DCS?. My maingoal here is can I change waypoints designate em etc with hotas WITHOUT binding the display buttons emselves?