Bit the bullet.... ordered a new pc for VR

LithiumR

I live on a 40' sailboat so space is at a premium!! Which leaves me with laptop options only. I got a ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K with i7 7th Gen 7820HK (2.90 GHz) and an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080. Hope this works! I think I'm getting the Samsung Odyssey HMD.

What do you guys think?

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

Just ordered the Samsung Odyssey. Can't wait!

ASUS ROG G701VI-XS72K 17.3" - i7 7820HK - GTX 1080 8GB - 32 GB 2666mhz - 512 GB SSD - Win10 Pro 64-Bit - T̶r̶a̶c̶k̶I̶R̶5̶ - Samsung Odyssey HMD!! (Amazing!!) - X56 Rhino HOTAS

Some experience motion sickness initially with VR.

Don't suppose you need to worry bout this.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Some experience motion sickness initially with VR.

Don't suppose you need to worry bout this.

Maybe ha ha! We've been out in some big seas and I'm fine... other times conditions are benign and I don't get sick but I FEEL.... strange. It's weird and hard to explain. We'll see what happens in VR. I'm excited. Might be strange when the storms come through and the boat is rocking while in VR!!

ADD: Really hope this laptop runs VR at a decent framerate. I hope so.

Good Luck

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

Will Silent Hunter 6 have VR support? You already have the motion "simulator". That'd be sick! (Quite literally)

Wish you lots of fun with your new setup :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Got my laptop today

Here is what steam says about my laptop running VR! Good sign I hope!

steamvr.thumb.PNG.6cda878c77d840f451544531910a09b3.PNG

If you are not happy with the performance of a laptop, another option could be my Mini-PC (look at my specs).

Had a laptop before, but wanted to have a more powerful pc without needing a big tower case. So the Thermaltake Core V1 with water cooling is really small and I did manage to get all the powerful stuff inside.

I am not living on a boat, even if I have just returned from a sailing trip at Sardinia. Really don´t want to think of the motion sickness you will get during bad weather :cry:

PC: Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | Palit GeForce RTX 4090 Game Rock OC | 64 GB Patriot VIPER VENOM DDR5-6000

Input: Brunner CLS-E FFB Base | Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick & Throttle | Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder | WinWing Phoenix MIP (VR) - F16 ICP - PTO2 | VPC SharKA-50 Collective 

VR: HP Reverb G2

Motion-Platform: Motionsystems PS-6TM-150 | Monstertech MTX

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/@madmontys6dofmotionplatfor386/featured

I am in complete awe. It took a minute to really get everything setup with the sweet spot and I wasn't even sure if I liked it at first but after a couple of days now I have decided that this is it. My trackir is retired lol. It's hard to describe what it looks like. That was my biggest question before buying a headset. It's true what people said.... no screenshot or video can show you what it's like or what it looks like. I don't think I'll ever go back to 2D. The graphics aren't perfect in VR but they are pretty decent and the immersion is..... Whoa!! If someone is on the fence about it I'd say go for it. Seriously, it takes a little tweaking and getting used to but it is flat out amazing.

I found that setting both the Odyssey’s and in-game IPD to my actual IPD made for a true-to-life sized cockpit.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I found that setting both the Odyssey’s and in-game IPD to my actual IPD made for a true-to-life sized cockpit.

I did change the force IPD but it messes up the menus. I can still use them but it hurts my eyes to try to focus on them. The game looks better but the menus are all screwy. IDK if there is a fix for that?

I am in complete awe. It took a minute to really get everything setup with the sweet spot and I wasn't even sure if I liked it at first but after a couple of days now I have decided that this is it. My trackir is retired lol. It's hard to describe what it looks like. That was my biggest question before buying a headset. It's true what people said.... no screenshot or video can show you what it's like or what it looks like. I don't think I'll ever go back to 2D. The graphics aren't perfect in VR but they are pretty decent and the immersion is..... Whoa!! If someone is on the fence about it I'd say go for it. Seriously, it takes a little tweaking and getting used to but it is flat out amazing.

Welcome to the dark...errrr, VR Side! :)

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1