VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

So. After struggling to get an acceptable level of graphic fidelity and frame per second I gave up and downloaded the mod on page 1.

Wow! What a difference.

I've been able to turn up textures, increase visible range to high, leave shadows on (albeit flat) and have 2x msaa. I'm getting a rock solid 36fps even on heavy missions.

My system isn't that great and this mod has been the difference between playing in a vague blurry mess to having DCs look almost as good as on my monitor.

I can read mfds in the harrier. I can read all my dials in the su25T.

And best of all. No shitty canopy reflections.

Win!

Spec; i5 4690k (4.5ghz)

Rog strix RTX 2070

16gb Ram

DCs on its own ssd.

Windows on its own ssd.

Oculus quest v1 via USB 3.0 cable.

Using Oculus launcher with device graphics set to 72hz refresh and PD 1.1

DCs PD 1.1.

DCs textures high

Ground textures low

Heat blur etc off.

Water high

Clouds ultra

Preload at 7500

Forests and ground clutter all sliders to the right.

Stopped using Oculus tray tool as it's a resource hog and didn't deliver any benefits to the graphics quality.

Thank you to the creator and maintainers.

• Like 3

Agree on the OTT part, definitely not for me.

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

• 2 weeks later...

I am also have problem with the mod. I installed the latest 2.7.x stable and the latest mod from here. Copy to bazar, not working. Delete the shaders, try to repair and copy again ... still no circular mask on the image. What can I do wrong?

The dev said:

" - Removed the ENABLE_HMD_MASK & MASKSIZE settings as a correct mask is included in DCS now"

What that means? The DCS using mask itself? Why I do not see on the screen as before or as in FS2020? So I am confused with this, before 2.7 was more clear for me.

Edited by bunnyhu

11 hours ago, bunnyhu said:

" - Removed the ENABLE_HMD_MASK & MASKSIZE settings as a correct mask is included in DCS now"

What that means? The DCS using mask itself? Why I do not see on the screen as before or as in FS2020? So I am confused with this, before 2.7 was more clear for me.

Yes. you can see this for yourself in the options menu in VR.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

3 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Yes. you can see this for yourself in the options menu in VR.

wich one? The MSAA Mask I think is different thing. I see nothing else.

update: Still I do not see any settings in DCS, but see the crop. That is working only when you fly, not on the main menu window like this plugin before 2.7.

But the factory cropping is much larger, more pixel less performance than this vr shader was before update. It would be nice, if the curcular size will be adjustable.

Edited by bunnyhu

Quick question: with the patch coming out today should I 'uninstall' the shaders mod before patching? Does that matter? I've heard it referenced for other mods like the A4 community mod but wasn't sure if such a precaution would be applied to these as well. As always, if this was answered in a previous post 1000 times I apologize, didn't see it mentioned in my search attempts

19 minutes ago, grifnizzle said:

Quick question: with the patch coming out today should I 'uninstall' the shaders mod before patching? Does that matter? I've heard it referenced for other mods like the A4 community mod but wasn't sure if such a precaution would be applied to these as well. As always, if this was answered in a previous post 1000 times I apologize, didn't see it mentioned in my search attempts

Always uninstall any mods that goes into main install path and reapply.  Why you should be using mod manager.  You can keep SavedGames mods.

• Thanks 1

Hey Guys,

I'm running stable version 2.7.1.7139 and when I try to use any of shaders mod (Kegety, clear water from speed-of-heat, IC pass) I get the same error:

"HMDMask.fx" failed to compile. I tried copying the file from the original bazar but then I get into to a spiral of different errors. I tried repairing, clean install ... So far nothing worked. If I restore the original Bazar folder, everything is gravy. Any one had this issue?

Thanks

12.PNG

Any ideas how to get rid of that ugly baked-in reflections in A-10C?

A-10CII looks fine in VR with shaders mod and HUD Fix and No Cockpit Reflection mod

But i can't find any "no reflections" mod for the old Warthog module (

upd: solved! "ENABLE_SIMPLE_CANOPY" setting to 0 removes fake reflections.

Edited by biotech
Спойлер

i7 13700KF @ 5,4 GHz; DDR5 64GB RAM; Palit RTX 4090; AOC AG352UCG 35" 3440x1440; Win11.
Oculus Quest Pro.
"Marksman-L" rudder by MyCyJIbMaHuH ; VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base; VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip; VPC MongoosT-50CM Throttle.

My settings for VR

Hello, 

In the release notes there was a mention of removing one of the GBuffers. I assume that is the reason why some effects like heat blur only render to one eye in vr. 

I find that rather distracting and i'm looking for a way to fix that. 

Is the ic-pass version better in that regard?

What are the performance differences between full mod and ic-pass mod?

Thanks

Edited by Karza_357

if you look at my 3090 settings i detail the performance differences there

• Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I need some help or clarification on using OVGME correctly.

Im not sure where to create the root and mods folder.

Do have to do this in the saved games folder or in the installation directory where DCS OB is installed?

And i just copy the mods to the created mods folder and enable the mods in ovgme and its done?

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

1 hour ago, RvL said:

I need some help or clarification on using OVGME correctly.

Im not sure where to create the root and mods folder.

Do have to do this in the saved games folder or in the installation directory where DCS OB is installed?

And i just copy the mods to the created mods folder and enable the mods in ovgme and its done?

The answer is both really. Ideally you want to set up 2 profiles within OVGME using the "new" button at the top right, 1 which points at your saved games DCS folder and the other which points at your DCS installation folder. Then create a seperate mods folder in each of those profiles. Mods such as this one should be placed in your DCS installation mods folder, and you use the DCS installation ovgme profile to access and apply them. Other mods, such as aircraft and liveries mods, go in the saved games mods folder, and you used the saved games ovgme profile to access and apply them there.

It's usually apparent which mods go where - saved games or installation, but you can always ask.

Make sure that the mods you place in either of those mods folders have the correct folder structure. Their root folder should be the name of the mod, then below that the structure should match their target folders.

So for example, this mod has the folder structure..

DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.0.4625

bazar

shaders

deferred

enlight

Materialfactory..

..etc, because it writes files to the deferred, enlight and Materialfactory sub-folders in your DCS installation folder.

..so in this instance, all you need to do is place the "DCS VR Shaders mod for 2.7.0.4625" folder in your DCS installation ovgme folder. When you run that ovgme profile, you'll see that mod name listed and all you do is select it and click apply and you're done.

• Like 1

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

@ShaunX

Thanks for the detailed information!

Greatly appreciated!

Unfortunetaly it causes a lot of MP crashes.

Edited by RvL

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

3 hours ago, RvL said:

@ShaunX

Thanks for the detailed information!

Greatly appreciated!

Unfortunetaly it causes a lot of MP crashes.

That's because you need the IC pass version of the mod for MP. See this thread ..

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

2 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

That's because you need the IC pass version of the mod for MP. See this thread ..

I specifically used that version since im 99% playing online.

Im able to get online and fly but it causes me CTD frequently.

Sometimes even when just loading into MP.

Edited by RvL

3 minutes ago, RvL said:

Bummer. Perhaps report the issue in that thread.

2 hours ago, RvL said:

try uninstalling any other mods

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

51 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

try uninstalling any other mods

I dont have anything else installed

then, its unlikely to be that

sorry i dont know what to say ... if you are getting crashes, i can only suggest uninstalling it.

On 6/17/2021 at 3:27 AM, bruno.spoon said:

Hey Guys,

I'm running stable version 2.7.1.7139 and when I try to use any of shaders mod (Kegety, clear water from speed-of-heat, IC pass) I get the same error:

"HMDMask.fx" failed to compile. I tried copying the file from the original bazar but then I get into to a spiral of different errors. I tried repairing, clean install ... So far nothing worked. If I restore the original Bazar folder, everything is gravy. Any one had this issue?

Thanks

12.PNG

After doing another clean install, system fresh install,  and even trying the open beta I now get this on the log:

I have also tried deleting options.lua, autoexec ...

"

2021-06-22 00:36:17.630 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Can't find precompiled shader deferred/resolvedepth.fx:DIRECTX11=true;MSAA=4;USE_DCS_DEFERRED=1;.
2021-06-22 00:36:17.630 INFO    DX11BACKEND: Compile shader: deferred/resolvedepth.fx:DIRECTX11=true;MSAA=4;USE_DCS_DEFERRED=1;
2021-06-22 00:36:17.630 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Shader "deferred/ResolveDepth.fx" failed to compile - HRESULT: ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND

"

The main thing I wan from the mod is to get rid of the reflections, I can't find  _HMD.hlsl" to enable  simple_canopy. Does anyone knows where to set that on 2.7.1 ?

Thank you

Edited by bruno.spoon

is the mod still installed? try also dropping to x2 MSAA, x4 msaa in vr is a huge lift for most processors.

have you tried the MOD outside of MP? it looks like you might be getting a time out try running the scenario SP, and then leave dcs, then go back into that exact scenario in MP, without going into single player?

ResolveDepth.fx is not part of the mod, so not sure whats going on.

the location of the file is bazar\shaders\deferred\_HMD.hlsl