VR Shaders mod for better VR experience

Thanks for the reply, this is a useful testimony. I still have a few questions to ask you.

At what distance are you from the monitor (32inch) when you use it?

You play 4k in vr right?

Can you give me a screenshots of the graphic settings?

What are your fps, minimum and average?

So you said to see the ground units better, the sightings of airplanes are the same?

The image is a little blurred in vr compared to the monitor?

Are you sure you are fully understanding this? Maybe I am misunderstanding you, and if that is the case, I apologise.

No one plays VR in 4K. I was talking about 2 different scenarios. Firstly, when using TrackIR and looking at a 4K monitor, and secondly, using a VR headset which has nothing to do with monitors at all.

Fps is almost pointless to mention, as it depends so much on personal preference in terms of visual quality vs performance. Also, fps in VR - in my opinion - doesn't really compare with monitor fps as there are various processes, e.g. Motion Smoothing or ASW, kicking in. I only tend to see 30, 45 or 60 fps with pretty high settings in VR, whereas on my monitor, I always run at a frame limited 58fps at all times.

Re sightings of airplanes, I always have trouble with this in DCS whether on monitor or VR, so I tend to switch on abbreviated labels when necessary. I don't find the spotting situation any better or worse in VR however.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Are you sure you are fully understanding this? Maybe I am misunderstanding you, and if that is the case, I apologise.

No one plays VR in 4K. I was talking about 2 different scenarios. Firstly, when using TrackIR and looking at a 4K monitor, and secondly, using a VR headset which has nothing to do with monitors at all.

For when it concerns the deifference between monitor and vr you have been clear. I'm just ignorant of vr. Currently how does the resolution in the vr, do you set within the settings of the game? or is there a separate vr program?

For when it concerns the deifference between monitor and vr you have been clear. I'm just ignorant of vr. Currently how does the resolution in the vr, do you set within the settings of the game? or is there a separate vr program?

The resolution is determined by your VR headset. In the case of my Vive Pro, that is 2x1440x1600, i.e. 2880x1600, and in the case of the Rift and original Vive, 2160x1200.

This however, is complicated by the PD (and SteamVR SuperSampling) setting as they can increase the pixel density of what you see.

What level you can set these to, and still get a reasonable performance in DCS, is down to your system.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

is last version Download for DCS World 2.5.4.25729

compatible with last patch?

2.5.4.26552 ??????

Was there a response to this post ? Didn't see it; I'd like to know, too, please.

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

Unfortunately, I am receiving the same error as sirrah and neither the repair nor clean up CMD line arguments fixed the problem. I also tried deleting the relevant folders in Saved Games>DCS.openbeta so DCS could rebuild them but that didn't fix it either. Any additional suggestions? Thanks!

picture.php?albumid=1313&pictureid=10406

Edited by RudderButt

The resolution is determined by your VR headset. In the case of my Vive Pro, that is 2x1440x1600, i.e. 2880x1600, and in the case of the Rift and original Vive, 2160x1200.

This however, is complicated by the PD (and SteamVR SuperSampling) setting as they can increase the pixel density of what you see.

What level you can set these to, and still get a reasonable performance in DCS, is down to your system.

So you cant set the resolution of vr in the game settings?

So you cant set the resolution of vr in the game settings?

No, you can’t!

Works fine for me, so yes you can use it :)

Thanks !

I tried it (lite version) and it worked, although I've got a problem that required uninstallation.

Let me explain... Hopefully someone will step in and provide his/her experience.

TL;DR : not sure it worked at first, my FPS were the same in the end ; also had to uninstall but don't know why.

Here's what I did :

1. installed the mod and cleaned up the shader cache (both in terrain and saved games/fxo, saved games/metashaders2)

2. started up the game with MSAAx2 (previously I didn't use MSAA) and after about 20 minutes (yeah that's long) it generated almost 400 metashader files for 140MB, then started

3. noticed that FPS were good, as good as without MSAA before ; decided to crank up MSAA to x4 ; noticed that the mod was up (I think) because of a black ring around the FOV in the 2D screen mirror (but not in the HMD)

4. modified the setting, restarted the game

5. waited (main loading screen) forever, the log saying that a few shaders needed recompiling (having a MSAA4 in their name so I gathered it was because of the MSAA change)

6. gave up after 10 minutes with no progress whatsoever (nothing in the log, no change in the shader files)

7. restarted : same difference

8. reset to MSAAx2 : again, stuck

9. deleted all metashaders and restarted : stuck

10. got back to no mod and cleared shaders : worked after a few seconds

11. tried MSAAx2 without the mod : does not change FPS significantly.

Any idea what went wrong ?

Was the mod correctly installed ?

Zip - VEAF :pilotfly:

If you want to learn, talk and fly with french-speaking friends, the Virtual European Air Force is here for you ! Meet us on our Discord and our forum

If you're a mission creator, you may want to check the VEAF Mission Creation Tools (and its GitHub repository) a set of open-source scripts and tools that make creating a dynamic mission a breeze !

I am experiencing video corruption with this shader mod. See image. Only a few missions in both Caucasus and PG maps. Pretty sure it is this mod. If I disable it with OvGME, video returns to normal.

Is it possible to only take benefit from stuff inside the _HMD file ? (masksize and MSAA area smaller than original values)

Only using _HMD file does nothing. Maybe some other files are needed for masksize/MSAA-area to be applied ?

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303288/

Not tooting my own horn; still Kegetys' work...

This was inspiration

Edited by kojdog

• 2 weeks later...
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3303288/

Not tooting my own horn; still Kegetys' work...

This was inspiration

I have huge shimmering with the mod in the latest openbeta...

I would like to use only the mask as msaa mask...to improve performance...

With your linked file will be possible to achieve that?

It is updated to the latest kegetys version?

Thanks for your work

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Is it possible to only take benefit from stuff inside the _HMD file ? (masksize and MSAA area smaller than original values)

Only using _HMD file does nothing. Maybe some other files are needed for masksize/MSAA-area to be applied ?

Yep, I would like to see that as well!

Just tried it out and... WOW!

This mod is OUTSTANDING - a perfect 10! Thanks to you, Kojdog, and Kegety for putting it all in place. I see a major improvement on all my terrains of about 30 to 40 fps in the regular game and I intended to do a quick VR check with my Oculus and then I was going to comment. Here it is 3 hours later and I'm now commenting, becausing it is AWESOME! I feel as if I just installed a new graphics card. I couldn't get enough of simply zooming all over the Persian Gulf map in the F-5N at 800 kts down on the deck. I'd then pull up and see how high I could take her... 47,000 ft and I must say - the Earth is ROUND! It is so beautiful in DCS! Dark blue/black sky and the atmospheric effect is just a sight to behold.

I'm getting a solid 45 fps and it's smooth with a like 98% of the time which is GREAT. I was even able to crank up my PPD up to 2.0 with quite a few stutters - but at 1.7 is smooth. For everyday use though I put at at 1.5 because I'll be having more going on in the missions. Most settings are on medium with 2x MSAA and 16x Anisotropic filtering.

So yeah, you could say I'm extremely grateful to you guys who came up with this awesome mod. I'm having the best simming/VR experience of my life. Thanks!:thumbup:

As Highwayman-Ed said earlier, 0.600f is great with the Oculus.

Edited by Hawker77

I have applied the MOD and I think I see an improvement especially visual. I wanted to ask what mask size to use for Samsung Odessey?

I can confirm to be patient when loading it probably took 10 minutes between first startup and the first mission.

Peter

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

I am having a weird problem since applying the mod, the mouse does not move anymore in DCS, I have to Alt-Tab to WMR, press win + Y than Alt-Tab back to DCS but don't put on the HMD yet otherwise the mouse freezes again, as long as I just pick one thing I put the HMD back on.

So I was going to uninstall the MOD, I deleted the contents of FXO and Metashaders2. But there was no DCS directory in the terrain folder I changed. Is this normal?

EDIT: I did a repair on DCS and it got fixed

Edited by DutchCoolHand

AMD RYZEN 7 2700 / 32GB / RTX2070 / 500GB M.2 with Windows and DCS / 2 - 500GB SSD / Rift S/ TM Warthog with F18 stick and Virpil WarBRD / Foxx Mounts/ MFG Crosswind rudders + 3 MFD's | Now enjoying VR with PointCTRL controllers + Gamematrix JetSeat

When I use this mod the trees look black, is that normal or is there a fix for it? Also is this mod IC compatible?

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

When I use this mod the trees look black, is that normal or is there a fix for it? Also is this mod IC compatible?

That usually means you haven’t cleared out your fxo and metashaders2 folders.

That usually means you haven’t cleared out your fxo and metashaders2 folders.

I definitely did delete them in the saved game folder. Still get black trees.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

I definitely did delete them in the saved game folder. Still get black trees.

When I was using that mod, that’s what solved the black tree issue for me. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

When I was using that mod, that’s what solved the black tree issue for me. Sorry I couldn’t be more help.

The last Open Beta update made it so the VR mod's shadows.hlsl (Bazar/shaders/deferred/) causes black trees. Just delete this file out of the mod.

I use the 'Lite' version so other files from the main VR mod may also cause issues at this point. You can try searching for the 'Lite' version, deleting the shadows.hlsl from that, and then proceeding.